BC pipes help

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

sporemasterjw

Jul 29, 2019
So basically I have an issue. Im setting up a tree farm and Im using a redstone furnace to burn logs into coal to put back in the generators to power the farm to make it fully automatic. The issue i am having is when I hook the restone furnace up it isnt getting filled with logs, but if I fill it myself any logs that are put in it pop out on the ground. So basically I would like to see if anyone has a system of thoughs on how I could automate this to pump wood into the redstone furnace until itsfull, then if its full rather than popping the logs out on the ground recycle them back into the barrel.

yB0qt13.png

w8LEMhi.png

WkRMwVp.png

yotus

Jul 29, 2019
Is your extractor pipe on the barrel working when you activate the redstone engine lever ? Does it extract wood ?

Also, to make sure the extractor is stopped when the furnace is full, you should use the BC gates and the wires

Another thing you could try is putting a hopper under the wood barrel and then putting your redstone furnace under the hopper. With this solution, you shouldn't need the gates and wires.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Your problem lies in using BC pipes for this application. BC pipes are "push" type transportation. Items are being pushed into the pipes with no regard for there being a valid destination for them or not.

There are in general 3 ways to fix this:
1: Use a "pull" type transportation which pulls items out of inventories when there are room/need for them(Like Itemducts etc.)
2: Use push type transportation which does not spill items but simply stops once all destinations are full(like Hoppers).
3: Use some sort of automation to detect when there is a need for the BC pipes to be turned on(this is where the brilliant BC gates comes in). You can put an Iron AND gate on the pipe next to furnace with "No items in inventory->Red pipe signal" and another Iron AND gate on the Wooden Pipe set to "Red Pipe signal ->Redstone signal" which then turns on the Redstone engine. This will result in that whenever the furnace runs out a couple of logs will be pumped up into the furnace.

Reactions: yotus

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Also, picture 1... either power the wooden pipe, or replace with gold pipe (if it will auto-output)

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
Until you get Lasers and assembly table to make gates, there isn't a good way to do what you want really. There are upgrades for the barrels. You could make it so the barrel itself auto outputs directly into the furnace. You have to add the 1st structural upgrade, the hopper upgrade, and then the hopper facade on the side you want it to output from. This would elminate pipes between the barrel and furnace entirely. I would suggest adding a barrel for charcoal so you can build up a buffer since you should make it faster than you use it. You also should not use the High temp furnace generator as it eats fuel way too fast It is the least efficient generator in the game. The normal furnace generator should run a tree farm just fine. If you need more power, you can add a 2nd one. An Ender IO stirling generator would work well too and can be upgraded with capacitors and is also a good choice. Even Thermal expansion generators would be good because you can upgrade a single one with augments. You can make them more efficient or get more power. They make 80 normally but can be upgraded to 160, 320, 640 RF/t if you need the power.

Here are 3 very early game options that don't use BC pipes since you can't keep them from overflowing without gates. i made all 3 of these in under 5 mintues so they are simple.

The 1st on the left uses the hopper upgrades so the barrels automatically output. You need to add the level 1 structural upgrade and 1 hopper upgrade to each barrel. Then plac the hopper facade on the bottom of each one. They do not need to be configured. Just set the furnace to blue on the top and orange on the left.

The middle one shows using a hopper instead of the hopper upgrades on the barrel. It also shows how you can use translocators as well. The furnace is set to blue on the top and orange on the right. A transloactor pulls charcoal from the bottom of the barrel and feed the generator and they can never overflow.

The 3rd is the simplest with the barrel having upgrades like the 1st setup i made and no buffer barrel for charcoal, I wouldn't recommend this though. It is better to make more charcoal than you need and fill a barrel so you can use it to help make power for more than just the tree farm.
YAvTC40.png

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Ok. but wouldnt i need multiple furnaces to keep up with the demand of a 9x9 farm
Guess that might depend on what kind of farm you are using(I cannot actually spot it from the picture) but guessing MFR? If so then one furnace is plenty to keep up with several max sized farms. And supply charcoal for your other needs as well I find it. But not sure of the efficiency of the ExU generators but generally they are (IMO) almost gamebreakingly OP :p

sporemasterjw

Jul 29, 2019
Guess that might depend on what kind of farm you are using(I cannot actually spot it from the picture) but guessing MFR? If so then one furnace is plenty to keep up with several max sized farms. And supply charcoal for your other needs as well I find it. But not sure of the efficiency of the ExU generators but generally they are (IMO) almost gamebreakingly OP :p

I have 1 harverster and 1 planter with a diamond upgrade each. and e survivalist generators and 1 high powered furnace poweing it

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I have 1 harverster and 1 planter with a diamond upgrade each. and e survivalist generators and 1 high powered furnace poweing it
Well have no clue about the efficiency rates of the 1.7 stuff, but ran 2x 11x11 MFR tree farms(part spruce wood and part Ghostwood(Grows really fast)) in the early days of my current TPPI world. Ran it all of a couple TE dynamos fed by charcoal from a single TE furnace. It was idling most the time and I was actually retrieving charcoal from it(Emptied furnace and hopper it was emptying out into) to power my base as well.

Ofc since the harvester uses power per block it harvests, it all depends on size of trees and speed of growth. So depends on the breed of trees you farm and if you employ any growth enhancing techniques.

Last edited:

tedyhere

Jul 29, 2019
I can't even follow that tangle of pipes and I know BC really well. You need some clay insertion pipes hooked to anything you are pumping into and a route for overflow to be taken care of if said inventory is full. Also that can be done alot more effeciently with a cleaner setup.

Reactions: thephoenixlodge

Azzanine

Jul 29, 2019
The iron pipe attached to the green line will not let it flow in a productive manner, whatever is designated to travel down the green line is just going to bounce back assumeing that the clear end is still the end that items are diverted to.
And I guess what ever is coming out on the green line is probably your wood unless I'm missing something.
Also what is that second barrel? One looks like it is supposed to have apples but what's the other? Is it your wood?

sporemasterjw

Jul 29, 2019
OK I would like to thank everyone for their help in this matter. I was able to use one of the methods shown to me by DriftinFool and simplify my setup. Thanks again for all the help.

w6cdP7M.png

tVzwElk.png

ScottulusMaximus

Jul 29, 2019
Use a clay insertion pipe at the planter and barrel, will stop saplings dropping. Other than that it should work fine, congrats!

sporemasterjw

Jul 29, 2019
UPDATE: Replaced furnace generator with steam dynamo because regular furnace wasnt keeping up. Works great now :)