Doing some research in the newest IC2_Exp build[138]

mushroom taco

Jul 29, 2019
no, but it does add machine to utilize UU matter in crafting and increases it`s energy cost, which`s been done in IC2 as well.
Yes, but this machine was put in to manipulate uu matter as a liquid. If they didn't make uu matter a liquid, the machine would not have been put in.
Besides, ic2 needed new stuff. Don't get me wrong, I started with ic2 back in tekkit and loved it. But now... There's nothing new and it's just gone boring.

Look on the Jenkins changelog. Tell me where you see a non-API/bug fix/typo fix by Greg, and this argument will be over.

Flipz

Jul 29, 2019
Pre-emptive warning: let's keep this topic civil. I'd hate to have to lock yet another topic on this subject--let's make this the one that stays reasonable and respectful, and thus the one that stays open. ;)

Reactions: dgdas9

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
Pre-emptive warning: let's keep this topic civil. I'd hate to have to lock yet another topic on this subject--let's make this the one that stays reasonable and respectful, and thus the one that stays open. ;)

Oh optimism. I love it so much. We know the internets, given 6 days or so, the right people will find this post and then it gets locked. It's only a matter of time before shit hits the fan and people start blaming each other.

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
But it doesn't... There are a few things that may have been inspired by gregtech (hammers, wire cutters, and I think that's it...), but other than that... Tell me what recipe changes scream "I am gregtech".

Who checks in what doesn't matter. Its obvious there is a strong influence.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, but this machine was put in to manipulate uu matter as a liquid. If they didn't make uu matter a liquid, the machine would not have been put in.
Besides, ic2 needed new stuff. Don't get me wrong, I started with ic2 back in tekkit and loved it. But now... There's nothing new and it's just gone boring.

Look on the Jenkins changelog. Tell me where you see a non-API/bug fix/typo fix by Greg, and this argument will be over.
you can`t say for sure on this one. because GT had such machine before UU was turned int a liquid, so there is a possibility of it migrating without UU being a liquid.
my biggest concern about this change is increase cost of automation for creating resources out of UU, because it`s very likely to require 1 machine/recipe, which can get quite ugly.

that`s the weakest argument you can have at this point. it`s like saying: secret societies dont exist, because there is no record of them.

Democretes

Jul 29, 2019
that`s the weakest argument you can have at this point. it`s like saying: secret societies dont exist, because there is no record of them.
Innocent until proven guilty. Tis a wonderful thing.

I will admit though, there is somewhat of a Gregfluence in IC2, but you can't say for certain Greg is giving Player/Thunderdark a nudge in his direction. They may very well be doing this themselves with or without any influence from Gregtech. If people really wants to know where the ideas for the new recipes are coming from, why doesn't someone go ask them?

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
Innocent until proven guilty. Tis a wonderful thing.

I will admit though, there is somewhat of a Gregfluence in IC2, but you can't say for certain Greg is giving Player/Thunderdark a nudge in his direction. They may very well be doing this themselves with or without any influence from Gregtech. If people really wants to know where the ideas for the new recipes are coming from, why doesn't someone go ask them?
in this scenario it goes backwards. changes made to IC2 lean towards "guilt", which rises this suspicion.
i have to admit that origin of such changes doesnt actually matter, because what matters is a gameplay, however it allows pointless conversation to continue. because why not?

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
It doesn't matter who added it.

Besides, for me none of this stuff looks fun at all. Adding hammers and cutters with durability is not logical. They also aren't useful except in a crafting table. Something interesting at least would be to make the plates in world with the hammer.

But it really is just additional steps to get to the same old thing in IC2. The end result of the changes is more steps to the same goal. So this isn't changing my mind about not using IC2.

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019

Besides, for me none of this stuff looks fun at all. Adding hammers and cutters with durability is not logical. They also aren't useful except in a crafting table. Something interesting at least would be to make the plates in world with the hammer.

But it really is just additional steps to get to the same old thing in IC2. The end result of the changes is more steps to the same goal. So this isn't changing my mind about not using IC2.
You can place sticky resin in the world,so why no place ingot(for plates) or blocks(for dense plates) in the world where you can hammer them or for wires only the ingots.

Reactions: Bevo and RedBoss

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
You can place sticky resin in the world,so why no place ingot(for plates) or blocks(for dense plates) in the world where you can hammer them or for wires only the ingots.
and why just not add hammer and cutters at all? if we take into account what Steve can do with just crafting bench, i dont see a reason for such addition, except to add unnecessary annoyance.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
and why just not add hammer and cutters at all? if we take into account what Steve can do with just crafting bench, i dont see a reason for such addition, except to add unnecessary annoyance.

because putting an ingot in a crafting bench is already taken by nuggets.
there are only so many permutations of how you can put things into a crafting bench. that means adding something unique to the recipe (like hammer and cutters) to the grid in order to make the mod specific item for the mod's recipes. refined iron used to be this thing. it was also an added step that has now been removed/replaced by the hammer/cutter recipes.

