BEES - Need help! (Gunpowder factory)

DuckDoesQuack

Jul 29, 2019
I know, somewhat, a lot about feed the beast, but I've never experimented with bees. I've been watching some youtube videos and reading guides on them.
I'm making a tnt & firework factory, and I've tested all the ways to obtain tnt in a creative world. I've tried mobtraps, netherrack quarries/magma crucible/pulverizer setup, and the last way is bees. You need Austere (Modest | Frugal) bees, which involves nether breeding (nocturnal | heat). I have no idea where to begin. I have hexflower.com guide open up and I want to know specifically how to breed each bee. Step by Step (eg, put this bee in apiary, take the queen and put it here) If you can help me in anyway, or find an easier way to get gunpowder please let me know. If the bee's are impossible for me, I will keep trying with the netherrack way, I just want the quarry, magma crucible, pulverizer, and magmatic engine to run on their own, but it's too weak.

Thanks

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
I am not a huge bee expert, and have never bred austere myself, but I think I can provide some help. Some others may wish to step in and provide some corrections or clarifications, but here goes anyway.

Your first non-wild bee is going to be a cultivated, which is pretty simple. All you need to do is combine two species of wild bees from different biomes to get common, then combine those common with another wild bee, which should provide cultivated. At this point I recommend taking a short time to stabilize, and get the cultivated breeding true. Now you want to go to the nether, and breed a modest or tropical (both wild) princess with a cultivated drone. The princess/drone combo is specific in this case because a cultivated queen will not reproduce in the nether. This is probably going to be the hardest part. Once you get a sinsiter you may also want to stabilize and get sinister breeding true. Now combine modest princesses with your sinister drones back in the overworld, and you should get frugal. From there it is just combining your new frugal back with modest to get Austere.

The chain up to cultivated should be done in a typical biome, obviously the sinister breeding should be in the nether, and the frugal/austere should be fine to be done in the desert.

If you want to bum-rush this it would be a good idea to build a duplicator, so that you can get a bunch of princesses and drones of the appropriate type, increasing your chances of the RNG liking you. They are not particularly complicated, and can be exceedingly useful.

The other problem you may have is getting modest queens to produce in the nether, as I have never done it I am unsure if they can do so from wild. It may be needed to breed in additional tolerances.

So, yeah, that is my best shot at helping having done some stuff with bees in the past, but never dealing with these trees.

Sengir

Jul 29, 2019
Word to the wise: Specialties will only be produced, if the queen is jubilant. That's only the case if she's in her native biome. (Alvearies do not alleviate that, neither does temperature or humidity tolerance. Both temperature and humidity of the current biome must match the native ones of the bee.)

This was your obscure bee mechanic for the day.

(Yes, I know that one isn't really all that intuitive and not documented anywhere.)

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Word to the wise: Specialties will only be produced, if the queen is jubilant. That's only the case if she's in her native biome. (Alvearies do not alleviate that, neither does temperature or humidity tolerance. Both temperature and humidity of the current biome must match the native ones of the bee.)

This was your obscure bee mechanic for the day.

(Yes, I know that one isn't really all that intuitive and not documented anywhere.)
That explains the issues I have noticed in the past, I just wrote it off as general code weirdness and worked around it, thanks for the explanation since I now know it is an intended feature :)

DuckDoesQuack

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks so much guys, a lot of my friends on a server have been helping me out aswell. I couldn't find any good video tutorials that started with basics and got advance. Or, atleast, ones that were easy to understand (hint to Sengir). The wiki has been alright, except for the lol muffins page.