Bee Breeding Wiki

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
You can convert the numbers from the database back to the base chances. IIRC: 27.5/(speed*time*60) with speed 0.3-1.7 depending on the speed rating and the time given in minutes.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Reactions: whizzball1

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Just want to say thank you for this wiki. It's an invaluable resource and guide, especially with extra bees where there are soooo many bees, trial and error would be very frustrating.

At least now I can see what bee I want, what species I need, and what I need to breed together to achieve that. Still have to deal with unexpected mutations, bees refusing to "purify" (took me about 20 generations to stabalise my cultivated bees, but only 3 generations for my noble!) and random luck.

Starting to enjoy bees, especially now that I'm getting apiarists pipes. Had to do it the slow way by squeezing my valuable honey drops on the slim chance of getting propolis.

Speaking of pipes, I've got them at the bottom of my apiaries, do pumping any bees up to the white, and along the green I've got Items. All other colours closed off. What would happen when I eventually get overflow bees. Will they go down the items exit, or should I change that to Anything? Does Any Bee override the Anything? Just worried that I could lose my Princess down the Anything exit, which would lead it to be liquidifed into DNA.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
In Apiarist's Pipes everything chooses the most specific path first and a more general path later on. In my setups I have the output entering the housing (Apiary/Alveary) set to "Any Bee" and the other output leading to storage set to "Anything". So bees will first try to enter the housing (princesses will always be able to enter, since nothing can have occupied their slot) and only if they cannot enter, they will go the same way as your combs.
In my case the contents of the output-inventory of the housing are pumped out, enter the pipe from the top or bottom, have "Any Bee" set to red (the housing connects on the red side) and set blue to "Anything", where it leads to an Iron Pipe, leading to storage. Don't have multiple housings lead somehow to the same Apiarist's Pipe, better let them connect only at a dedicated line leading to storage, where every Apiarist's Pipe connects to a properly configured Iron Pipe (which can have multiple inputs without problems).

Golrith

Over-Achiever
Trusted User
Nov 11, 2012
Thanks. I better change my pipes before I get my drones overflowing :D

I had a thought too, I noticed on the pipes that you can specify traits and species of bees. Does that only work when the bee is analyzed? If it works on a bee that's not analzyed, then in theory you could setup a pipe sorting system from a apiary/avery that you are using for mutation purposes. Bit overkill, but saves on the honey.

Oatmonster

Jul 29, 2019
I just realized that with TF installed, you can uncraft slimeballs for propolis and string for silk wisps.

Eunomiac

Jul 29, 2019
Starting to enjoy bees, especially now that I'm getting apiarists pipes. Had to do it the slow way by squeezing my valuable honey drops on the slim chance of getting propolis
As far as I know, the best way to get Propolis in the early-game for those first few Apiarist Pipes is via Watery Bees: Watery Propolis in a Squeezer produces Propolis.

I just realized that with TF installed, you can uncraft slimeballs for propolis and string for silk wisps.
That... is amazing to know. From making Sticky Pistons for ME Busses, to smelting them for Rubber, to uncrafting them for Propolis, Slimeballs are quite the valuable early-game resource (well, "early-game" might be a little premature for an Uncrafting Table, though I'm no TF expert)! And uncrafting String for Silk Wisps certainly makes those annoying Tropicals a litte less important early-on.

Speaking of pipes, I've got them at the bottom of my apiaries, do pumping any bees up to the white, and along the green I've got Items. All other colours closed off. What would happen when I eventually get overflow bees. Will they go down the items exit, or should I change that to Anything? Does Any Bee override the Anything? Just worried that I could lose my Princess down the Anything exit, which would lead it to be liquidifed into DNA.
"Any Bees" overrides "Anything": Objects moving through an Apiarist Pipe will always try to go down the most restrictive path available to them first, and "Any Bee" is more restrictive than "Anything"; only if the bee cannot go down the "Any Bees" path will it try to go down the "Anything" path. Since you'll never have more than one Princess in this system, and there's always room for one Princess in an Apiary, you'll never be in danger of losing a Princess with an "Any Bee"/"Anything" configuration (unless you're using one Apiarist Pipe to manage multiple Apiaries, which is possible with the species configuration on the right side of the Apiarist Pipe GUI, but it's not really worth the effort).

