Can anyone ID what this structure is on my map?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
I started a new FTB Monster game a few days ago (Highlands, BoP disabled, ATG disabled, seed -1051178802). Just down the beach from where I made my first camp, this structure was sticking up out of the water:

vhH2KZ9.jpg

I just spent the last couple of days exploring it and it's HUGE. Multiple levels with rooms, corridors, mob spawners, chests, and even laid-out rooms like a library and a study. At first I thought it might be a fortress, but it was entirely intact AND sticking up above ground. I've been through the whole thing and no end gate thingie either.

The lower level was really weird - it was all netherrack and nether brick with the occasional nether crystal block. There were also two rooms that had little alcoves decorated with skeleton heads and silverfish in the walls (that was quite the nasty surprise).

Thoughts on what it could be? More images below:
xa4SN8g.jpg

a5LgcHp.jpg

xDBORkm.jpg

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, cool thanks. I'm still new to FTB and figuring out what all the various mods were.

Going through it was a really fun experience, very much added to the PvE game. Parts of it almost felt like a super hostile dungeon, which I guess is the point.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Something i love about those dungeons is... Enderman spawners. O my goodness, how long i've been waiting for an enderman spawner.. You can't imagine it! (No, I don't use soul cages, mfr reproduction nor any other means of getting a spawner from nowhere, i just move them if and only if i find them for balancing purposes on my game :p)

Besides that, 2 things to think about when going into ROguelike Dungeons: First, some backpacks to store all those enchanted items which will be given to an army of zombies i keep in my base whenever i play on servers.. muejejej... Second: TNT, blow it all up, there are tons of ores in the walls that are exposed because of the generation ^^

Reactions: kilteroff

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, did not realize that. I saw a bunch of Endermen in there but didn't realize there was a spawner around. I'll have to go back and look for it :)

Yeah, I found out about the amount of loot pretty quickly. Thankfully this one was less than 100 blocks from my base so it wasn't too hard to shuttle back and forth.

I did mine the heck out of the exposed ores I did see, but unfortunately blowing it all up is going to be a bit of a challenge as the whole thing (except that tower) is underwater. Nothing scarier than being three levels down, mining a block and having all the water rush in a nuke all your torches making it so you can't see to plug the hole...

Stocks

Jul 29, 2019
I was on 2nd or 3rd level of one of these the other day looting chests when BOOM. Massive explosion. Yes, it killed me AND blew up ALL of my stuff. Sadness, as I had a lot on me. Got all my armor and tools etc too. Just beware that some branches have traps when exploring. And no, i'm not sure what I did to trigger it because I had been in that area a few times before with no probs.

weedenbc

Jul 29, 2019
Yep. I was lucky enough to notice that the item description said "trapped chest" before I opened the first one I found. Digging around it located the trigger which would then be disarmed.

I also noticed in mine that there were mineral blocks in the floor (gold, redstone) with lava directly underneath them as well as on all sides. Tricksy..

Reactions: kilteroff

Albeleo

Jul 29, 2019
I saw a YouTube video where the mod dev said that mossy cobble is supposed to be a clue for you that there is likely an explosion trap in the room. That has largely been my experience.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk

Reactions: unknown zombie

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I saw a YouTube video where the mod dev said that mossy cobble is supposed to be a clue for you that there is likely an explosion trap in the room. That has largely been my experience.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk
I would wager the CREEPER SPAWNER in the room is a dead give away as well to be careful. Also gravel floors in those rooms are easy to break, even under the chests. Safety first, y'all.

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Wow, did not realize that. I saw a bunch of Endermen in there but didn't realize there was a spawner around. I'll have to go back and look for it :)

Yeah, I found out about the amount of loot pretty quickly. Thankfully this one was less than 100 blocks from my base so it wasn't too hard to shuttle back and forth.

I did mine the heck out of the exposed ores I did see, but unfortunately blowing it all up is going to be a bit of a challenge as the whole thing (except that tower) is underwater. Nothing scarier than being three levels down, mining a block and having all the water rush in a nuke all your torches making it so you can't see to plug the hole...

Find the room with all the obsidian The enderman spawners are there.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Something i love about those dungeons is... Enderman spawners. O my goodness, how long i've been waiting for an enderman spawner.. You can't imagine it! (No, I don't use soul cages, mfr reproduction nor any other means of getting a spawner from nowhere, i just move them if and only if i find them for balancing purposes on my game :p)
MFR auto-spawners are kind of a pain to set up, what with their essence requirement and such, so Roguelike Dungeons just made grinding enderman easy-mode.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
MFR auto-spawners are kind of a pain to set up, what with their essence requirement and such, so Roguelike Dungeons just made grinding enderman easy-mode.

