Best Modpack for new to modding player?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Crazy-San

Jul 29, 2019
So a friend of mine would like to dive into Modpacks, but has no experience outside of Vanilla Minecraft. Can anyone suggest a good pack for a first timer? One that has a good HQM teaching mods would be best.

Crazy-San

Jul 29, 2019
I thought of that because the original was one that a friend of mine used to get our feet wet with modding. Problem is that AG2 is very specialized so it doesn't really show you the way you would normally use or get stuff.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
AG2 is a highly modified mod pack... almost all the recipes are modified to be harder to accomplish.

I'd start with something like Direwolf20, which has a good selection of mods and a companion "Let's Play" YouTube series mostly run as a tutorial to go with each new version.

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
Any of them, well any that aren't intended to be soul crushingly hard.
Infinity should do for a beginner.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Zarkov

Mar 22, 2013
Given that your friend isn't playing on a potato, I would recommend a large kitchen sink pack with configs somewhat close to the defaults. Lots of mods available, mostly working like they do "out of the box".

LIke @Hambeau suggested, I think Direwolf20 is a good choice since you have the let's plays as a help.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
So a frien
d of mine would like to dive into Modpacks, but has no experience outside of Vanilla Minecraft. Can anyone suggest a good pack for a first timer? One that has a good HQM teaching mods would be best.

This depends entirely on your friends motivation for playing modded minecraft.

If they are looking for reasons to fight monsters and explore? Packs involving Twilight Forest, The Atum, Roguelike Dongeons and Zelda Sword Skills (much more than its name implies) should be considered. Ruins, Chocolate Quest, The Erebus and Recurrent Complex are also good to look for.

If they want premade maps that use mods to provide a scenario driven experience, then one of the HQM packs like Agrarian Skies, Crash Landing or Material Energy are good.

If they want the minecraft sandbox experience but with mods providing a technical endgame, then packs using Rotary Craft or Greg tech should be considered.

If the primary motivation is building, but with tech mods to assist, then direwolf20 or any of the RF based tech packs, includingmods such as chisel, ztones, carpenters blocks etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: JunpakuKarasu

Type1Ninja

Jul 29, 2019
I would not recommend Vanilla+ as an introduction pack, as that doesn't really add any mods that get people into modded MC. If one of the biggest things in all of modded MC is tech and automation, why would you pick a pack that doesn't have it? Vanilla+ has it's place (creative builds seem like they would go well), but for a beginner I would choose a pack that has a little bit of everything. So, a kitchen sink pack like Infinity or DW20, or (shameless plug) my pack, Intro2Mods.