Demographics for those who play FTB

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Gwinbar

Jul 29, 2019

Race you identify with: White

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one); mining, building (houses/structures), building (contraptions/automation), adventuring/exploring: The two "building"s. If I had to choose one, building (contraptions/automation).

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: SSP.

How long have you been playing FTB: About 2 months.

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
Race: White, Rural American.
Favorite Game Aspect: Tied between spelunking and gizmos.
Mostly Play: SMP.
Playing FTB: 3 months.
I've been thinking about adding something about education level to my paper
Education: High School Graduate, U.S.N. Electrician's Mate (Nuclear).
Current Employment: Maintenance Manager, Construction.

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
Race: Genius, slightly unhinged
What you enjoy most out of the game: Experimenting on the local peasants
Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: Usually I play the 'where are my pants this time' game every bloody morning

(Sorry, couldn't resist :p As for a serious reply:

Race: Caucasian
What you enjoy most out of the game: building contraptions followed closely by building structures
SMP only. Playing since official release.
Education: Masters degree in Computer Science)

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
examples of races are African American/black, Caucasian/white, Latino/a, biracial ect. you can just tell what country you identify with or if you're not comfortable you can leave it blank.

Me being german, I sometimes don't "get" the figure of speech used. This identifying with sounded more like "I like the tunneling by the dwarfs, that fits my style", than the one you wanted. Also using the word race for white/black/... is frowned upon here (or rather its german translation "rasse"), because of our history 70,80 years ago, where fantasies about some master race were the official line of thought with differences killing uncounted numbers of people. Hence my confusion :)
btw... You seem to set "African American" and "Black" as equal... what about the africans, who were never in america? They're not african americans :)

Race you identify with: German (I assume that is part of the caucasian group?)

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one): building (contraptions/automation)

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: Curently SSP, but that switched several times since beginning.

How long have you been playing FTB: Since FTB BETA A, later switched to Mindcrack.

Started playing Minecraft at the last days of alpha, have been playing SMP in beta 1.5 (mostly vanilla with craftbukkit), 1.8 (vanilla only). release 1.0, 1.1 (tekkit).
SSP almost all the time with a break during MC 1.3. Restarted with FTB.
Background of computer science.

Sparklepire

Jul 29, 2019

Race you identify with: Multi-racial (German, Irish, Barbadian, and Canadian)

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one); mining, building (houses/structures), building (contraptions/automation), adventuring/exploring: adventuring/exploring

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: right now it is mostly smp because I found a cool group of people to play with

How long have you been playing FTB:I have been playing since the launcher was released

Captain Neckbeard

Jul 29, 2019
You seem to set "African American" and "Black" as equal... what about the africans, who were never in america?
Common American racial/gender/whathaveyou hypersensitivity thing. "Black" is a no-no word unless you're referring to an object's diffuse reflection of electromagnetic radiation in the visible spectrum. Becomes a force of habit, results in hilarity every so often.

Matthew83

Jul 29, 2019
Race:Caucasian
What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one):building (contraptions/automation)
Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: SSP

How long have you been playing FTB: One Month (played modded Minecraft for about a year and a half though)

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
Me being german, I sometimes don't "get" the figure of speech used. This identifying with sounded more like "I like the tunneling by the dwarfs, that fits my style", than the one you wanted. Also using the word race for white/black/... is frowned upon here (or rather its german translation "rasse"), because of our history 70,80 years ago, where fantasies about some master race were the official line of thought with differences killing uncounted numbers of people. Hence my confusion :)
btw... You seem to set "African American" and "Black" as equal... what about the africans, who were never in america? They're not african americans :).

Firstly, I was not meaning to offend anyone. Sadly, I've never been to far out of my own country ( The United States )
Secondly, In The States some people prefer Hispanic over Latino/a or Black over African American or Caucasian over White. I also added a post further down to help clarify that if it was more preferable one could post their nationality. I was trying to be as politically correct as possible. As for the " identify with " part, sometimes people who's complexion will be dark, and they may appear black/African/African American/whathaveyou but actually be Puerto Rican and will identify as Latino/a or Hispanic.
Lastly, when I was listing a few races to help clarify, they were meant to be examples, no one is limited to only those choices.

