Creating maros

winVIP

Jul 29, 2019
I got a new k95 keyboard and it has 18 macro keys. So I thought why not put them to use. So I am looking for a way to change settings on windows. One of which I am particularly interested in is the sound. I would like a way to maybe set my macro to lower the sound of a particular program or make a macro to change the default audio the device. I was reading somewhere that it may be possible but I am not sure how to do it. I think there is a way to create a file to change some kind of setting, so if I would do that I could just make my macro open it. So if anyone has some knowledge please share it with me.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Why use a macro for sound? You can adjust the Windows Mixer for individual sound levels for different applications.

There is probably a special program for your keyboard for creating macros, since these are usually stored in the keyboard itself. There may be a way to import/export some kind of macro file so you can change the config easily. Mostly you will have to learn the command-line method to change things... you would have to open a command line and stream the proper key presses to it for changes to be made.

The problem with the macro keys on just about any KB that has them is that they don't represent real keys outside the keyboard itself... You can't. for example, re-define your "G1" key to display your Minecraft inventory because it doesn't generate a valid key-code, just replays the one(s) you tell it to.

What you do with the "G" keys is build macros that recreate sequences of other key presses. As an example, say you have diamond armor in your hot bar in positions 5,6,7, and 8 (Boots, Pants, Chest and Hat). You could, assuming no redefined MC commands, create a macro issuing the key presses "E", "5", "6", "7", "8", "ESC" that would bring up your inventory, equip each piece of armor and then exit the inventory. IIRC the pack has specific slot numbers as well... You just have to be careful not to re-sort the pack then expect the macro to work :D

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Why use a macro for sound? You can adjust the Windows Mixer for individual sound levels for different applications.

There is probably a special program for your keyboard for creating macros, since these are usually stored in the keyboard itself. There may be a way to import/export some kind of macro file so you can change the config easily. Mostly you will have to learn the command-line method to change things... you would have to open a command line and stream the proper key presses to it for changes to be made.

The problem with the macro keys on just about any KB that has them is that they don't represent real keys outside the keyboard itself... You can't. for example, re-define your "G1" key to display your Minecraft inventory because it doesn't generate a valid key-code, just replays the one(s) you tell it to.
let me add the qualifier "natively" to your statement.

with software (i'm sure someone makes something similar for later versions of windows, i just can't be bothered to search further for OP tonight) you can indeed assign audio sources a hotkey that can be mapped to such a keyboard.