Creating the perfect mining world in mystcraft

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Catarooni

Jul 29, 2019
After some testing, neither reinforced stone nor reinforced glass are meteor impervious. Nor is obsidian, being weaker than reinforced stone. Nor is iridium-reinforced stone, which is the hardest known substance other than bedrock, to my knowledge.

Even more scary, I was watching meteors pound at the bedrock, and the meteors were *blasting holes in the bedrock*. I wandered around for awhile, finding roughly meteor sized holes as well as smaller ones, and thinking to myself "This must be some sort of generation glitch." And then right in front of my eyes, a meteor blasts out a hole probably 10x10 in the bedrock. And then I decided not to mess with meteors after all...

A theory I didn't test was trying to build a house underneath some sort of air-propagating decay. Even with high numbers of meteors reigning down from the sky, the decay may be able to outgrow the destruction. Unfortunately, it would probably eat you as well, but if you were ever vigilant and looking for the hardest core of hardcore modes, living in a mountain of decay in a meteor bombed world might be for you.

Alternatively, if you could build a cobblestone generator that could outpace the meteors, you could be able to live in a meteor-bombed world.

CreeperLover101

Jul 29, 2019
my suggestion, don't use dense ores. dense ores make things just too easy, and with dense ores you will always get instability, so you'll have to babysit your mining setup to make sure it doesn't get destroyed.
but if you really want dense ores,you could try turning the instability off

for me a perfect mining world is a flat, one mushroom biome world with eternal day.
because it's flat you don't need to remove any blocks to set your things up, by using a mushroom biome no enemy mobs can spawn, and by using a 1 biome symbol, no other biomes spawn. and by using eternal day you can power your mining setups with solar power if you want.

You have come up with the best age ever. Also, about not using dense ores, thats the best idea. DENSE ORES DOESN'T FUNCTION LIKE IT USED TO! It used to spam every ore in the ore dictionary. Due to lagginess and such, Xcompwiz changed how it works! It had it's own "library" of ores, and mods have to add their ores into it.[DOUBLEPOST=1362262402][/DOUBLEPOST]
if you could build a cobblestone generator that could outpace the meteors, you could be able to live in a meteor-bombed world.

Why this wouldn't work out: Sooner or later a meteor will hit the cobble gen area, rendering it useless. You may think "Well, oh! I can make another covering that one!" This also won't work, because of the same problem. Though they can outpace meteors, still, can and will hit your cobble gen area.

Reactions: Confidential1207

CreeperLover101

Jul 29, 2019
Me hearing more about the meteors made me thinking about pvp servers in which two teams have to get to the linking book to safety before the world eats them. o_O
Okay, that's scary man. Don't do that to me... and don't give my favorite servers ideas..... please?[DOUBLEPOST=1362625141][/DOUBLEPOST]@Whovian, the man who keeps liking my posts.
DUDE I POSTED THAT AND 3 SECONDS LATER YOU LIKED IT! THAT'S CREEPY MAN!

Link1337

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think a quarry is viable in an instable world. And I also think you are unable to get an age with dense ores that doesn't have either meteors, decay or erosion. All three will eventually eat up the entire world making your quarries moot.

And it doesn't really matter. If you need valuable resources fast (diamonds, gold ore, lapis, redstone, red power gems, etc.) and don't have GregTech (I don't know how it interacts here...), multiple dense ores are fine. Just make it a fire-and-forget world. You can get good enough mining equipment easy enough to get several stacks of diamonds in less than 30 minutes in such a world. By that point, the decay probably got to the lower levels of the world and you can scrap it.

For automated mining, I would use a simple flat world biome with 64x64 quarries. But I am not sure this is optimal.
It may be better to use quarries on a cave world (on the top layer covering it). They *should* skip through the vacant space, only picking up the valuables. Quarries in a normal flat world pick up tons of cobblestone and dirt before they get to anything worthwhile... Any thoughts on that? How could you further optimize quarries in a Mystcraft age and how the hell do you reliably power them?

