Curse Client, FTB Packs and Linux

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
All I want is a easy way to grab ftb packs on linux without mucking about on Google. I don't care if it's command line or a GUI. Command line, I can create a BASH script to do the syncing for me in less than 2 minutes. Heck, make it possible to add the repos containing the packs to our mirror lists in our package managers. That would be the most ideal solution IMO.

To add to this: All we really need is a regularly updated script grabbing from the repo each pack. Would need bare bones bash knowledge and a minute or two for each pack, if you don't just automate it. Pretty much what the launcher already does, but in BASH.

Last edited:

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
And, in my personal opinion, if you had used the proper framework to start off with, this would be a non-issue and natively cross-platform compatible. Unfortunately, at this time it would be pretty much starting over from scratch and not worth the time or effort for the 2% of us who are Linux.

A thing about that 2%... make it less viable for a platform, and less people on that platform will use it. I haven't downloaded or updated FTB in months because I've been using ATLauncher/MultiMC since they are both native linux compatible, and quite frankly none of the packs on the FTB launcher have really tickled my fancy enough to encourage me to update my FTB Launcher. Actually... checking my files, I have literally not updated FTB in over a year. Wow. So if you had made it linux compatible, you might've ended up with more people on linux using it. Probably not enough to warrant doing it at this point, admittedly, but just sayin'... looking at how much business you might get from 'competitors' by doing something is also occasionally a good idea. Or maybe not, I'm not very familiar with your business model.

So yea, zero interest in Curse Launcher since it won't run on the OS I run. It's got a lot of good features, I absolutely love the mod devs getting downloads when a pack including their mod gets downloaded, that's a thing that needed to happen. But as far as the rest? Eh. I tend to be a cantankerous, anti-social old geezer, so the friend thing is actively discouraging for me, although I will grant that I may be in the minority on that point of view as well.

I'm not against centralization of mods in a place like Curse, actually. By requiring mod authors to give permissions to distribute by putting the mod on Curse, you make mod pack creation MUCH less of a legal headache (speaking as one who dealt with said headaches previously), which is a MAJOR benefit. This gives an easy litmus test of Curse = yes I can include without having to track down the mod author, get perms, document said perms, and keep said perms up to date. I like this, as it is a benefit to both mod pack creators and the mod authors themselves. So having a single repository for all mods available on mod-packs? Amazing. All the yes. And if a mod author decides they don't want to give those permissions... that's entirely his right and decision. He'll just be left out of Curse and all of the benefits Curse members enjoy.

All I want is a easy way to grab ftb packs on linux without mucking about on Google. I don't care if it's command line or a GUI. Command line, I can create a BASH script to do the syncing for me in less than 2 minutes. Heck, make it possible to add the repos containing the packs to our mirror lists in our package managers. That would be the most ideal solution IMO.

To add to this: All we really need is a regularly updated script grabbing from the repo each pack. Would need bare bones bash knowledge and a minute or two for each pack, if you don't just automate it. Pretty much what the launcher already does, but in BASH.
Actually, that might be done better with a PPA, particularly for something like Mint's Update Manager. More user friendly on the other end, and things like Mint's Update Manager can grab hold of it and let the end-user know there's a new update for download. And it would download FROM THE CURSE PAGE so the mod author gets the download credit. It would be the best of all possible world for Linux users.

I'd be tempted to hack out something, but I'm too busy these days, and I am still of the opinion that Microsoft is just going to hijack everything once it becomes profitable enough for them to do so. I honestly feel sorry for the Curse crew, that's gonna suck when MS gets around to bothering with enforcing their ownership.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
I'm not against centralization of mods in a place like Curse, actually. By requiring mod authors to give permissions to distribute by putting the mod on Curse, you make mod pack creation MUCH less of a legal headache (speaking as one who dealt with said headaches previously), which is a MAJOR benefit. This gives an easy litmus test of Curse = yes I can include without having to track down the mod author, get perms, document said perms, and keep said perms up to date. I like this, as it is a benefit to both mod pack creators and the mod authors themselves. So having a single repository for all mods available on mod-packs? Amazing. All the yes. And if a mod author decides they don't want to give those permissions... that's entirely his right and decision. He'll just be left out of Curse and all of the benefits Curse members enjoy.

