Energy bridge alternative - Unleashed

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
Is there any alternative way to convert EU into MJ and the other way around in Unleashed?

I used to use HV Consumer-Energy Bridge-BC Producer, but they don't seem to be in Unleashed :(

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
you can use forestry`s electric engine to convert EU to MJ.
there is no direct conversion of MJ to EU, but you can convert MJ into lava with magma crucible and use for EU generation.

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
You can also use the lava (geothermal generator/magmatic engine) and oil fabricators (refinery ==> fuel ==> boiler: industrial steam engine/steam turbine) from MFR. They run on both EU and MJ so work both ways.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Power Converters is indeed in Unleashed, but disabled by default.
it`s probably because there is no GT. since GT adds power greed machinery without countering it with proper generation, steam to EU conversion becomes best deal for mid voltage EU generation.

Reactions: namiasdf

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
Power Converters is indeed in Unleashed, but disabled by default.
Oh, didn't know I had missed that, thanks for letting me know :)

How do I enable the jar files? Right now they're PowerConverters.jar.disabled

IlliniJeeper

Jul 29, 2019
Thought that would corrupt the files :p
Thank you! :)

e/ do I just add .disabled to disable them?

You can add ".herpderp" at the end or anything else, all you're doing is making so that minecraft doesn't recognize them as .jar files and as such doesn't attempt to load those mods.

tobi1449

Jul 29, 2019
There's also MFFS, both of them allow a conversion from MJ and EU to force and from force to EU

Bibble

Jul 29, 2019
EU to MJ, I think the only way in deafult unleashed is electric engine, unless you re-enable powerconverters (moot point if you're on a server). With that said, you should be using MJ producers for MJ machines. The two types of energy have fundamentally different theories behind them. From a post I made a while ago about changes to the MJ system:
I said:
The two major systems (EU and MJ) used to be fundamentally different systems (talking pre-assembly table, here). IC2 was always a make-and-store system, where you could run it without storage blocks, but the intention was always to make energy to top off your storage. Even the nuke system shows this, as there is no penalty to stop-start.

BC was always an instantaneous system. You used the energy as it was produced, or it decayed and disappeared. The blocks using it (farms, quarries, fillers, etc.) were controlled by switching the engine on and off, rather than the machines themselves. There was an internal storage to them, but it was negligible.

The main change was made by TE, and it's rising popularity. It added storage, meaning that you could cycle and engine and use it's power later, and it introduced the processing machines, which are situational by design (as has been commented). The closest that was introduced by other was the rock-crusher in RC, which is pretty much supposed to quest chug through a quarry output, and not sit idle.

Other mods, like Extra Bees, followed the TE line, giving the machines storage and using it in bursts.

The changes are taking it back to the origins, and I'm not sure how it'll be received both by the wider community, and by the modders. Personally, I quite like the change in philosophy to differentiate the purpose between BC and IC2.

Now, I'm not saying that you CAN'T convert between the two, but I am saying that it's not advisable, and your systems will run better if you don't. Just sayin'

Mannen

Jul 29, 2019
EU to MJ, I think the only way in deafult unleashed is electric engine, unless you re-enable powerconverters (moot point if you're on a server). With that said, you should be using MJ producers for MJ machines. The two types of energy have fundamentally different theories behind them. From a post I made a while ago about changes to the MJ system:

Now, I'm not saying that you CAN'T convert between the two, but I am saying that it's not advisable, and your systems will run better if you don't. Just sayin'
I actually enabled the converters, will be using until I get everything sorted out, thanks for your help :)

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
it`s probably because there is no GT. since GT adds power greed machinery without countering it with proper generation, steam to EU conversion becomes best deal for mid voltage EU generation.

That conversion route is SUCH an abomination. FTB should disable it by config anyways. The entire point of steam and its entire balance proposition is that you need lots of expensive engines to use it.

The idea that destroying the power generation balance on account of GT extending IC2's broken power system design is kinda... Let's just say it's not a good idea to spread around. People might repeat it.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
That conversion route is SUCH an abomination. FTB should disable it by config anyways. The entire point of steam and its entire balance proposition is that you need lots of expensive engines to use it.

The idea that destroying the power generation balance on account of GT extending IC2's broken power system design is kinda... Let's just say it's not a good idea to spread around. People might repeat it.
disabled steam consumer doesnt make much of a deifference, because conversion of steam->EU is based on steam->MJ(via engines). all it changes is upfront cost, which, if my math was correct, was a better choice than a turbine.

well, it kinda looks that way, at least in my eyes. all i saw was a bunch of added mid tier consumers, and some low tier producers, which arent that useful.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm..tree farm > charcoal > steam boiler > more charcoal > spam generators?
it kinda works, except steam boiler step isnt needed...

although, for generator spam LP is a must, to be somewhat closer to boiler`s EU generation rate.

TheLoneWolfling

Jul 29, 2019
EU -> MJ?

• Electric engine, preferably with upgrades (~0.33 MJ/EU stock, ~0.29 with boost, or 0.4 with choke)
  • Oil Fabricator -> Refinery -> Combustion engine (~0.39 MJ / EU)
  • Oil Fabricator -> Refinery -> Railcraft boiler -> Steam engine (~0.58 MJ/EU, assuming max-size boiler)
  • Lava fabricator -> Combustion engine (0.4 MJ/EU)
  • Mass fab -> wood -> sawmill -> scaffold -> Stirling engine (?)
  • Mass fab -> wood -> sawmill -> scaffold -> Boiler -> steam engine(?)

Runo

Jul 29, 2019
disabled steam consumer doesnt make much of a deifference, because conversion of steam->EU is based on steam->MJ(via engines). all it changes is upfront cost, which, if my math was correct, was a better choice than a turbine.

well, it kinda looks that way, at least in my eyes. all i saw was a bunch of added mid tier consumers, and some low tier producers, which arent that useful.

that, and lag. disabled, every person on the server ends up with 60 steam engines instead of a powerconverter+tesseract bridge. some people enjoy engine rooms, which is great. for everyone else, and for server cpu cycles everywhere, let them have their powerconverters.

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
that, and lag. disabled, every person on the server ends up with 60 steam engines instead of a powerconverter+tesseract bridge. some people enjoy engine rooms, which is great. for everyone else, and for server cpu cycles everywhere, let them have their powerconverters.

In my own opinion, I, too, believe that the Power Convertor mod is better for a server enviroment.