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
Race: Genius, slightly unhinged
What you enjoy most out of the game: Experimenting on the local peasants
Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: Usually I play the 'where are my pants this time' game every bloody morning

(Sorry, couldn't resist :p As for a serious reply:

Race: Caucasian
What you enjoy most out of the game: building contraptions followed closely by building structures
SMP only. Playing since official release.
Education: Masters degree in Computer Science)

I laughed! Especially the " Experimenting on the local peasants " part :D

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
No problem, I didn't read your posts as offending. If my prior post was interpretable that way: sorry for that. And my last line ended with the wrong smiley, as I can see now. ;) would have fit better. It was just nitpicking for the fun of nitpicking.

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
No problem, I didn't read your posts as offending. If my prior post was interpreted that way: sorry for that. And my last line ended with the wrong smiley, as I can see now. ;) would have fit better. It was just nitpicking for the fun of nitpicking.

No worries.
Thanks for the input though. As a social work student, I try to make sure everything is as clear as possible without offending anyone. It can sometimes get out of hand. haha

Anyways, Still loving the comments and the feedback I'd like to get at least 50 more responses ( I also had someone PM me with their entry which is perfectly fine if you're not comfortable posting in a public forum ). Keep up the good work FTB!

FavoriteFox

Jul 29, 2019

Race you identify with: caucasian

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one); building (contraptions/automation). I don't like fighting, I play on peaceful most of the time.

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: SSP... tried a few servers but I couldn't find one I liked

How long have you been playing FTB: about 3 months. I played Technic before (didn't like) and vanilla Minecraft before that.

Aryvai

Jul 29, 2019

Race you identify with: Caucasian

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one): Mining and sometimes building

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: SMP (LAN)

How long have you been playing FTB: 1 month

Education Level: Sophomore in college getting a degree in English Education

AND good luck on your paper. :)

Reactions: Confidential1207

Hydra

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to ask a gaming community about demographics you will be seeing that the majority is male, caucasian and between 14 and 30, with some outliers above. I'm sorry but if that's worth 'points' these days social studies have really gone down the drain.

Freyr

Jul 29, 2019

What you enjoy most out of the game: building contraptions/automation

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: Mostly SSP

How long have you been playing FTB: Since first public beta

Lisn87

Jul 29, 2019

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one); building (contraptions/automation)

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: SSP

How long have you been playing FTB:3 months

good luck with your paper :D

khorozm

Jul 29, 2019

Race you identify with: Yellow/ Hong Kong

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one); building (contraptions/automation)

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: 50/50, I prefer playing SMP though

How long have you been playing FTB: half a year

btw the race thingy is so unfair because this is an English forum, just saying you should have noticed it anyways

whythisname

Jul 29, 2019

What you enjoy most out of the game (choose one); mining, building (houses/structures), building (contraptions/automation), adventuring/exploring: building (contraptions/automation)
(exploring is a close second though)

Do you play mostly SMP or SSP: SSP (and I sometimes test setups/theories in Creative single player)

How long have you been playing FTB: ~2,5 months. I started somewhere in December I think.

I got into it because Etho (from the youtube channel Etho's lab) started playing FTB as well. I've been in touch with Buildcraft in the past, but I became tired of updating the mods manually so I stopped playing with mods back then. FTB solves that problem though, so I'll likely be playing FTB for some time.

odinsembrace

Jul 29, 2019
If you're going to ask a gaming community about demographics you will be seeing that the majority is male, caucasian and between 14 and 30, with some outliers above. I'm sorry but if that's worth 'points' these days social studies have really gone down the drain.

It's not about the demographics per se. While it is part of the assignment, the real points lie in the analysis of the culture, strengths, and the needs/concerns of the community. I had never really thought about the spread of the diversity of those who played, but it does not come as a great surprise that the majority are white males from the late teens to their early thirties.

Keep up the good work FTB!