Umm actually the mods on CurseForge only give permission for distribution through the Curse client by default. They may have other requirements for distributing in modpacks on other platforms. We don't force them to make their licenses open use. Our Terms of Use only cover the Curse Client unless the mod author opts for open use on every platform.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Umm actually the mods on CurseForge only give permission for distribution through the Curse client by default. They may have other requirements for distributing in modpacks on other platforms. We don't force them to make their licenses open use. Out Terms of Use only cover the Curse Client unless the mod author opts for open use on every platform.
Ahh, then it just makes it another 'Just Us League'. Nevermind.

Reactions: RedBoss

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh, then it just makes it another 'Just Us League'. Nevermind.

Um no? You are very negative.

Anyone can release modpacks on the client without needing special permissions for any mod on the CurseForge platform. Mod authors get the download and statistics counts for the mod pack downloads. Anyone can use the mods from CurseForge on any other launcher under the same permissions conditions as they would usually use for any download option. So if they would normally ask for permission to distribute the mod in a pack on the Technic/ATLauncher, they still ask. They still get an easy place to get notifications of mod updates.

But no neither Curse nor FTB has ever been in the habit of overriding mod authors rights to decide where they are distributed. Putting it on CurseForge just gives permission for distribution via the Curse Client. Beyond that.. we don't know yet.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Putting it on CurseForge just gives permission for distribution via the Curse Client. Beyond that.. we don't know yet.
I hope that doesn't lead to mod authors getting discouraged and not use CurseForge. Some of them might not want that everyone can include their mod in any pack.

Reactions: CoolSquid

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Um no? You are very negative.

Anyone can release modpacks on the client without needing special permissions for any mod on the CurseForge platform. Mod authors get the download and statistics counts for the mod pack downloads. Anyone can use the mods from CurseForge on any other launcher under the same permissions conditions as they would usually use for any download option. So if they would normally ask for permission to distribute the mod in a pack on the Technic/ATLauncher, they still ask. They still get an easy place to get notifications of mod updates.

But no neither Curse nor FTB has ever been in the habit of overriding mod authors rights to decide where they are distributed. Putting it on CurseForge just gives permission for distribution via the Curse Client. Beyond that.. we don't know yet.
Allow me to clarify my position:

You're basically buying the worst of both worlds with this policy. Those who are against letting 'just anyone' (with 'just anyone' being anyone who uses the Curse client to distribute their mod pack in this case) have their mods in a mod pack are not going to participate and are going to accuse the Curse client of trying to 'force' them to go public, true or not. On the other hand, you're building the perception that you 'have' to use the Curse Client to gain access to certain mods. Hence my comment about the 'just us league'.

Either way, it will only be a temporary situation, and doesn't really affect me since it isn't compatible with my OS. It just kind of makes me shake my head to see something that has the potential to end drama instead being used to further it.

Reactions: RedBoss

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Either way, it will only be a temporary situation, and doesn't really affect me since it isn't compatible with my OS. It just kind of makes me shake my head to see something that has the potential to end drama instead being used to further it.
"End drama"? Forcing everyone to give full modpack permissions wouldn't end drama, but leave CurseForge as an open source only host. I would never give away the redistribution rights for my mods to everyone. There are many good hosting alternatives, and I would rather use them than a host basically forcing me to open source my mods.

Reactions: Jadedcat

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Great. So we're going to see many mods move away from CurseForge...
No, but if they said "you must allow all modpacks outside the Curse client too", I would instantly delete all my mods from CurseForge.
Anyone can release modpacks on the (Curse) client without needing special permissions for any mod on the CurseForge platform.
@Reika, what are your thoughts about this? Aren't you planning to move to CurseForge?

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Great. So we're going to see many mods move away from CurseForge...

