Botania - An innovative natural magic themed tech mod (Not in beta any more!)

Zandorum

Jul 29, 2019
I dislike the idea of connecting conduits to flowers, considering the connections will be midair and there's no plug or anything on the flower
There could be a visualization of chains floating from the center of the flower to floating sockets on the sides.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I had an idea, I was going to make it myself with your permission to release it but; I decided to suggest it first. An item called the "Daisy Chain" It would be a Chain you can put on Mana Producing Flowers to make them directly produce RF. I understand there is already a way for them to produce RF but I thought this was an interesting alternative.
Actually, when you say daisy chain, I think of a line of dasies connecting one thing to another. Perhaps something that takes the effect of one plant, and increases the effect around it or something. Or perhaps something that can trigger multiple plants with a single redstone signal, something like that.

Reactions: immibis

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
I had an idea, I was going to make it myself with your permission to release it but; I decided to suggest it first. An item called the "Daisy Chain" It would be a Chain you can put on Mana Producing Flowers to make them directly produce RF. I understand there is already a way for them to produce RF but I thought this was an interesting alternative.

Sounds more like a Technomancy kind of suggestion, at least it would be if that mod didn't already have Hippie Dynamos for a more direct mana to RF gen. Not sure if Botania is intended to be a RF gen mod...

Desman

Sep 23, 2014
Does anyone else have the issue where the Souljourner's Sash 1-block climbing effect doesn't get removed when you unequip the sash? I need to log out while the sash is unequipped to have it removed.

It's a big problem when building stuff, because auto-climbing on stuff all the time results in blocks being placed all over the place instead of where you want them.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
I've had that issue with all the step-assist methods for a long time. No idea what causes it. Sometimes I have to re-log, sometimes I don't. Not all mods trigger it or make it worse/better... it's too random for me to pinpoint without a lot more effort than I want to spend.

Reactions: Wraithflay

Vazkii

Jul 29, 2019
Build R1.6 175, highly recommended update.
http://botaniamod.net/changelog.php#r1-6-175

R1.6 175
  • Added 1.8 stones (Andesite, Diorite, Granite and an extra, Basalt) as mana infusion recipes alongside with some variants and stairs/slabs.
  • Added a config option to disable Relics.
  • Added a config option to disable the fire resist for the Ring of Odin.
  • Added shiny golden flower renders to the heads of contributors.
  • Added Sunny Quartz, new yellow quartz made with Sunflowers. It has corresponding wings too.
  • Added the Bubbell, a new flower that makes underwater bubbles of air where you can build.
  • Added the Solegnolia, a flower that can disable the Ring of Magnetization's effect.
  • Added two awesome tracks of battle music by Kain Vinosec to the Gaia Guardian fight. You can also get these tracks in music disc form as a drop.
  • Brazier Petal Apotecaries now emit light.
  • Changed the Marimorphosis' biome dictionary tag for the Taiga stone from SNOWY to COLD so it works properly in Taiga biomes.
  • Changed the text in the Lexica Botania's landing page a bit.
  • Changed the url in the mcmod.info file from vazkii.us to botaniamod.net.
  • Corporea Sparks will now properly respect the ISidedInventory protocol and not pull items from slots that can't be extracted from the top.
  • Fixed a Stack Overflow crash when a player with a Cloak of Sin attacks or is attacked by a mob from Infernal Mobs with the Vengance attribute.
  • Fixed being able to add Timeless or Resolute Ivy to an item that already has it.
  • Fixed Books being able to go in the Mana Enchanter.
  • Fixed Corporea Sparks not behaving properly with JABBA Barrels and Storage Drawers (from the mod that name). They'll only see 64 of the item but will not destroy items any more like they used to.
  • Fixed Double Flowers sometimes dropping Tallgrass and other things like that when sheared.
  • Fixed Mana Spreaders not dropping their lens or sleeve when broken.
  • Fixed the Changelog and Website buttons in the auto-updater using the old website instead of the new one.
  • Fixed the Flugel Tiara's tooltip not having the "SHIFT for more info" that all the other baubles have.
  • Fixed the Lexicon's lookup feature picking up liquids and fake air blocks.
  • Fixed the Loonium not having a display when looked at with the Manaseer Monocle.
  • Fixed the Manasteel/Elementium Pick and Axe not removing the last item from the inventory but a ghost stack instead when their right click ability is used.
  • Fixed the Resolute Ivy being able to dupe items in the crafting grid.
  • Fixed the Ring of Odin displaying a fake player death animation when unequipped.
  • Having the avlu pb dapm equipped increases the Terra Shatterer's level by 1.
  • Increased owa wrfln te ajylpbb's saturation output.
  • Increased Thermalily cooldown from 6 minutes to 7 minutes.
  • Made the srpa fw iikd's regen effect slower.
  • Optimized flower (and other botania tile entities) client load on syncing by not marking blocks for update and rather directly sending packets to nearby players.
  • Optimized spark network usage and processing. They should work a lot better, both fps and tps wise.
  • Replaced Flugel Tiara Firelord Wings with Phoenix Wings.
  • The Black Hole Talisman will no longer keep a stack of the specified block in the inventory, block placing is done through right clicking with it exclusively now. Putting the talisman in a crafting table will allow one to extract a stack of the block at once.
  • The Hardmode Gaia Guardian can now drop records.
  • The ingame downloader now downloads the file as a .jar.dl and renames it to a .jar when done to prevent loading of broken mods if any interruptions happen.
  • [API] Added a blacklist for the Loonium.
  • [API] Added canExtractItem check to CorporeaHelper.isValidSlot.
  • [API] Added VanillaPacketDispatcher to the internal namespace.
  • [API] Increased version number to 38.
  • [API] Replaced dumb stack size subtractor from CorporeaHelper in favor of a decrStackSize() call.
  • [API] SubTileEntity.sync() now calls the method from VanillaPacketDispatcher rather then using markBlockForUpdate().

