Blood N Bones [Hardcore Survival]

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
So what exactly does strikeout mean? I know what it means but how does it pertain to growing crops in a sky base?

JeremyTheObscure

Jul 29, 2019
Since 2.0.0 is "coming soon" (don't any of you dare ask for an ETA!), I have a few balance suggestions for consideration. All of my suggestions pertain to the early game, since that is the part I have played (repeatedly).

Lobber (AKA Lobster) Farming

A couple of weeks ago, Thorgan8 posted the design for a simple, low-tech, automated Lobber Farm. This set up, which requires nothing more than a couple clay buckets and some quicksand, gives the player a renewable supply of blaze powder, magma cream, magma charges, and, most importantly, coal. This eliminates the necessity of dangerous early game coal mining, circumventing a core difficulty component of the modpack. Apparently lobbers can also be used to generate blood in the smeltery.

My suggested change is to reduce or eliminate all lobber drops, with the exception of magma charges.

Quicksand

Quicksand, added by Biomes O' Plenty, is a very powerful block for trap construction and base defense. Mobs will attempt to path over it, get stuck, and eventually suffocate and drop items which can easily be collected, providing a danger free source of bones and rotten flesh, among various other drops, and disposing of the various dawn resistant mobs. I have also heard that a quicksand moat is sufficient to foil Hostile Worlds invaders, though I have not tested that myself. Combined with a spawner secured within a roguelike, and quicksand provides a quick set up means of farming most mob resources.

I have several possible changes to suggest. If it is easily possible, it may be best to disable quicksand from generating, preventing it from being easily available from the very start. If you disable generation but do not want to completely remove quicksand, you could consider adding a crafting recipe for it, either behind some tech level, or with something inconvenient like sand + water bucket + slimeball. If you can't stop BoP from generating quicksand, another possibility it to put it on the grief list, making it worthless for base defense. Unfortunately, adding naturally generating blocks to the grief list is not ideal.

Instant-growing Dye Trees and Harvestcraft Trees

Saplings of both Project Red dye trees and Harvestcraft fruit trees grow instantly with a single application of bonemeal. Dye trees will grow this a random wood type, giving the player access to every vanilla wood from the safety of their base. More egregiously, Harvestcraft trees grow with immature fruit, which can be harvested by breaking it with an axe. This allows a (slightly labor intensive) way to turn bonemeal directly into food at a highly favorable rate (3-5 pieces of fruit per), in addition to the wood.

If it is not possible to make these trees require multiple applications of bonemeal, then I have a couple suggestions for balancing them. I suggest disabling dye trees, if it is possible. The resource they add (dyes of every color) are accessible by other, more difficult means in the game. Harvestcraft trees play a more important role, and I would be sad to see them go. One way of limiting the utility of bonemeal, chop, and replant farming of Harvestcraft trees is to make the sapling recipes more expensive. My suggestion would be to have them require a piece of mutandis in addition to the base sapling and piece of fruit. This fits thematically, and limits the throughput without moving trees too far down the tech tree.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
With the quicksand thing you could just configure creepers to target them. Then you would have to constantly fix them or not use them at all

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
With the quicksand thing you could just configure creepers to target them. Then you would have to constantly fix them or not use them at all
The problem as he stated is that if you happen to be in a biome with quicksand, as soon as creeper spawn, you'll end up with Chernobyl.

xcuad

Jul 29, 2019
OK... I just test this in creative... You can use your head in the witchery altar to boost it x6... I set an Autonomous Activator with a cleaver... And it work... The only problem is that I need to kill the dragon first to make the AA in my game

Thorgan8

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the quicksand is that big of a deal. Using it does get you an advantage, but not a huge one.
The coal is very handy, but assuming you want to build the farm under ground to preserve space in your base it takes quite a while to build.
And, to my own disappointment, the mob drops really aren't that useful. The only common drops that were useful to me were vanilla arrows and bones. Maybe the gunpowder would be great in 2.0 though if it's true that you need a high oven to get steel then.

sqitchy

Jul 29, 2019
Also a nice little trick to remove dark areas without torches is lava. Just put a stone block 1 block above the lava and boom. You have a lit area safe from blaze/lob and mobs won't target it or even spawn for that matter. Make sure you surround the lava in the middle of a 9 by 9 grid of stone so the lava doesn't catch grass on fire.

