Dedicated Windows Hosting?

Waarlod

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know of a good place to get a dedicated server running Windows that isn't $100+ per month (2gb, 2 cores)? I am looking to evaluate my options of moving away from a dedicated minecraft host and manage the system myself.

glasspelican

Jul 29, 2019
I have never found a dedicated server for less the $100
I have see some virtual servers in that price range but they only run linux

AliasXNeo

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone know of a good place to get a dedicated server running Windows that isn't $100+ per month (2gb, 2 cores)? I am looking to evaluate my options of moving away from a dedicated minecraft host and manage the system myself.

Any reason it has to be Windows? You're just limiting yourself by being picky. Unlike the person above me, I have seen them this cheap before. I currently host an 8 core, 8 GB RAM, 100mbit unmetered dedicated for $40/month. However, that was on a Christmas steal. I would just keep frequenting the internet and looking for good deals. Typically OVH has decent prices: http://www.ovh.co.uk/

Deor

Jul 29, 2019
OHV/Kimsufi dedicated boxes can run windows no problem as they are physical hardware. You either have to get a licence through them, or add your own key in their manager before you install. I've done it with my own key after a couple of attempts to get one that worked with the images they have available.

To be honest though you are better off with a linux VM, i run my server on one in the UK and it costs me £8 a month for 2gb ram with an extra 512mb burst, 50gb disk and 1.25Tb of transfer. Plenty of offer's to be had out there.

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
OVH FTW i use the 32gb ssd badboy thry have its amazing and well priced. However given the amount of ram you intend to use using a linux distro is much better since linux uses less ram than windows however i believe thr cpu usage is just slightly higher.

Waarlod

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm... OVH is really well priced. However, doesn't look like they have any offerings state side... :/

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
For 40 bucks a month u can get urself a nice dual core 8gb server which runs upto 20-30 ppl easily. If you do choose ovh and need help setting up just send me a pm ill be happy to help to the best of my ability

Waarlod

Jul 29, 2019
For 40 bucks a month u can get urself a nice dual core 8gb server which runs upto 20-30 ppl easily. If you do choose ovh and need help setting up just send me a pm ill be happy to help to the best of my ability
I appreciate that. I am a sysadmin IRL so I think I got most of it handled. Does OVH configure all the routing and assign a public address for me to use?

MomoNasty

Jul 29, 2019
Oh nice so u definitely know what ur doing :) (im still a noob) . Umm i believe iy does as soon as i got my first server i just setup the server and i could connect fine. I believe all the ports are forwarded also you have access to a amanger which controls the server box you bought so if you need to configure anything just do it from there. But yah right out of the box i just setup my server changed the ip address linr in server properties to thr the ip of the server and i can connect directly to the ip without ports so i guess if thats you meant about ips thrn the answer is yes

Mauldek

Jul 29, 2019
I apologize if this has been answered but I cannot find it. First time question.
I set up a linux ubuntu server on Amazon's AWS. The server is working fine, I think. I access it using the command line.
How do I get the admin console to come up or otherwise give admin commands?

Deor

Jul 29, 2019
What admin console are you referring to? In general on a Linux server, the command line is your admin console!

Mauldek

Jul 29, 2019
What admin console are you referring to? In general on a Linux server, the command line is your admin console!
Thank you. Late yesterday I was logging off and noticed the messages in the console. Have not used Linux much yet. I appreciate your help.