Something like a Ultimate Hybrid Solar Panel (which has a internal MFSU worth of storage and does 512EU/tick and a Diamond Pipe for the junk to go into a void transport pipe (Dirt, Gravel, Cobblestone, and other worthless stuff you don't need at all) and you make 1-2 high-storage chests (Depends if you use dense ores a lot.) and BOOM! A decent quarry that won't do junk but will do the other stuff. (You could even sort the ores if you felt like it by using more chests)

Gemain

Jul 29, 2019
Well playing with Unleashed you can do the following:
Build a quarry with a energy tesser this will give the quarry max speed
Connect a enderchest to the quarry and a !!!!chunkloader!!!! and your done in the age world
@home have your enderchest hooked up on your applied energistics network Or your pipes to chests what ever and then you only have to replace your quarry once a while :p

If you also need to know how to power up your energy tesser supllier, well i use 2 pumps in the nether to pump out lava in big lava pools, those are hooked up to the generators,
(i do use greg tech so i use the thermal ones) those fill my Adjustable Energy Storage Unit (as i still dont have 4 of them to upgrade to the Interdimensional Energy Storage Unit) anywayz
With power converters i put eu in to get mj out this fills my tessers and everywhere i need MJ i can just build 2 tessers give them their own channel and MJ problem solved.

I really recommend using gregtech if you use mystcraft cause otherwise you have build everything before even getting into a age like that. but those are my 2 cents.
Me and a friend play together and when we started a fresh unleased within 10 hours we had a house with all machines build allready with unlimited energy via nether so it was really time to get grechtech :mad:

TerrorBite

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to share my ideal Dense Ores mining world (and mining method) with you all. Using this, I can essentially mine indefinitely, or even return to the world later and continue. Note: I am currently still playing on FTB Ultimate due to my world's dependence on the RedPower mod.

The symbols I use are:
Mushroom Island Biome, Single Biome, No Seas, Cave World, Caves, Ravines, Mineshafts, Bright Lighting, [Any weather], [Any sun/moon/stars], Boundless Skies, Dense Ores, Charged, Scorched Surface, Clear Modifiers.

Breakdown:
  • Mushroom Island Biome, Single Biome: No mobs spawn under a Mushroom Island biome so that's one less hazard to deal with. Unfortunately, by choosing this biome you miss out on any biome-specific ores, like vanilla emeralds, or Gregtech bauxite.
  • No Seas, Cave World: Generate a cave world, but without the usual water at y=32 and below, which means no flooded caves. Makes the underground easier to navigate.
  • Caves, Ravines, Mineshafts: Spelunking is the fastest way to grab lots of ores quickly. Adding these symbols guarantees plenty of exposed ores.
  • Bright Lighting: Eliminates any need for placing torches, especially as the biome guarantees no hostiles will ever spawn naturally (cave spiders still spawn from the mineshaft spawners, though).
  • [Any weather], [Any sun/moon/stars]: Weather and celestials need to be specified to avoid extra instability, which we will have enough of already. Use whatever you want - you'll probably never see the surface anyway.
  • Boundless Skies: I like to throw this in to get rid of the fog effect.
  • Dense Ores, Charged, Scorched Surface: By specifying Charged and Scorched Surface (which only affect the surface where we will never go), you reduce the instability from Dense Ores somewhat, with no inconvenience to yourself. It does not appear possible to eliminate instability completely however. More adventurous world-builders may want to try adding Meteors as well.
  • Clear Modifiers: It's good practice to add this page at the end of any book you write, to eliminate any dangling modifiers that might cause instability. If you don't have this page, don't worry about adding it.
In my experimentation, I find that Dense Ores seems to spawn decay no matter what you try and do to prevent it. Fortunately, my mining technique mitigates the effects of decay, allowing me to mine almost indefinitely. And I'm about to reveal my big secret: Just keep moving.
That's it. That's as simple as it gets. Decay spawns as single blocks in newly-generated chunks, and spreads. Decay cannot spread in chunks that don't exist yet. If your current mining area is getting a little too uncomfortable, just up and move to an ungenerated area, and start mining again. If you're mining underground, pick a direction and keep mining that way. Don't linger in an area for too long otherwise the decay will catch up with you. I carry an Overworld linking book on my hotbar at all times, just in case.