If advantages are what we're trying to remove, there's one ;) Then again it's not so much an advantage since you have to obtain the lava, and chose if you want it's light or power for the smelter.

MarcNemesis

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think the quicksand is that big of a deal. Using it does get you an advantage, but not a huge one.
The coal is very handy, but assuming you want to build the farm under ground to preserve space in your base it takes quite a while to build.
And, to my own disappointment, the mob drops really aren't that useful. The only common drops that were useful to me were vanilla arrows and bones. Maybe the gunpowder would be great in 2.0 though if it's true that you need a high oven to get steel then.

Actually, mob drop are very handy. I actually made a infinit power source from mob drop. I won't go into detail openly though because I want to keep my devious design for 2.0 Muahaha.

Make sure you surround the lava in the middle of a 9 by 9 grid of stone so the lava doesn't catch grass on fire.
Simpler than that. 1 Torch surrounded by leaves.

Reactions: Thorgan8

xcuad

Jul 29, 2019
don't know what is happening.. but i cant open Blood n Bones... every time I open the modpack start loading minecraft and stay there... i open another modpack and open without problem... i delete the modpack and download it again... and still minecraft stay freeze after open it

Edit:
Here the console
http://pastebin.com/ervnuuqg

Last edited:

Kamran Mackey

Jul 29, 2019
I have a suggestion. For Blood & Bones 2.0, you guys should consider adding Quests to the pack using the Hardcore Questing Mode mod. That will make the mod pack more immersive.

Reactions: kaocrat

Suddenlyz

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having a problem with blood magic potions all causing me to take drowning damage....Is this intended? I've changed the configs to the ones suggested earlier in this thread and am using v1.1.5. My temporary solution is to use the elemental affinity sigil, it works but i would rather not have to use it.

Also, why is it so difficult to get an iron sword? I fully explored 10+ roguelikes with no luck, ended up just cheating one in. At least it saved me from farming wither skeleton skulls from the nether.

Last edited:
Reactions: kaocrat

Anesos

Jul 29, 2019
I'm having a problem with blood magic potions all causing me to take drowning damage....Is this intended? I've changed the configs to the ones suggested earlier in this thread and am using v1.1.5. My temporary solution is to use the elemental affinity sigil, it works but i would rather not have to use it.

Also, why is it so difficult to get an iron sword? I fully explored 10+ roguelikes with no luck, ended up just cheating one in. At least it saved me from farming wither skeleton skulls from the nether.
No, you shouldn't get drowning damage from blood magic potions. At least I haven't seen that in my game. Is it a particular potion? Or all of them?

As for the iron swords... It looks like they aren't in the roguelike-loot.cfg. I think this was planned to be a first round of loot updates, but won't get another update until BnB 2. This was added in BnB 1.1.2, so you'll only find the old default loot spawns in dungeons generated in 1.1.1 or earlier.

A few options:
- Add iron swords (267) to the roguelike-loot.cfg and generate new chunks / new dungeons
- Delete roguelike-loot.cfg which would restore the default loot spawns - new chunks / dungeons of course
- Remove recipes.remove(<267>); in minetweaker which should let you craft one
- Or just cheat it in... heh

Prominthore

Jul 29, 2019
No, you shouldn't get drowning damage from blood magic potions. At least I haven't seen that in my game. Is it a particular potion? Or all of them?

As for the iron swords... It looks like they aren't in the roguelike-loot.cfg. I think this was planned to be a first round of loot updates, but won't get another update until BnB 2. This was added in BnB 1.1.2, so you'll only find the old default loot spawns in dungeons generated in 1.1.1 or earlier.

A few options:
- Add iron swords (267) to the roguelike-loot.cfg and generate new chunks / new dungeons
- Delete roguelike-loot.cfg which would restore the default loot spawns - new chunks / dungeons of course
- Remove recipes.remove(<267>); in minetweaker which should let you craft one
- Or just cheat it in... heh
Hey Anesos. I remember you mentioning in one of your episodes how to automate fresh water, but I can't find it. What was the method/episode?
Love your show,