Crash Landing, help, venting and discussion!

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Make 2nd question depends on how much transfer node you use! Some people use one for cobble gen and use sfm for the rest and the other just use nodes everywhere :p i personnaly don't like vaccum hopper so i would go for the nodes
I was actually intrigued by DW20's use of the omnidirectional hopper to replace the vacuum hopper. I also don't like vac hoppers, they tend to suck up things I don't want to (when I'm puttering around nearby).

Tylor

Nov 24, 2012
Btw, black cobblestone from the road is indeed fit for many things that ordinary cobble can, including furnace or (normal)cobble slabs for mini-furnace.
I probably have just mistake cobblestone and gravel in my inventory. Oops.

Reactions: Raveb

Taiine

Jul 29, 2019
You will need a pick in the long run, why not make a bone one? (Using bonemeal duh)

Make 2nd question depends on how much transfer node you use! Some people use one for cobble gen and use sfm for the rest and the other just use nodes everywhere :p i personnaly don't like vaccum hopper so i would go for the nodes

And btw, you get tons of pearl when you make your grinder. Another choice is the city with enderman spawner or if you are nutz like me, in the upper level chest of buildings

Well I want the hopper so I can automate my sifting and just let it go while I do other stuff. Unl;ess theres other methoods to picking stuff up thats floating that I don't know about.

Mr_Turing

Jul 29, 2019
you can use a water source going into a regular hopper, just surround it with some microblock pannels.

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
Well I want the hopper so I can automate my sifting and just let it go while I do other stuff. Unl;ess theres other methoods to picking stuff up thats floating that I don't know about.

The Item Valve and Rapid Item Valve from Steve's Factory Manager are both very effective ways to pick up loose items. VSWE has a tutorial video up on YouTube with an auto sifter setup using SFM that is awesome.

This setup works much faster then using an Autonomous Activator, and I've noticed a drop in lag now that I've switched over to this system.

Reactions: Tylor

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
Also, 2 more general tips:

First, a wood barrel full of water placed near vanilla cobblestone will turn it into mossy cobblestone. 9 mossy cobblestone can be crafted into a ball of moss, which can be used to give your tools auto-repair!

Second, the red hearts that are dropped by mobs can be eaten to restore 10 full hearts of damage. Heart canisters are fairly easy to find in the cities, so save your raw hearts for when you really need to heal a lot of damage right away!

Reactions: Tylor

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Also, 2 more general tips:

First, a wood barrel full of water placed near vanilla cobblestone will turn it into mossy cobblestone. 9 mossy cobblestone can be crafted into a ball of moss, which can be used to give your tools auto-repair!

Second, the red hearts that are dropped by mobs can be eaten to restore 10 full hearts of damage. Heart canisters are fairly easy to find in the cities, so save your raw hearts for when you really need to heal a lot of damage right away!
Chisel?[DOUBLEPOST=1409760981][/DOUBLEPOST]
Landstryder has a original one

Purplementat uses sfm if you wanna learn how to

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
Chisel?[DOUBLEPOST=1409760981][/DOUBLEPOST]
Landstryder has a original one

Purplementat uses sfm if you wanna learn how to

Chisel mod is also a very easy way to get mossy cobble for moss balls. This is probably the only time you will ever hear (read?) me say this, but using chisel in this case feels a little exploity to me. Though I suppose by the time you can make a chisel you can also make all the components to get moss the Ex Nihilo way, so really it's just saving time. Ok, chisel for moss it is! :D

Edit: You can't make mossy Cobblestone in chisel. You do have to smelt the cobble into stone first. Mossy stone brick works just as well for mossballs.

Last edited:

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
could you add which TiCo weapons can be constructed out of the early game mats? for example the pan can be made out of bone but others need the smelter

Dagger is pre-metal. Mattock can be bone. Most of the tools can be made from bone. Sword can be obsidian - so can a lot of other things. Or netherack for someof them. For obsidian - make a STONE barrel, put in lava. Have water flow over it and obsidian. Click to pop it out. For netherrack, put in a redstone after the lava.

That said - an pickaxe at Legend level made with obsidian might be useful in the city. It was much quicker at breaking the chisel blocks of the ship - in two to three hits most of the time. Much less than with the same pick at flint level. I've yet to go visit the city with it so I can't tell you how it works on the spawners:p I keep coming up with more excuses not to go.

