Bees losing traits?

Scum

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure if this is a bug or a balance feature, but the other day on my test world my perfect breeding pair of valuable bees (inoculated with excellent quality serum for elongated life, fast productivity, and high (3 drones) fertility) were put in an alveary with 17 frame housings, each with 1 proven frame in them. The bee produced 20 platinum combs over it's life span and when I took out the offspring and put them back in I noticed it's life span was very short. I took out the queen and analyzed it, I found out that it had reverted to shorter lifespan, all the other traits were normal.

Anyone know why/how this happened?

The weird thing is I analyzed some of the drones from my previous automatic apiary setup and found that they had done the same thing, even though the princess and drone I took from that chest had a longer life.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
No idea about the bug, haven't occurred to me until now.

Btw you will produce more than 20 for elongated life, 20 combs are the maximum for shorter life bee, So the bee that produces those 20 was definitely shorter life; and you only need 9 frame housings to get 20 plat combs per life span of shorter life bee.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
I've found if you don't inoculate the drone and princess before breeding them (I.e. putting traits onto the queen) then the progeny end up with varied traits between the inoculated ones and the original traits, but so far all of the bees I've inoculated the princess and drone separately have kept their traits.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Did you analyze your princess and drone to check, that they both had all the wanted traits on both alleles? Meaning: All the wanted traits were perfectly stable? The last time I tried inoculating (that was in 1.5.0.1 I think), inoculation took a few tries, until everything was stabilized.

Scum

Jul 29, 2019
The drone and princess were inoculated separately, and until the traits were on both the dominant and recessive side. Now that you tell me that 20 combs is the max for a short lived bee the mutation must have happened early on.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
The drone and princess were inoculated separately, and until the traits were on both the dominant and recessive side. Now that you tell me that 20 combs is the max for a short lived bee the mutation must have happened early on.

They don't change their traits until they die, just in the same way you won't suddenly become blonde haired and blue eyed from having green eyes and brown hair half way through your life. They breed, and just as the drone dies in reality, it dies, princess becomes queen, so the queen has the exact same traits as the princess used. And then when the queen dies, it gives offspring, and the offspring are a mix of the drone and the princess traits.

If you inoculated them both before breeding to the point where they were homozygous... I have no idea why it shifted the traits.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
The only possible explanation is that you remembered to innoculate them for all the traits except for the elongated life, I actually know that there's a bug where sometimes bee will produce exactly the same amount of combs with the bee before it (eg even if the new bee has longest life, it still produce 20 (the previous bee has shorter life) until the next cycle), but in that case, their next offspring (princess and drones) will still have longest life and doesn't revert back to shorter life.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I don't know if this is true, but I've read somewhere, that even with the best possible serum you can have a slight chance of some traits randomly changing to minimum (lifespan, speed, fertility, pollination). Did you check your bees (princess and drone) in the beealyzer before putting them into the alveary, or only before inoculation them?

Delcar

Jul 29, 2019
There is that bit about 'genetic exhaustion' that is mentioned on the forestry wiki... maybe its by design?

glaux

Jul 29, 2019
There is that bit about 'genetic exhaustion' that is mentioned on the forestry wiki... maybe its by design?

The 'genetic exhaustion' is only for artificially created princesses via the 'swarmer' alveary expansion block (according to the Forestry Wiki).