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
Is this R1.6 177 change hard and fast?
The following items can no longer drop from the Loonium: Lexica Botania, Black Lotus, Overgrowth Seed and all records.

Personally I'd prefer this in a BotaniaLooniumBlacklist file so I could allow/disallow stuff from the Loonium myself. Like everything from RailCraft for instance.

QuantumZari

Jul 29, 2019
Vazkii mentioned on Twitter the other day that wireless redstone was possible with Botania which inspired me to make this simple test build. The force relay is bound to the purple wool block if that wasn't obvious.
BotaniaWirelessRedstone.png

Definitely going to have to use this in some of my future builds I think. Figured I'd post it here so others could take advantage of it as well.

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
Hey Vazkii! You said to give you a poke when someone makes an addon. *poke* Basically, I want to add Elementium and Manasteel sickles to my mod, CopperTools. Hopefully you are okay with this.

Last edited:

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Hey Vazkii! You said to give you a poke when someone makes an addon. *poke* Basically, I want to add Elementium and Manasteel sickles to my mod, CopperTools. Hopefully you are okay with this.
I don't see why Vaskii would have a problem with that. Balance wise it would just be a more expensive and less effectve version of Botania horns. Then again the sickle would be able to be enchanted with silktouch for leaf block acquisition. But that hardly affects balance.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I still wanna do a Garden Defense addon for Botania one of these days. Practical? Probably not, the Bellthorne works amazingly well to keep zombies off your lawn. Mostly just for the lulz of making various things like peashooters, snow peas, melonpults and the upgraded winter melons...

Reactions: lucariomaster2

gardenapple

Mod Developer
Jan 14, 2014
I don't see why Vaskii would have a problem with that. Balance wise it would just be a more expensive and less effectve version of Botania horns. Then again the sickle would be able to be enchanted with silktouch for leaf block acquisition. But that hardly affects balance.
I know it's not unbalanced by any means, just saying that I'm doing a thing.

WitherBlaster

Jul 29, 2019
I still wanna do a Garden Defense addon for Botania one of these days. Practical? Probably not, the Bellthorne works amazingly well to keep zombies off your lawn. Mostly just for the lulz of making various things like peashooters, snow peas, melonpults and the upgraded winter melons...
I would honestly like to see this. Just out of curiosity, would you include any of the plants introduced in PvZ 2, or would it just be plants from the first game?

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
I would honestly like to see this. Just out of curiosity, would you include any of the plants introduced in PvZ 2, or would it just be plants from the first game?
Just the first one. The second one has irritated me by not being released on a rational OS yet. But then, considering EA has purchased PopCap, that's not particularly surprising. They've been really good at killing gold-egg laying geese lately. They USED to be a good company, back in the 80's and even 90's. But lately? Not so much.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
They actually used to be a good company? Didn't most of their IP's consist of "sports" and "sims" for decades? In other words "release the same game with tiny tweaks every year"

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
They actually used to be a good company? Didn't most of their IP's consist of "sports" and "sims" for decades? In other words "release the same game with tiny tweaks every year"
They used to release good solid games back in the '80's. Even early 90's. They had some solid Nintendo releases as well as PC. They didn't start doing the sports/sims until late 90's early 2000's.

TomeWyrm

Jul 29, 2019
That was before the time I actually truly paid attention to video game publishers, I'm sad about the present but amazed about the past.

PippinSmith

Jul 29, 2019
Seeing pure daisy recipes in the changelog made me think that @Vazkii might actually approve the custom recipe handler idea I got a few days ago, so here goes:

If I understand correctly, the spirit of the Runic altar is to infuse the items with mana, and then compress and etch/imbue them on the livingrock you throw on it, making a rune. (and there's no other recipes than runes in the runic altar in 'vanilla' botania, right?)

I've been playing the modpack Regrowth lately, in which the Runic altar is used to make most of the magical crops seeds, and they require an essence seed in the recipe (and a hefty amount of mana for the end-game seeds), after which you throw the livingrock on the Runic altar to finish the crafting.

Of course I realize that these are just custom recipes which are made by the modpack developer @thephoenixlodge but when I started thinking about how the Runic altar is about etching the rune in the livingrock, it kinda didn't make sense to me to require livingrock to finish recipes like resource seeds, and I thought 'what if Vazkii allowed the finishing item to be something else instead of the probably hardcoded livingrock, which would give modpack devs more freedom to use the Runic altar for custom recipes, and make those recipes make more sense (in my head)' so when I saw pure daisy recipes in the changelog, I got new hope of mentioning my idea to Vazkii.

So Vazkii, if you read this and approve of this idea, you should thank @thephoenixlodge for making Regrowth and using the Runic altar for custom recipes :)

Reactions: RamblinWreckGT