A good reason for giving these tools durability is because they are adding machines that are going to make these plates and wires. if you could just have an auto crafting bench do it for you at no energy cost anyway, then why use the new machines? why build a variety of machines when all you'll ever need is just another crafting bench?

also: consider inter mod compatibility. the plates are probably going to be compatible with RC plates.... rolling machine to the rescue. no hammer needed.

Reactions: ff255away

RedBoss

Jul 29, 2019
My whole point is you just have more time trapped in a GUI. Once you exit this trap,you don't have a cool tool or weapon,you just have yet another bland block... Or worse, another ingredient for another bland block. A bland block that'll blow up if you make the simplest mistake in wiring. That's boring to me.

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
because putting an ingot in a crafting bench is already taken by nuggets.
there are only so many permutations of how you can put things into a crafting bench. that means adding something unique to the recipe (like hammer and cutters) to the grid in order to make the mod specific item for the mod's recipes. refined iron used to be this thing. it was also an added step that has now been removed/replaced by the hammer/cutter recipes.

A good reason for giving these tools durability is because they are adding machines that are going to make these plates and wires. if you could just have an auto crafting bench do it for you at no energy cost anyway, then why use the new machines? why build a variety of machines when all you'll ever need is just another crafting bench?

also: consider inter mod compatibility. the plates are probably going to be compatible with RC plates.... rolling machine to the rescue. no hammer needed.
have you ever heard about 2:2 or 4:4 conversion? use that and boom no hammer needed nor machine for plates.

also: i need a MJ mod to yet again avoid annoying design of IC2?

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
have you ever heard about 2:2 or 4:4 conversion? use that and boom no hammer needed nor machine for plates.

I think the problem with 2:2,3:3,4:4,etc is if I only got a ingot,I would need to get more to use the recipe.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019

you are aware that plates are what makes sense in a strictly mechanical logical sense right? you don't build a machine hull out of ingots after all. you weld, rivet or screw plates together.
I was strictly speaking responding to the complaints that lots of steps have been added, when in fact one step was added and another one removed. they replaced a somewhat illogical step (turning iron ingots into a mod specific ingot type for crafting) with one that makes more sense. (hammering ingots into plates for making parts)

I find it amusing that people aren't giving CovertJaguar any grief for using iron and steel plates that has to be made in a special machine in his recipes, even requiring a type of power that can only be gotten by making a low tier engine that then later on becomes totally obsolete, while at the same time crying over IC2 doing basically exactly the same thing sans the quickly obsoleted engine.

ingot -> hammer -> plate is a cheaper path than ingots -> machine -> engine+fuel -> plate

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
you are aware that plates are what makes sense in a strictly mechanical logical sense right? you don't build a machine hull out of ingots after all. you weld, rivet or screw plates together.
I was strictly speaking responding to the complaints that lots of steps have been added, when in fact one step was added and another one removed. they replaced a somewhat illogical step (turning iron ingots into a mod specific ingot type for crafting) with one that makes more sense. (hammering ingots into plates for making parts)

I find it amusing that people aren't giving CovertJaguar any grief for using iron and steel plates that has to be made in a special machine in his recipes, even requiring a type of power that can only be gotten by making a low tier engine that then later on becomes totally obsolete, while at the same time crying over IC2 doing basically exactly the same thing sans the quickly obsoleted engine.

ingot -> hammer -> plate is a cheaper path than ingots -> machine -> engine+fuel -> plate
since iron`s quality differs, smelting it second time to remove impurities makes as much sense as making plates, which is unnecessary step and can be skipped with no gameplay loss - Steve is just smart enough to shape ingots why you are not looking.

RC`s situation seems to be somewhat different, because (t)rolling machine was around quite a while, and it was obvious for everyone that it`s mod`s crafting table. later added power requirement is something to argue however, although it`s one of the few consumers RC have in "tech tree" so adding a bit of power consumption is a logical step.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019

then make your first priority a metal former so you don't need the hammer/cutters. hopefully you will only go through one/two hammers and cutters before getting the most basic setup of a generator and the former.

im one of those that kinda likes GT. not the stupid insane recipes, or some of the more. . . excessive nerfs that make it a conversion, but "simple" GT as an IC2 expansion.

Morrigi

Jul 29, 2019

[Massive Shitstorm goes here]

matpower123

Jul 29, 2019
[Massive Shitstorm goes here]
I would prefer if my thread don't have a massive shitstorm,because I like civilised discussion.
then make your first priority a metal former so you don't need the hammer/cutters. hopefully you will only go through one/two hammers and cutters before getting the most basic setup of a generator and the former.

im one of those that kinda likes GT. not the stupid insane recipes, or some of the more. . . excessive nerfs that make it a conversion, but "simple" GT as an IC2 expansion.
I think I would just change my starting IC2 setup to this:
Generator -> Metal Former -> Extractor -> Macerator -> ...
Else I would have to use the hammer/cutter for a while(Also this kills the on-the-fly crafting without tools :( )