Direwolf20 server performance

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If you are an admin for a direwolf20 server I would be very interested in the specifics of:

* How much memory have you allocated / is used.
* What are your tps/ticktime stats
* What specific sources of lag have you encountered and what have you done to fix them?

--
For the record:
* 10 slots, averages at 3-4 players at peak times. memory was ~4GB used out of ~9GB max (it was maxed out at 9/9GB until I found the aspect orb entity count issue.
* The update time averages at about 40ms, but there is a 20-60 second interval in which it will stall for 5000-20,000 ms (with corresponding message in the console about being hundreds of ticks behind skipping).
* Several:
1. We have a known issue where players shift-click crafting to make stacks of items at a time will lag the server and cause players to be disconnected.
2. Thaumcraft's aspect orbs are an issue with mobfarms on the server causing tens of thousands of these entities to accumulate per day. I am trying to find the neatest way to script a /cofh killall aspect to remove them.
3. Explicit chunkloaders do not seem to be a performance issue atm, but we are planning to use forgecraft2 rules: no chickenchunks chunkloaders, instead encourage the use of world anchors and personal anchors to limit the ongoing impact. What is interesting are the chunks that opis - and /chunkloaders says are active, but are not tied to any specific ticket. That also are not cleared on server restart. I don't know how to get them to unload.

Someone made a base with 7k openblocks tanks in it. The base is one of the locations that remains loaded despite there not being any chunkloading tickets. Right now our option seems to be to delete it - which I'd rather not do.

Goshen

Jul 29, 2019
Remove the 7k open blocks tanks they cause lag because they calculate how much fluid to display, constantly. I had a user on my server do the same thing and the tick profiler went nuts when I was lag busting.

Favor personal anchors over world anchors because they don't load chunks, they only keep chunks that have been loaded. Also they stop loading after the player logs out.

There are many thing that load chunks these days that are not chunkloaders, portal gun portals, and poppet shelves are two. We should make a comprehensive list In a thread.

Duo

Jul 29, 2019
If its a linux server and you have minecraft running in a screen named "minecraft", you can do something like
Code:
screen -S minecraft -p 0 -X stuff "cofh killall aspect" $(printf '\r')"
in a cron job on a timer (every few hours or whatever) to clean up the aspect orbs.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
The open blocks were incidental - i mean - they do cause lag, but they should only cause lag when loaded, i.e. when someone is visiting that base.

As it turns out, EIO has a nasty combination of implicit effects with its dimensional transceiver - which chunkloads, and its conduits, which chunkload each other. So, a base with a dimensional transceiver will load the chunk the transceiver is in, and the EIO conduits passing through (or near?) that chunk will in turn force load every chunk they pass through.