How to level the pickaxe? MAKE AN OLD-FASHION SKYBLOCK COBBLE GEN. Put a hopper below the cobble that form. Connect a double chest to this. Put the autonomous activator you get and set it up so it breaks the cobble. Put in a few of your pickaxes - flint/bone is fine. If you put in a few hammers in there, you can get flint at the same time and use the SFM set-up to seive for your diamond armor.

Reactions: Raveb

madnewmy

Jul 29, 2019
Dagger is pre-metal. Mattock can be bone. Most of the tools can be made from bone. Sword can be obsidian - so can a lot of other things. Or netherack for someof them. For obsidian - make a STONE barrel, put in lava. Have water flow over it and obsidian. Click to pop it out. For netherrack, put in a redstone after the lava.

That said - an pickaxe at Legend level made with obsidian might be useful in the city. It was much quicker at breaking the chisel blocks of the ship - in two to three hits most of the time. Much less than with the same pick at flint level. I've yet to go visit the city with it so I can't tell you how it works on the spawners:p I keep coming up with more excuses not to go.

How to level the pickaxe? MAKE AN OLD-FASHION SKYBLOCK COBBLE GEN. Put a hopper below the cobble that form. Connect a double chest to this. Put the autonomous activator you get and set it up so it breaks the cobble. Put in a few of your pickaxes - flint/bone is fine. If you put in a few hammers in there, you can get flint at the same time and use the SFM set-up to seive for your diamond armor.
Apply diamond hammer as a modifier on the pick so you get gravel and lvl it

Reactions: LostBMe

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
Apply diamond hammer as a modifier on the pick so you get gravel and lvl it
Maybe once I finishes making all the armor first? :D Besides, I'm normally base-building around this time. I need the cobble too.

And am too lazy to go make another one when one can be duo-purposed.......

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
Maybe once I finishes making all the armor first? :D Besides, I'm normally base-building around this time. I need the cobble too.

And am too lazy to go make another one when one can be duo-purposed.......

You do get diamonds from sifting gravel, and more iron than from sifting dust, so the hammer modifier on you pick might be a good early investment.

If you watch PurpleMentat you can also find a good build for a two channel cobble gen. One side can be hooked up to auto collect cobble and the other can be for manual gravel collection.

Last edited:

LostBMe

Jul 29, 2019
You do get diamonds from sifting gravel, and more iron than from sifting dust, so the hammer modifier on you pick might be a good early investment.

If you watch Purple Mental you can also find a good build for a two channel cobble gen. One side can be hooked up to auto collect cobble and the other can be for manual gravel collection.

You mean PurpleMentat? ;) Must have missed or forgotten that one.

stentninja

Jul 29, 2019
I have a problem I can't make a grinder for a quest and I'm using the recipe in nei is this a bug? I'm in 1.1.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MonkeyB

Jul 29, 2019
I like to move into the city early on in the game. Gives me a lot more space to work with, and it's a bit more safe (if you board up the windows and work on the 2nd / 3rd floor at night)

Anyone else do this?

Shane2482

Jul 29, 2019
I have a problem I can't make a grinder for a quest and I'm using the recipe in nei is this a bug? I'm in 1.1.2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is caused by the books you got in the city ID 340:7 if you have a reg book ID 340 in your invatory then throw down the bad books and pick them up and it will fix the ID so you can use them

Raveb

Jul 29, 2019
I like to move into the city early on in the game. Gives me a lot more space to work with, and it's a bit more safe (if you board up the windows and work on the 2nd / 3rd floor at night)

Anyone else do this?

I like to raze the cities to the ground by hand for fun and take the spoils back to my shuttle, turning it into my own little desert fortress. But that's just me, I can see how living in a high-rise would be nice too. :)

Seriously though, there can be definite advantages to moving shop into a city. The biggest I can think of is having premade shell structures that can be re-purposed without having to build everything up from scratch. Agriculture building, industrial building, one for residential...plus easier access to all the loot in the buildings around you!

PODonnell

Jul 29, 2019
regarding re-taking cities, I do wish there where more options for villages. rebuilding a cities civilian population could be bit of a project.... but wooden doors don't exactly fit well into CL cities.