(For your convenience, links to the relevant wiki articles have been provided below)
I carry an Ender Pouch whose matching Ender Chest at my home base is linked to my ME Network (Applied Energistics), which lets me dump the spoils of my mining into my base's storage system via the pouch whenever my inventory fills up. I carry a Silk Touch tool, currently a Diamond Drill enchanted via a book, with which to mine the ores for later processing. The drill drains power from my Modular Powersuit, which does need to be periodically recharged due to this - to solve this issue I carry a second Ender Pouch whose chest in my base sits on top of a Universal Charger from the Power Converters mod. Thus, placing my Powersuit (or any IC2 tool or Universal Electricity compatible item) into the Ender Pouch causes it to be recharged from my base's power supply, no matter where I am. With a decent stock of food, and the mobility provided by the jetpack module in my Powersuit, I can easily mine a large amount of resources from the Dense Ores world while staying ahead of the decay.

Thoughts on automation
I have considered this, and concluded that it may be possible in a world with decay, but not with a BC Quarry. I noticed that decay does not spawn above level 64 (but will spread above that level), and likewise I did not observe it spawning low down either (below level 32), but there may have been decay spawning that I could not see. I considered placing a quarry up near the surface, safe from decay for a while, but all the ores would be consumed by decay before the quarry reached low enough.

Given that I did not encounter any decay in the lowest levels until very late in its spread, I considered a quarrying machine that could run sideways, staying ahead of the decay. A RedPower frame quarry would be fast and produce high yields depending on size, but there were several problems here: 1) No RedPower in the latest modpacks (though not a problem for anyone still on <=1.4.7); 2) keeping it powered would be a chore, without an intricate system of passing BT Batteries through Ender Chests; and 3) frame quarries are intricate devices that need to be constructed in-place, by which time the decay would have spread to a dangerous level.

But then another tunnelling machine came to mind, one that can be placed down and set in motion with only a minute or so of preparation. A Railcraft Tunnel Bore could be the desired automation solution. Ideally it would be placed at y=8 or similar in a Dense Ores world without Caves/Ravines/Mineshafts, towing a World Anchor cart and several chest carts behind it, and be well-stocked with rails, gravel and coal coke. There are still caveats here though. There is no way I can see to get the items out of the world as they are mined (why is there no Ender Chest minecart?) - you would need to periodically enter the world and chase down the tunnel bore, hoping that decay had not caught up with it first. The speed of the tunnel bore would probably not be enough to outpace most types of decay, either. You might get away with it in a world with only the slowest decay type.

All is not lost! I see a possible way to mine out a Dense Ores world where the primary threat is meteors instead of decay. If it is possible to make a Dense Ores world that is decay-free but has Meteors instead, it may be possible to install a BC Quarry underneath an MFFS Forcefield, which would reform its protective shield even after obliteration by a meteor strike. Power for both the quarry and the forcefield system could be supplied from a safer world via one or more Energy Tesseracts (keeping in mind the 25% loss and 100MJ/t limit of a Tesseract), and items retrieved via an Item Tesseract or Ender Chest. The details of the forcefield setup, including required forcefield shape and Forcicium supply, are left as an exercise for the reader.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
on a related note, I tried to disable the fatal instabilities (meteors, decay) in the mystcraft config, only to find out it didn't work, and since I rage-deleted the file and it hasn't been put back, im kinda stuck.
do I have to delete/reinstall the entire unleashed folder?

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I have a suspicion that my 'Knife' Design for RP2 would work. It runs from bedrock to y134, is powered by 4 solar panels. It only cuts a single block line, but does so very quickly. I'm not sure the exact time to cross a chunk, but its pretty fast as long as it doesn't run into anything that stops it, and so far that's only been very tall redwoods.

And if you're looking to get very low, very fast, jetpack and mining laser are the way to go. Look straight down, fire laser in long range mode, and hover with the jetpack until the path is clear.

If you're in Unleashed, I'd suggest an all stone hammer, filled with all Redstone. It'll mine VERY fast, and when it breaks you can then take the cobble you've been mining and repair it on the spot. Just don't stop mining forwards. True, you'll need a more potent pick/drill for some of the ores, but as long as you're quick you should be ahead of the problem, no problem.

thegrimreader

Jul 29, 2019
I play on monster but a mining machine using mining wells and if you use mffs to build a box around it you should be pretty much safe from meteors.