Encountered an unexpected exception NullPointerException

Clemeni

Jul 29, 2019
hey guys,

I've been running this server for a week, yesterday i put 2 enderchest which worked fine till today when it caused the server to crash. i remove the enderstorage and could restart the server. later i crafted new enderchest and the server crashed again, every time i log in the server crashes now. Any clue how to fix this?

Encountered an unexpected exception NullPointerException
java.lang.NullPointerException
at ic2.advancedmachines.common.TileEntityAdvancedMachine.operate(TileEntityAdvancedMachine.java:210)
at ic2.advancedmachines.common.TileEntityAdvancedMachine.g(TileEntityAdvancedMachine.java:96)
at xe.h(World.java:2020)
at ie.h(WorldServer.java:463)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.r(MinecraftServer.java:649)
at hg.r(DedicatedServer.java:241)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.q(MinecraftServer.java:585)
at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:492)
at fp.run(SourceFile:818)

Code:
---- Minecraft Crash Report ----
// Why did you do that?

Time: 29/12/12 18:22
Description: Exception in server tick loop

java.lang.NullPointerException
    at ic2.advancedmachines.common.TileEntityAdvancedMachine.operate(TileEntityAdvancedMachine.java:210)
    at ic2.advancedmachines.common.TileEntityAdvancedMachine.g(TileEntityAdvancedMachine.java:96)
    at xe.h(World.java:2020)
    at ie.h(WorldServer.java:463)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.r(MinecraftServer.java:649)
    at hg.r(DedicatedServer.java:241)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.q(MinecraftServer.java:585)
    at net.minecraft.server.MinecraftServer.run(MinecraftServer.java:492)
    at fp.run(SourceFile:818)

Relevant Details:
- Minecraft Version: 1.4.2
- Operating System: Mac OS X (x86_64) version 10.8.2
- Java Version: 1.6.0_37, Apple Inc.
- Java VM Version: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (mixed mode), Apple Inc.
- Memory: 6320685048 bytes (6027 MB) / 6433734656 bytes (6135 MB) up to 6433734656 bytes (6135 MB)
- JVM Flags: 2 total; -Xmx6144M -Xms6144M
- AABB Pool Size: 5026 (281456 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 2960 (165760 bytes; 0 MB) used
- FML: ~ERROR~ NullPointerException: null
- Is Modded: Definitely; 'forge,fml'
- Profiler Position: N/A (disabled)
- Vec3 Pool Size: 2289 (128184 bytes; 0 MB) allocated, 2176 (121856 bytes; 0 MB) used
- Player Count: 1 / 25; [ih['Clemeni'/187, l='Pop', x=106,76, y=73,00, z=-791,65]]
- World Pop Entities: 317 total;
- World Pop Players: 1 total; [ih['Clemeni'/187, l='Pop', x=106,76, y=73,00, z=-791,65]]
- World Pop Chunk Stats: ServerChunkCache: 441 Drop: 0
- Type: Dedicated Server

i have no ideai what i can do. I hope you'll be able to help me.

thanks

Edit: the server only crashes when i connect to it...

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
I suspect you are using the ender chest to feed a sorting system that contains a rotery macerator.
The log indicates that the crash is from the advanced machines ic2 add on.
there is a known bug in ic2 for 1.4.2
Basicly the machine keeps macrrating until it gets 64 items. But some items like forcicium maccerate down to 5 items, overfilling the output causing the server to crash.
The reason the server doesn't crash on startup is that the chunk your base is in is not yet loaded.

You may need to remove the offending machine using mcedit.
Backup server first (blah blah blah)

I apologize fop my spelling um on my tablet in a moving car right now.
Hope that helps
Glass

Clemeni

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for the fast reply.

I'm wondering won't mcedit corrupt my save? like replacing the mod blocks by something else?

anyways I'll try this out with a backup tomorow

Ramon Jongsma

Jul 29, 2019
I had the same problem with my server.
But mine immediately crashed after starting because of a world anchor loading the macerator.
MCEdit did not allow me to properly fix the chunk containing the Rotary Macerator.
MCEdit will replace all the modded blocks with vanilla blocks, and/or replace them with air.

How I fixed it:

- Loaded up the world in MCEdit (Made a backup of the crashing world before I did this).
- Go to the chunk and remove the block containing the Rotary macerator, and then save.
- Start the server (Should no longer crash - because the macerator is gone).
- Log into the world, and go to the location of the macerator. You will notice that MCEdit replaced all your modded blocks in the saved chunk with other vanilla stuff.
- Find the X,Y,Z coordinates of the original location of the macerator and write them down.
- Copy your backed up world to your vanilla minecraft directory (%appdata%/.minecraft/saves).
- Download NBTExplorer here: https://github.com/downloads/jaquadro/NBTExplorer/NBTExplorer-2.2.0.zip
- Open up NBTExplorer as administrator (So it can access your minecraft saves).
- Go here: http://dinnerbone.com/minecraft/tools/coordinates/
- Fill in the X,Y,Z coordinates of your macerator.
- Use NBTExplorer to find the correct .mca file in "Regions".
- Calculate the correct chunk using the information provided by the coordinate tool.
- Open up the "Level: >TileEntities: " tree, and locate an entry with the ID "Rotary Macerator". This will most likely be an entity with 9 entries.
- Expand the "Items" tree, and put all the counts to "0".
- Save the world.
- Copy the file over from your minecraft directory to your FTB server directory.
- Start the server, and immediately login to it.
- Run to the Macerator location, and remove the pipe feeding it + Empty it completely.
- Do not do it again before it's fixed ;).

I hope this works as well for you as it did for me.
I know it's a hassle, but unfortunately the only way to fix this as far as I know.

Reactions: Nessiroj

The_Ianator

Jul 29, 2019
The same thing happened to me and I tried following your guide to fixing it. I got hung up on the "Open up the "Level: >TileEntities: " tree, and locate an entry with the ID "Rotary Macerator". This will most likely be an entity with 9 entries." part, according to the coordinates tool I need to look at 5,-3 in r.0.-1.mcr. I redownloaded the mcr file and the single player world crashes when I bring it up so I assume its the right one, but the NTBExplores doesn't show that there are any TileEntities at all. Am I looking at the wrong chunk? It didn't have any negative numbers so I looked at 5,3.