"creative" flight options in dw20

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
I am planning a build in the End, on a survival server. I will need to move around the outside of the build a lot to detail it.

The options I know of are:
* Thaumcraft harness. The problem is supplying it with potentia as it runs out quite fast all things considered.
* ExU "wings" favored by direwolf. So much cheat mode I would feel bad if I used this.
* IC2 has various powered suits, but the jetpack Ive made is more of a jump boost and not useful for flying around and carefully placing blocks. The Quantum suit has a creative style flight option?
* Blood Magic has a sigil that will create blocks under your feet. This sounds useful. Perhaps paired with a TC harness.

Anything else? Modular Powersuits has wings and jump boosts, but I'm not sure if it has hover-in-place flight and - last time I tried it - i hated its dependency on lots of extra keybindings.

McJty

Over-Achiever
Mod Developer
May 13, 2014
twitter.com
RFTools can give creative style flight with the environmental controller. Only works within the range of that controller however. So you can't use it for exploring.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
There's the Flugel Tiara from Botania which allows mana-powered flight, but recent builds have put a 10-second limit on your flight time. It does have dash & glide modes, though.

The OpenBlocks glider in conjunction with a Botania Rod of the Skies or EnderIO Staff of Travelling also allows limited flying, but not really suitable for building.

I don't think Gravisuite is in the DW20 pack, so IC2 flight is probably not an option. I'm not familiar with Blood Magic so can't comment there.

I think if you really need creative-mode flight, your options are ExU (which I agree is cheesy-OP), Thaumcraft, or RFTools. I don't recall the Thaumic Harness being too fuel-hungry the last time I used it (which admittedly was a while ago).

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There's the Flugel Tiara from Botania which allows mana-powered flight, but recent builds have put a 10-second limit on your flight time. It does have dash & glide modes, though.

The OpenBlocks glider in conjunction with a Botania Rod of the Skies or EnderIO Staff of Travelling also allows limited flying, but not really suitable for building.

I don't think Gravisuite is in the DW20 pack, so IC2 flight is probably not an option. I'm not familiar with Blood Magic so can't comment there.

I think if you really need creative-mode flight, your options are ExU (which I agree is cheesy-OP), Thaumcraft, or RFTools. I don't recall the Thaumic Harness being too fuel-hungry the last time I used it (which admittedly was a while ago).

Its is not excessively hungry all things considered there is a quite decent flight time. Its just... jars of potentia are not something one can automate to the point of just asking AE for one, and to actually "refuel" the harness it has to be unequipped onto the action bar, right clicked, the old jar dragged out and the new one dragged in. It gets quite annoying doing that every five minutes.

Adagiovibe

Jul 29, 2019

I am pretty sure that in newer versions of Botania that 10 second rule was slightly changed for the tiara. You get 10 seconds of flight, after which the mana consumption of the tiara drastically increases. So you still get unlimited flight but at considerably more cost.

I don't know if the Dw20 pack has a new enough version of Botania to have this, but if you can manually update, go for it.

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Modular Powersuits has wings and jump boosts, but I'm not sure if it has hover-in-place flight and - last time I tried it - i hated its dependency on lots of extra keybindings.
MPS also have a jet pack (unless it has been disabled in DW20). The flight using that (with flight control set to 0) is better than creative IMHO. Completely superior to anything else I've tried, but I haven't tested the alternatives provided by magic themed mods. It allows perfect hover and "sneak without sinking".

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
And the eye of the flugel from the gaia Boss Makes the flight unlimited
Edit :forgot the edit Button Srry

Last edited:

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
Dw20 pack? Kill a bat or blaze and morph into it.
If the OP considers the ExU wings too cheaty, what do you suppose he thinks of Morph? :D At least the wings need a nether star and some crafting dexterity (or lots of diamonds)...

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
Its is not excessively hungry all things considered there is a quite decent flight time. Its just... jars of potentia are not something one can automate to the point of just asking AE for one, and to actually "refuel" the harness it has to be unequipped onto the action bar, right clicked, the old jar dragged out and the new one dragged in. It gets quite annoying doing that every five minutes.
Well, filling jars with potentia is very easily automated. Breaking full jars and putting them in AE... should be possible to do something with ComputerCraft and the peripheral proxy there (detect full jar -> break jar and pull into AE -> place empty jar in place). But replacing the jar in the harness is likely to remain a manual process.

desht

Jan 30, 2013
UK
I am pretty sure that in newer versions of Botania that 10 second rule was slightly changed for the tiara. You get 10 seconds of flight, after which the mana consumption of the tiara drastically increases. So you still get unlimited flight but at considerably more cost.

I don't know if the Dw20 pack has a new enough version of Botania to have this, but if you can manually update, go for it.
And the eye of the flugel from the gaia Boss Makes the flight unlimited
Edit :forgot the edit Button Srry

Right, the Eye lifts the restriction, but at (I think from looking at the source) triple the mana cost.

HeroWing2

Jul 29, 2019
Or use if you have redstone arsenal (just forgot the modlist )use the flux plated jetpack
And the ichor armour from Thaumic Tinkerer
Oh and desht
So it is at least not cheaty

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
If the OP considers the ExU wings too cheaty, what do you suppose he thinks of Morph? :D At least the wings need a nether star and some crafting dexterity (or lots of diamonds)...

Actually the server admins seem to have disabled morph. But yes. Enough said about that :p

Or use if you have redstone arsenal (just forgot the modlist )use the flux plated jetpack
And the ichor armour from Thaumic Tinkerer
Oh and desht
So it is at least not cheaty

Do have TT in the pack. And redstone arsenal. Knew RA did RF powered bows and stuff, didn't know it had jetpacks.

Axis113

Jul 29, 2019
Blood Magic adds a ritual and a potion of flight. I haven't gotten to use either one yet, but the potion looks easier to get.

Last edited: