can i make ethanol with creosote oil?

dgdas9

Jul 29, 2019
Why?In real life, ethanol is made out of an oil that comes from burning sugar cane...

buggirlexpres

Relatable Gamer
Trusted User
Retired Staff
Nov 24, 2012
she/her
twitter.com
Why?In real life, ethanol is made out of an oil that comes from burning sugar cane...
Aha. That would be an excellent addition to some mod or another. Like, in a magma crucible, you could burn your sugar cane into a liitle bit of ethanol. Not much, of course (for balance), but it would certainly make it much more awesome. As for turning creosote oil int o it.... Just, no.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
One can easily put creosote oil into a GregTech semi-fluid generator to make a small amount of power.

Also, in the latest versions of something, Smelting Sugar came gives sugar charcoal or something, which smelt like 3 items, and putting it in a coke oven gives sugar coke, which is as good as coal AFAIK.

Ember Quill

Nov 2, 2012
Aha. That would be an excellent addition to some mod or another. Like, in a magma crucible, you could burn your sugar cane into a liitle bit of ethanol. Not much, of course (for balance), but it would certainly make it much more awesome. As for turning creosote oil int o it.... Just, no.
Sugar cane already works in the Forestry Fermenter to produce biomass which can be turned into ethanol.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Creosote will burn in a liquid boiler too, I used the creosote I had saved up from making steel and coal coke for my 1st power setup to start my new boiler and save biofuel til it was hot. The GT semi fluid generator gives 8 EU/t from it as well.

Bellaabzug21

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you want it for power you can burn it up in a steam boiler, but you would need a ridiculous amount of coke ovens.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, if you want it for power you can burn it up in a steam boiler, but you would need a ridiculous amount of coke ovens.

To elaborate on that statement:

If you are playing on 1.5.x, a 1 LP boiler will run 607.6 seconds on one bucket of creosote oil; on 1.4.7, it will last only 405 seconds. A coke oven needs 180 seconds to complete an operation and will produce 0.25 (wood->charcoal) or 0.5 (coal->coke) buckets of creosote during that time. So in both cases, one coke oven making coke or two coke ovens making charcoal is enough to supply the boiler if it is fully heated up (though under 1.5.x you'll be making a lot of excess).

A 36 LP boiler will last for 30.3 seconds on a bucket in 1.5.x, and 20.2 seconds on 1.4.7. That means 24 coke ovens making charcoal, or 12 making coke, is enough to supply the boiler in 1.5.x, and 36/18 under 1.4.7.

With 24 coke ovens making charcoal under 1.5.x, you could drive 20 1 LP boilers for a total of 40 MJ/t, or about 1.6666... MJ/t per coke oven (not counting what you can do with the charcoal). If you used the single 36 LP boiler, you would get 72 MJ/t, or exactly 3 MJ/t per coke oven (again not counting what the charcoal can do).

So what can you do with 24 charcoal every 180 seconds? Run another 36 LP boiler off them, and then be just shy a little for another 8 LP. If you supplemented the 8 LP with two extra wooden planks every 180 seconds (or built just one more coke oven), it'll be enough. That's another 88 MJ/t, for a total of 160 MJ/t (or 6.6666... MJ/t per coke oven).

So yes, it's a big infrastructure investment, but it can actually run pretty well under 1.5.x.