Biogas Engines + Creosote Oil?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question.

According to the Forestry wiki, biogas engines can burn Railcraft's creosote oil. However, when trying this out ingame, the engines won't accept it. Not from buckets, not from cells or cans or capsules. It doesn't seem to be a valid fuel at all.

Has anyone had success doing this?

Skirty_007

Jul 29, 2019
I read somewhere that it was only a temporary measure and once steam was implemented it would be removed. Wish I could remember where I read it though, can't point you there, sorry!

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
From Railcraft Version History:
Version 6.7.0.0 - (10-26-12)

• CHANGE: Creosote can no longer be burned in Biogass Engines, but it can be burned in a Boiler. Its not very effective though.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ah... so basically Forestry added that to make the oil useful, but then Railcraft added liquid fuel fireboxes for steam boilers, and so Forestry removed the option again?

Vauthil

Jul 29, 2019
Creosote's a Railcraft-only thing. CovertJaguar originally included it as a valid biogas engine fuel while he was working on boilers. Now that boilers are out, that functionality is deprecated and if you want to convert creosote to energy you need to put it through a liquid fueled firebox. Nothing Forestry itself really changed.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, makes sense, I reckon.

Too bad, I have excess creosote oil and need around 5-10 MJ for something. Two biogas engines would have been perfect, whereas the 1 LP boilers are undersized, the 8 LP boilers are oversized, and the 1 HP boilers are unavailable to me because I can't produce steel. Oh well...