Big Reactors: getting one's feet wet

Yusunoha

Jul 29, 2019
I would guess a 3x(high number)x3 reactor running at high temperature feeding a MFR laser drill would be the best bet due to its low efficiency.

Or you can process your Yellorium ore in the EnderIO SAG mill for the 5% chance for a bonus cyanite dust.

that's quite a low chance of getting cyanite... I wish there was a machine or reactor design where you can quickly convert yellorium into cyanite for people wanting to use the more efficient tubines instead of just reactors... perhaps smelting yellorium in a furnace?

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
perhaps smelting yellorium in a furnace?
In the name of realism that would be rather messed up. Putting energy into reactor fuel to make it into reactor waste :p Should be the other way around.

I quite like it actually, having to progress a bit through tiers. And you can always just build the reactor you plan on producing steam with, let it run hot for a while to produce your power and cyanite until you have enough to make your turbines. Once you are ready, put in the cooling ports and you are done.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
5x5x5 reactor with only fuel rods and no cooling elements. Should produce a prodigious amount of heat. Plus it'll burn through a lot of Yellorium anyway.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
that's quite a low chance of getting cyanite... I wish there was a machine or reactor design where you can quickly convert yellorium into cyanite for people wanting to use the more efficient tubines instead of just reactors... perhaps smelting yellorium in a furnace?
It occurs to me: you could see this as a gating mechanism. Obviously everyone would rather using more efficient turbines, so you could see the non-efficient mechanism as a tier: to progress past it, you need to get far enough along with it to get your cyanite.

(otherwise nobody in their right minds would use the passively-cooled mechanism anymore, right?)

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
does anyone know of a good way to quickly produce cyanite? I want to try and build some turbines as soon as possible but it's going to take ages before I get enough cyanite for it...
I've heard on the TPPI IRC that pyrotheum works as a "coolant". :)