Chickens

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
I was wondering if chickens despawn somehow? i letting them breed all the time but ones i come i have the feeling they arent getting more / despawn. Any ideas why?

NTaylor

Jul 29, 2019
Just as a question how are you trying to make them breed, because if you are using a feeding machine you do know you need to put seeds into it not wheat for chickens.

jetflight

Jul 29, 2019
ya i have put seeds in there and they acctually start breeding but there arent getting more really :/

Lambert2191

Jul 29, 2019
if the space they are breeding in is limited, they will actually despawn, rather than bunch up tighter.

Railcraft Wiki said:
However, animals require a certain amount of space to breed. Pack them too tight and they won't breed, and in fact may even start despawning if they are packed tightly enough.

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
also what I noticed if their room is too small, they start glithing into the walls and die...

BallisticMunky

Jul 29, 2019
also what I noticed if their room is too small, they start glithing into the walls and die...

I experienced this as well, not sure if it is a vanilla issue or or what, but I just made a room with my chickens / cows in it and put a source block in each of the 4 corners to make sure all the animals are pushed to the middle of the room.

Also, in regards to despawning, someone else answered this as it has to do with how many animals have been bred in relation to the space you have them packed into. I usually just put like a half stack in a fairly small room with one feed station (which feeds in a 5x5 area i believe). This breeds plenty, until I kill what I need and place another half stack in. The feed station isn't really something you can feed and forget, unless you setup an elaborate system to transport your "new" cows to another location to let them grow up. This would allow the feed station to work full time because the cows aren't getting cramped in the area around the feed station.

Exquisitus

Jul 29, 2019
I had no problems with this on TPPI, but on my Ressurection server, the exact same farm built exactly the same, the chickens slowly die. Guess its time for a newly designed automated chicken farm. All of them take damage and eventually die in the breeding chamber

ljfa

Jul 29, 2019
Using MFR for that has never caused me these problems, as long as you use a Chronotyper to separate the offspring from their parents