Bee question

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Fyugre

Jul 29, 2019
What do swamp bees need? it says hive members are not finding the right flowers, I have vines all around but the beealyzer says they need mushrroms, but I cant place shrooms.

trunksbomb

Jul 29, 2019
They need mushrooms, you answered your own question. They can only be planted in some amount of darkness, I think.

aanthony3

Jul 29, 2019
Mushrooms can only be placed on blocks at light level 13 or less and they can't directly underneath the sky.

Scaffolding

Jul 29, 2019
If you want to change the requirement you can put: flowers, mushrooms, cobble, nether wart, redstone... etc. into an acclimatiser to change what the bees require for activity. But if you want to be less cheaty then you can make a tiny tunnel to block light and put the mushroom inside of, just leave it open near the apiary/alveary.

You have a few options… The easiest way is to simply place the apiary somewhere that mushrooms are already growing nearby. Another easy way is to construct a dark area near the apiary (such as a floating dirt platform) and plant the mushrooms there. A harder way is to produce mycelium using the moistener; with the mycelium you can plant the mushrooms in broad daylight. So lots of ways to deal with this issue, and no real need for a Forestry fix.
The large mushroom thing is interesting, though. If you can’t use those, it would be a nice touch to have them added as legitimate “flowers”.
- bobbun [buildcraft forums January 21, 2013 at 10:35 pm]

Yuka

Jul 29, 2019
You could go underground, place everything, then just make a 1x1 hole to the surface, so the sky is technically not obstructed, yet the mushrooms are not hit by it?

Squigie

Jul 29, 2019
A moistener will get you mycelium. Mushrooms placed on it will tolerate any light level. Or place the mushroom in a sealed, dark box. It just has to be in range, bees don't need line of sight.

slay_mithos

Jul 29, 2019
Or you could go foe the easy thing of putting 2 blocks of dirt on top of each other, destroy the bottom one, and plant the mushroom under the block that is now providing cover from the sun.