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Updating the Bee Wiki is overdue, I'll start soon. It will update (if nothing changes in the next days) to Forestry 2.2.6.3, Extra Bees 1.6.Pre13, Magic Bees 2.0.0 (All for MC 1.5.2).
Since I make this wiki not only for me, but for everyone, I'd like your input on a feature:
Bees that change during the lifetime of the wiki have an annotation regarding this change. Example is the Natural Bee ("[New 1.5.0.2] Was named Forest Bee in earlier versions. This name clashed with the Forest Bee from Forestry. ")

With this change a bunch of changes over different versions will be rolled into one update. I definetly don't want to check each intermediate release where a certain change happened. How would you like this to be implemented? The Node Bee for example is named differently and bred differently in Magic Bees 2.0.0 compared to Thaumic Bees 1.4.3a. I don't know if this change is new to MB2 or if it was done already in a previous release of even if it had several changes inbetween. So adding something like "[New 2.0.0] Was named Node Bee in earlier versions." would be wrong, if it was renamed already in, say, TB 1.4.7c.

ch_ORANGE

Jul 29, 2019
I think the bee wiki needs to be updated. Some new bees have been added and some mutation combinations have been changed with biome specifications added in as well.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I waited for Binnie to come out of prelease. Since this is the case since a few days, updates should come in the near future.

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
Change of plans:
Since we currently have many users on 1.4.7 and many users on 1.5.2, I took the liberty of using the two different wikis I work at to be in different states. My wiki from this thread stays at 1.4.7 for the foreseeable future, the official FTB Wiki is updated now to 1.5.2.
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Category:BeeKeeping, http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Bee_Mutations or http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Category:Bees are three potential starting points to dig through the bees in the official wiki.

Roachy

Jul 29, 2019
I realize this thread seems long dead, but if anyone's still out there, I'd like to request a spoiler-free list of biome-specific mutations. That is, a list of species which can only be discovered when breeding the mutation's component-species in a specific biome, but without listing those component-species.

i.e.

Code:
Species     Biome(s)
-------------------
Species X   Plains
Species Y   Hell, Desert
Species Z   Forest

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
I realize this thread seems long dead, but if anyone's still out there, I'd like to request a spoiler-free list of biome-specific mutations. That is, a list of species which can only be discovered when breeding the mutation's component-species in a specific biome, but without listing those component-species.

i.e.

Code:
[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][FONT=courier new]Species    Biome(s)[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][FONT=courier new]-------------------[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][FONT=courier new]Species X  Plains[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][FONT=courier new]Species Y  Hell, Desert[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][FONT=courier new]Species Z  Forest[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=courier new][FONT=courier new]
For this to work automagically in the wiki, I'd need to restructure parts of the bee pages, for which I frankly can't muster enough energy at the moment. I can give you a manual list however (Forestry 2.2.8.4, Magic Bees 2.1.1, Extra Bees 1.7.2):
Austere Bee
Can only be bred in a Biome with temperature 190%-200% (hot or hellish) and humidity 0%-10% (arid).
Beefy Bee
Can only be bred in a Plains-like Biome (BiomeDictionary.Type.Plains).
Demonic Bee
Can only be bred in the Nether.
Fiendish Bee
Frugal Bee
Can only be bred in a Biome with temperature 190%-200% (hot or hellish) and humidity 0%-10% (arid).
Glacial Bee
Can only be bred in a Biome with temperature 0%-15% (Icy or Cold).
Hateful Bee
Heroic Bee
Can only be bred in Forest like Biomes (BiomeDictionary contains only Forest).
Icy Bee
Can only be bred in a Biome with temperature 0%-15% (Icy or Cold).
Ocean Bee
Can only be bred in Ocean biome
Porcine Bee
Can only be bred in a Mountain-like Biome (BiomeDictionary.Type.Mountain).
Poultry Bee
Can only be bred in a Forest-like Biome (BiomeDictionary.Type.Forest).
Rural Bee
Can only be bred in Plains like Biomes (BiomeDictionary contains only Plains).
Sinister Bee
Smouldering Bee
Spiteful Bee
Withering Bee

Roachy

Jul 29, 2019
I'm using FTB wiki :) Has all mutations (Forestry, Extra Bees, Magic Bees, Ars Magica) - work perfectly in 1.5.2
http://wiki.feed-the-beast.com/Category:Bees

Yes, but not
spoiler-free

For this to work automagically in the wiki, I'd need to restructure parts of the bee pages, for which I frankly can't muster enough energy at the moment. I can give you a manual list however (Forestry 2.2.8.4, Magic Bees 2.1.1, Extra Bees 1.7.2):

Hey man, that's awesome thanks! So is this guaranteed to be a complete list?

Also I notice the versions you posted are significantly beyond what I'm using, as I'm on Mindcrack 8.3.2 for MC 1.4.7.

Vipersassasin

Jul 29, 2019
Where do you find the Biome Dictionary for bee specific breeding grounds? ie for the Rural bee which Biomes are safe to breed in?