Electrical Engine Upgrades?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

CavemanecaLP

Jul 29, 2019
So, as the title suggests, the Forestry Electrical Engine can be made to work faster or more efficiently.

However, there is NO explanation of how the GUI is supposed to work, or even how to make it work. I've messed around with the circuit boards and such, but I couldn't see any difference on the GUI for whether or not it's working...

Reactions: UberWaffe

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
You need a soldering iron and some electron tubes as well as the Circuit Board. If you right click on the soldering iron it opens a GUI where you can place the circuit board in a slot and the tubes in another. Different tubes (Iron, gold diamond etc.) have different effects (although I don't know them off hand).

Once you have made one, place it in the left slot of the electrical engine and it will do it's thing. Just note that if you break the electrical engine to move it you will destroy the circuit board, however, if you right click with a soldering iron on the engine, it will take the circuit board out so you won't lose it when the engine gets broken.

CavemanecaLP

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you very much. The only information the forestry wiki gives is that circuit boards can be used with tubes to upgrade electrical engines, and their wiki is the ONLY one that has any information about the upgrades at all. 30 minutes of Google didn't get me anywhere.

thedeester1

Jul 29, 2019
There seems to be a cooler upgrade. Ive tried running these from HV and they overheat, so far I didnt blow one up..They just shut down from over temp. Im still looking at what I can put in the box to power the cooling fan...Let me know if you find it!

I did try a cooling vent in that box and it fit...However my nuclear reactor blew up before I had a chance to see if it made any difference....lol

Ive been powering them from LV sources appart from that one experiment...There has to be something that makes that fan work (vanilla texture) Ill try a battery next I guess...Gonna be a pain if I have to keep putting batteries in though!

Oh while I was typing you figures it out....So a circuit board will make the internal fan run?

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
Are you sure you are talking about the electrical engine? The Electrical Engine takes in EU and outputs MJ and doesn't blow up or overheat. Also, to my knowledge they don't need fans and they definitely don't need a nuclear reactor to run. So, unless I'm missing something, there seems to be a bit of a confusion.

SilvasRuin

Jul 29, 2019
They do overheat. They go into "forced cooldown" which winds up wasting energy. The nuclear reactor was probably just the heart of his power network and he didn't sufficiently shield the network, engine included, from possible explosion. There IS an odd slot in the Electrical Engine that I have yet to figure out either.

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know that, but then again, I've only been running them off of advanced solars for small power networks. Haven't got to the nuclear power stage yet.

Yuki

Jul 29, 2019
I've never had an issue with an electric engine exploding unless it wasn't connected to something or was pushing mor MJ than the thing could take. As for the upgrades in my honest opinion if you can power it one Large Circuitboard with the Iron and two Bronze (I believe that or Copper) is a great upgrade as it draws something like 5 EU and outputs a good amount of MJ haven't played it recently as I've been messing around in FTBRetro but if memory serves that is the best one for a real upgrade anything else and it's kind of a waste cause you can't get them off the board once you place them on (meaning once you put it on there if you try again it will replace the first set) so make sure you have all three on there before you slap in the circuit board. Sorry I sat and watched DW20s first multiplayer LPS when I ran into that and he mentions it.

UberWaffe

Jul 29, 2019
They do overheat. They go into "forced cooldown" which winds up wasting energy. The nuclear reactor was probably just the heart of his power network and he didn't sufficiently shield the network, engine included, from possible explosion. There IS an odd slot in the Electrical Engine that I have yet to figure out either.
Note that they usually only overheat if all the energy they produce is not being used. (I.e. your electrical engines are producing too much)
I've powered quarries using three electrical engines and a hybrid solar panel, and they run indefinitely without overheating (except during the quarry setup phase, but that is because the quarry doesn't need as much power during that phase.)

CavemanecaLP

Jul 29, 2019
I pulled up a creative world to mess with it, and I could only attach two tubes to a large circuit board... The GUI for that too is not very self explanatory, and it automatically solders things as soon as you put the board in.

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
There is a limitation on how many tubes can be used. to maximise the output of the electrical engine you will need the large circuit board, 2 bronze electron tubes, 1 iron electron tune. as stated above, use the soudering iron to open the gui.
place the tubes in the following order.

Bronze
Bronze
Iron
EMPTY

**You can only use 2 of any type and not stacked.**

This will allow the engine to output 12 Mj/tick at the cost of 60 EU/tick.

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
I believe this is the mystery slot they're talking about:
2ecllhe.jpg

What goes into that fan looking slot?

chaossdragon

Jul 29, 2019
RE-Battery... think along the lines of power/charing battery slots. electrical engines uses EU internally.

*anythings that holds an EU charge*

Dex Luther

Jul 29, 2019
RE-Battery... think along the lines of power/charing battery slots. electrical engines uses EU internally.

*anythings that holds an EU charge*

The picture in the slot is pretty misleading if it's for batteries.

EDIT: I just tried what you said. RE-Batteries or Batteries of any kind don't fit in the slot that I circled.

thatsIch

Jul 29, 2019
I wish there would be an easier interface to "explain" the blocks to users. If you play offline you are kinda doomed to guess yourself through everything cause you cannot google/use the wikis.

b0bst3r

Jul 29, 2019
Hi Sengir a question about this if I may...

What's the difference between small, medium and large circuit boards, they all appear to do the same thing, is there any advantage to using a small circuit board to a large one?

Yuki

Jul 29, 2019
Thank you chaoss I couldn't remember exact numbers and at the moment FTB hates my Mac so I couldn't check it myself.
Hi Sengir a question about this if I may...

What's the difference between small, medium and large circuit boards, they all appear to do the same thing, is there any advantage to using a small circuit board to a large one?
Small, Medium, and Large all have different amount of tubes that can be attached to them going from 1 being small to 3 being large the soldering iron shows a thing of four so it might be that he adds a larger one but for now the only difference I have found between the three boards is what recipe needs them and if you wanna upgrade an engine.