Not according to the authors I have spoken to. All they ever wanted was to know where their mods were and to be able to track the downloads and issues.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Not according to the authors I have spoken to. All they ever wanted was to know where their mods were and to be able to track the downloads and issues.
That's good to hear. But I imagine that some also want to be able to retract them from packs.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
It just kind of makes me shake my head to see something that has the potential to end drama instead being used to further it.

If you were hoping FTb and Curse were going to bully mod authors and trample mod author rights and licenses, sorry. None of us are that sort. That's why mod authors are willing to host on CurseForge. Because we aren't telling them how to handle their license.

Anyone can use the client, anyone can download mods from Curse. Anyone can subscribe to mod updates on the website and get emails of any updated files. Until a decision is made on the API, right now, modpacks hosted on CurseForge can only be distributed through the Curse client, UNLESS the modpack creator gets specific permission to redistribute the mods through a different launcher and then they have to abide by that launcher's rules on permissions.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Really? I thought one of the major reasons to restrict distribution was to prevent bug reports that had already been fixed in a prior release from mod pack users because the mod pack dev was slow in updating the pack. Rather annoying, I suppose, to be told 'Y UR MOD NO WERK' when your response is "I fixed that three releases ago" only to find out that the server devs haven't updated in forever. But instead of bugging the pack maintainer, as they should, they bug the mod authors.

It is, I suppose, at least a step in the right direction. Mod authors work stupid hours for zero pay. The absolute least they deserve is credit for their work. My primary concern is for the ease of setting up smaller mod packs on the Curse launcher. No offence to the FTB crew intended, but waiting a week or two for your update to go live will feel a bit sluggish compared to the instant commits and pushes I can do with ATLauncher.

CoolSquid

Jul 29, 2019
Will there be any way to disable a specific pack from using my mods? Or do I have to add annoying popups in bad packs? For example, if I meet a pack dev harassing me or being extremely self-entitled, I would prefer to have a way to remove my mods from his packs. Or would I need to extends my annoying popups to packs with bad devs?
No offence to the FTB crew intended, but waiting a week or two for your update to go live will feel a bit sluggish compared to the instant commits and pushes I can do with ATLauncher.
ATLauncher is using up to 6 months on approving packs... The FTB team is actually really fast.

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
So am I understanding it right that everyone can make a pack using mods on CurseForge and distribute the pack on the Curse client? That's exactly what some mod authors don't want, regardless of whether it's distributed on the Curse client or elsewhere.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019
Really? I thought one of the major reasons to restrict distribution was to prevent bug reports that had already been fixed in a prior release from mod pack users because the mod pack dev was slow in updating the pack. Rather annoying, I suppose, to be told 'Y UR MOD NO WERK' when your response is "I fixed that three releases ago" only to find out that the server devs haven't updated in forever. But instead of bugging the pack maintainer, as they should, they bug the mod authors.

It is, I suppose, at least a step in the right direction. Mod authors work stupid hours for zero pay. The absolute least they deserve is credit for their work. My primary concern is for the ease of setting up smaller mod packs on the Curse launcher. No offence to the FTB crew intended, but waiting a week or two for your update to go live will feel a bit sluggish compared to the instant commits and pushes I can do with ATLauncher.

Except the client tells modpack creators when there is a new mod update. It sends an email. Mod authors can archive old versions of their mods, that then sends a message to modpack creators saying "this mod has been archived and needs to be updated".

So am I understanding it right that everyone can make a pack using mods on CurseForge and distribute the pack on the Curse client? That's exactly what some mod authors don't want, regardless of whether it's distributed on the Curse client or elsewhere.

No mod author that has agreed to hosting on CurseForge has had any issues with the idea. They may be waiting to see how it works. Once the client has been out for a while we'll be looking for feedback from the authors, and I am sure they will let us know what issues remain that need addressing.

Its possible there are authors that haven't mirrored to CF that might have an issue with it. But I wouldn't know because they haven't spoken to us about it.

Reactions: SynfulChaot
Status
Not open for further replies.