Energy Issues - Matterfab

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

katistrofik

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know what "tier" to consider ourselves in, tech-wise, but we've run in to a pretty big problem with energy (EU) for our base. We have about 70 Advanced Solar Panels and 6 Hybrid Solar Panels powering 2 MFSUs, which we use to power our base and our matter fabricator. During the day, we're fine. We've reached a point where we can power everything, including the matter fabricator and even gain a few thousand EU during the day. At night, however, obviously, we have to cut power to the matter fabricator so that we can power the rest of the base. What are we doing wrong other than limiting ourselves to solar power? What can we do increase EU generation? We're at the point where all we can do is wait for the matterfab to create iridium for us so that we can make more hybrid panels.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
Build yourself another MFSU and attach, maybe, 10 of those advanced panels (or 10 new ones) onto only the new MFSU, then power your other machines from that. The matterfab will suck down up to 8192 EU/t (I believe) so it's just crazy to think solar could handle that at night. It's stealing the other machines' power, so just separate them.[DOUBLEPOST=1354815350][/DOUBLEPOST]Actually, just move the two MFSUs you have onto the new power grid. You don't need them attached to the matterfabricator - you can wire the solars straight into it until they're producing more power than it can handle.

katistrofik

Jul 29, 2019
We're kind of moving towards that, since having all our machines on is nowhere near as taxing on power consumption as a matterfabricator. But we can't our matterfabricator to be as efficient as possible - even at night. I've read that pumping lava from the nether with a magma crucible works, but I also hear that you need enderchests for this. The problem with that is that there are so many people on this server that we're afraid of our energy getting siphoned by some griefer. Nuclear power works, I guess, but requires too much maintenance for it to be a viable and fast power source for the matterfabricator... maybe I'm missing something.

MrZwij

Jul 29, 2019
I think the point of GregTech in general is to make you work hard for things. So yeah, if you want power at night, you're gonna have to pull all the tricks you have out of the bag. Nuclear, geothermal, whatever. Throw it all in there until you have enough power to exceed what the matterfab wants. Then start working on an AESU. Or two. :) Build more hybrids to charge the AESUs during the day so they can dump into the matterfab at night.

alexanderpas

Jul 29, 2019
have 2 MFSU in series, read the state with buildcraft gates.

turn off the massfab in the last MFSU is empty.

Exedra

Jul 29, 2019
If you want a different solution, you could have the solar panels in an eternal day age, and transfer the power with carts, energy (un)loaders and mystcraft portals.

kevinthedude2000

Jul 29, 2019
1 hybrid panel should be enough for your machines, just put the MFSUs and 1 hybrid on a power grid for your machines, and put everything else on the matterfab.
(also, i dont think pure solar is ever a good idea. The easiest way to get power is always the worst one)

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
I did some experimenting with a matter fab and a quantum generator. I filled the matter fab with scrap and started upping the output of the generator. It got it up to 100k EU/t before I quit. Max packet size is 8192 before explosion.

The matter fab, like the mass fab, seems to have no maximum power usage, except possibly enough to make 1 UUM per tick. If you dedicate generators to it don't store the energy unless energy production outpaces scrap production.

Alternatively, you could fork the cable from the generators, one branch to storage and the other to the matter fab with a splitter cable. Set one of the storage units to emit if empty and wire redstone to the splitter cable.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
I must be wrong but the mfap doesnt need that much energy in the first place
you just let him the whole bandwidth
just put a AESU in front of it and cap it down or use converters
it can run the whole time on 1EU/t if you want
it just produces not much uum ^^

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
1.6m EU at 1EU/t? That's about 23 hours per UUM, or 1 iridium per week. Wait, let me double check that...

It's actually 16m EU, so 231 hours per UUM, or 9.6 days. Not much UUM? You don't say.:rolleyes:

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
1.6m EU at 1EU/t? That's about 23 hours per UUM, or 1 iridium per week. Wait, let me double check that...

It's actually 16m EU, so 231 hours per UUM, or 9.6 days. Not much UUM? You don't say.:rolleyes:

well I just hope the OP understands the problem.
its not a matter of power _generation_ but of power _storage/usage_

Juanitierno

Jul 29, 2019
I BELIEVE you can "player lock" the enderchests by using a diamond on the combination lock, check chickenbones forum post:

"As of 1.2, Using a diamond on the latch of an Ender Chest will move it to a seperate network for the player that used the diamond. This allows each player to have acceess to all 4096 frequencies without conflicting in SMP."

blueliger

Jul 29, 2019
I use the redstone do not output unless full on the mfsu feeding the matter fab. For machines I have on a mfe converted to LV for all the machines. 20 geothermals fill both and any excess goes to the matterfab

katistrofik

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty sure my way is cheaper. xD

Unfortunately, the server we're playing on has disabled Mystcraft and Computercraft. I might look a little deeper into nuclear energy and lava from the nether + a large array of geothermals[DOUBLEPOST=1354922124][/DOUBLEPOST]
Unfortunately, the server we're playing on has disabled Mystcraft and Computercraft. I might look a little deeper into nuclear energy and lava from the nether + a large array of geothermals

Also, thanks to everyone for their suggestions