Umm.. I feel they are extremely easy tbh.. You can power your monster factory with a common cow farm... Has to be big, but I've done farms of over 100 entities (Which I give some automation in the form of rail tracks)... What i like about the vanilla spawners is that I have to find them, I cant craft it, i have to have a little adventure for them.. Also, you can't compare the spawn rate of a vanilla spawner with a mfr one.. You need 2 or 3 vanilla to get what you get from mfr.. Also, its more tricky to set up, you cant just turn off the spawner with a redstone current, you need to wire some lights.. Vanilla spawning methods are by far more fun than just a machine... Also, maybe autospawners for something tedious to get like food? Ok, not op... But for ender pearls? No thanks.. I dont want to be thermal end game in one night xD

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
I can make a few iron swords, wander around and find a roguelike dungeon, build a quick 3x3 roof over my head near the ender spawner, and safely accumulate all the ender pearls I'll need for the foreseeable future. You don't need to turn a vanilla ender spawner on and off. They're not aggressive, there is no danger. By far the hardest part is locating the dungeon, but I typically do when wandering around looking for the perfect home.

Yes I agree, the adventure to get to that point in the dungeon can be significant, but I'll have several stacks of pearls in much less time than all the motions you need to go through for an autospawner. Don't forget a trip to the Nether to get a ghast tear for your pokeball.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
I can make a few iron swords, wander around and find a roguelike dungeon, build a quick 3x3 roof over my head near the ender spawner, and safely accumulate all the ender pearls I'll need for the foreseeable future. You don't need to turn a vanilla ender spawner on and off. They're not aggressive, there is no danger. By far the hardest part is locating the dungeon, but I typically do when wandering around looking for the perfect home.

Yes I agree, the adventure to get to that point in the dungeon can be significant, but I'll have several stacks of pearls in much less time than all the motions you need to go through for an autospawner. Don't forget a trip to the Nether to get a ghast tear for your pokeball.

Don't forget a nether star for the porta spawner, harder than a ghast tear.. And nope.. You will not, you can have a mfr spawner operating in less than 5 minutes.. Its not like you make an enderman spawner in the first minecraft day so, you will have the materials. Also, being able to turn off spawners is important, even if they are not aggressive, they can teleport, they can clog your memory, etc..etc..

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Whaaat? Nether star for what? My stated goal with farming endermen is ender pearls. You don't need anything fancier than some cobble, a sword, and the location of a roguelike to get all you need. You can turn off the spawner with a handful of torches, so I'm not sure why you're trying to pretend this is complicated. The hardest part is finding the dungeon and lighting it well enough to make it marginally safe to kill Endermen.
5 minutes for an autospawner pumping out endermen? ... trying to make your point via gross exaggerations like that means you really don't care to consider other points of view on the subject. To that end, I'll disengage.

Shevron

Aug 12, 2013
Decent size room, cursed earth, a few fans and a grinder.

I have 1000's of enderpearls now, to the point that I'm considering melting them up into a railcraft tank.

Why? Cos I can!

Greymerk

Jul 29, 2019

That was before I made a whole floor with mossy cobble as the primary building block.

So much stuff has changed since those days.

Reactions: Albeleo and YX33A

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
That was before I made a whole floor with mossy cobble as the primary building block.

So much stuff has changed since those days.
As an aside, love the floor changes, miss the enchanting room bookshelves, they taught me an aesthetically pleasing way to arrange my bookshelves.

wolfsilver00

Jul 29, 2019
Whaaat? Nether star for what? My stated goal with farming endermen is ender pearls. You don't need anything fancier than some cobble, a sword, and the location of a roguelike to get all you need. You can turn off the spawner with a handful of torches, so I'm not sure why you're trying to pretend this is complicated. The hardest part is finding the dungeon and lighting it well enough to make it marginally safe to kill Endermen.
5 minutes for an autospawner pumping out endermen? ... trying to make your point via gross exaggerations like that means you really don't care to consider other points of view on the subject. To that end, I'll disengage.

Nether star for moving the spawner to my base. Yes, you can turn off the spawner with torches, but this is feed the beast ffs... The thing about ftb is making things a little more complicated.. I make spawner that do not need my attention, not swords, no torches, no nothing. But i make them with vanilla spawners because using mrf or soul cages seems too op for me, is that hard to understand? And where is an exaggeration to say that you cna make an autospawner in 5 minutes? do you play with a broken mouse or what? If i had what it needs i would make a video of it just to show you how easy it is xD