Do any of these mods affect animal placements?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I've tried a couple of different worlds and there seems to be an extreme shortage of livestock. In my current world I have been completely unable to find any sheep, so have been playing without a bed. I found a few cows, but no pigs either.

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
You can craft wool from string, not a real solution to the animal shoortage you are having though

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
That certainly will help with the bed situation though. Spiders are much more abundant that sheep are in my current world...

damnedsky

Jul 29, 2019
From my knowledge there are no mods in the current pack that interfere with the mod spawns... you are just being unlucky :(

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
I had to go about 500-600 blocks to find cows in my current map. Luring them back was a pain, especially when a ninja creeper decided to kill one.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
ExtraBiomesXL messes with spawns, in the sense that certain biomes only spawn certain mobs.

For example, in one world I started I thought I was in new zealand... everything was hugely mountainous, and covered in millions of sheep, but there was not a single cow or pig within 2 kilometers of my spawn. I ended up abandoning that world.

In another world I got a different biome makeup, and did not face these issues.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
I tend to use Mystcraft now for my animal needs, instead of going 1000+ blocks away from my home just to find one cow (which I did recently and swore never to do again). It was really frustrating too, because I saw like 100 sheep/pigs/chickens as I was looking for cows.

Of course, if you don't cheat in the mystcraft notebook it may be a bit more difficult. And you need at least one cow to make a book (unless you luck out on a village library).

Plains/Meadows/Forest/Swamp or some combination of the 4 is what I pick to find the animals I want. Checkerboard biome with two of them works out extremely well. Usually find quite a bit of sheep in the Plains/Meadows and cows in the swamp. Chickens seem to spawn everywhere for me, and I don't worry about pigs.

[Edit] Oh ExtraBiomes affects spawns? No wonder I find mobs easier in the regular biomes with mystcraft. Still, if they do affect it then myscraft with normal biomes might be easier for you.

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really have any idea about MystCraft, so dunno what you mean about using a book... And I really like the xtra biome stuff, and animal placement makes sense, but it's still a PITA... Is there anyway to turn off just the animal segregation by biome but still keep the extra biomes?

Memorian

Jul 29, 2019
If you want the animals badly you can just change to creative mode and get two spawn eggs of each kind and the from there on out breed your own

Wizaerd

Jul 29, 2019
I may have to do that, although if I did resort to that, it'd kinda be tempting to do everything that way, and I'm weak willed... I'll either suffer through it, or try another world perhaps...

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
There is no way to configure animal spawning within EBXL biomes. They have lower chance than the vanilla biomes, that is certain. If you're fine with weird borders you could generate your world initially without EBXL and then put it back to get the extra biomes but still get animal rich starting area.

Rikki21

Jul 29, 2019
I don't really have any idea about MystCraft, so dunno what you mean about using a book... And I really like the xtra biome stuff, and animal placement makes sense, but it's still a PITA... Is there anyway to turn off just the animal segregation by biome but still keep the extra biomes?

I highly recommend watching DireWolf20's mod spotlight of Mystcraft. Though a bit old, it's very informative and may help you out. All you need to do is spawn in a notebook from creative mod to get all the symbols. Or if you have a good supply of leather/feathers discover it all yourself.

Other than that, spawning them in or disabling EXBL and then reenabling it like others suggested may be what you need to do, if you don't wanna keep remaking worlds.

Zeric

Jul 29, 2019
From my experience, if I had too many of a single animal in the area: I would start a genocide of that one and different ones would start spawning. Also it seemed to me, if I brought an animal from somewhere else to a place where none of that type spawned they would start spawning.