Base Idea

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I'm about to start a new Monster + Gregtech and ArsMagica 2 world and I can't figure out what kind of base to make. I want a base with at least rooms for a large machine room(gregtech machines sometimes need multiblocks), a magic room for ars alters and thaumcraft infusion altar, a mass storage room that I can fill with things like deep storage units for my AE system to use(this room isn't that important), an auto crafting/ automation room, and a power generation room, anyone have a good idea?

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
A "magic tower" allows expansion while fitting in with the theme. Plus, it's best if you place your node recharging pedestal and nodes on the same axis, but just at a different y-level, as your Infusion Alter. The nodes help with stability.

As for the other buildings, I try to stick with a theme that matches the use and group buildings my purpose/use. For instance, your storage should likely be central, since everything uses that, but neither Ars nor TC4 use power, so you don't need to put power next to your magic stuff. However, if you're into bees, trees, and crops, those can be somewhat magical, so they fit next to your magic stuff.

And, GT and machines need lots of power and they require/produce stuff, so items/logistics on one side of machines and power on the other.

As for materials, an idea would be to build each type of building out of a different material and/or in a different shape. Every function should have a different look/feel. For the love of god, please don't do 9x9x9 cobblestones.

Just some general ideas.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
K thanks, I've never built a real building in modded, but i'll try it, I normally just dig a hole in the ground and yes I love bees

DanteGalileo

Jul 29, 2019
I've never played Skyrim though,

Shame on you. ;)

Seriously, though. Take inspiration from wherever. I've used places I've been like Montezuma's Castle, Jerome and Arcosanti (all in Arizona) the Hearst Mansion and that weird house, the name escapes me, with stairways and doors leading nowhere (both in California) places in Italy, etc...

One of my next couple ones is going to be loosely based on Fort Salma (Guild Wars 2).

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
I've always been partial to a 2chunk x 2 chunk (or 3x3 if I'm feeling crazy) hole, dug down to bedrock, and then filled in layer by later. I usually put multifarms on the bottom layer, my power plant right above that (unless I'm using primarily solar), then a layer of alvearies, followed by a layer or two of automated machines/production lines that basically are either "set and forget" or are hooked up for ME crafting. Above that, it depends on what I'm focusing on (whether there's a missile command center or a thaum room, etc.) but ultimately, I like to finish off by paving over the top to make it look like the surrounding land (effectively "hiding" the bulk of my base), and then just have a narrow access shaft or elevator rail or teleporter that hooks up to my surface structure, which is then the wizard tower or castle or mansion or village that I want for aesthetic purposes.

AlwaysGoofingOff

Jul 29, 2019
I've always been partial to a 2chunk x 2 chunk (or 3x3 if I'm feeling crazy) hole, dug down to bedrock, and then filled in layer by later.

I'd like to try this. How large (y-axis) are your floors? In other words, are your layers 4 blocks apart, 10, 20? I figure I'll start on this right after I complete a quarry.

Do you hide the wiring in the walls? Are your "floors" a single block thick or 2-3 blocks so you can hide pipes/wiring inside?

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
I'd like to try this. How large (y-axis) are your floors? In other words, are your layers 4 blocks apart, 10, 20? I figure I'll start on this right after I complete a quarry.

Do you hide the wiring in the walls? Are your "floors" a single block thick or 2-3 blocks so you can hide pipes/wiring inside?

The floor height varies by what I plan on putting into the floor, but also it depends on what the "top" level is - if I dug down in an already tall biome, vs one that's under the ocean, there's a different total number of y-levels to work with. The narrowest I ever go, however, is 4 or 5. When you're looking across a 4 or 9 square chunk of room, it looks really weird if the ceiling is too low.

As for wiring, I usually make my floor/ceilings thick enough to allow wiring to go under things without popping out below - 3 or 4 blocks of thickness is usually sufficient. For vertical wiring, my most recent modus operandi has been to create a "spinal column" through the base vertically. In one base, this meant a sort of "access shaft" along the side of the cut out chunks - it was 5x5, and kept all of my ME wires, redstone conduits, and EU cabling. This required that each floor sort of have a "front", as the wires were all grouped along that side. In another one of my bases, one that was a 3x3 chunk hole, I kept the center chunk empty, which allowed both wires to be run through there as well as a nice vertical shaft for powersuit flying.

The main thing I keep in mind as I'm digging out and creating my chunk-fort (that's what I call it) is to space out how many block high each level will be, and how many blocks thick the separating floor will be for each. Since this is usually a project I undertake well after I've established myself in my first hole-in-the-wall, I generally have a nice cache of resources to duplicate necessary systems for the starting period while I'm bouncing back and forth between the starter base and the chunk-fort. Overall, it's a pretty major project, but I suppose no more than any undertaking to re-locate an established base.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
Shame on you. ;)

Seriously, though. Take inspiration from wherever. I've used places I've been like Montezuma's Castle, Jerome and Arcosanti (all in Arizona) the Hearst Mansion and that weird house, the name escapes me, with stairways and doors leading nowhere (both in California) places in Italy, etc...

One of my next couple ones is going to be loosely based on Fort Salma (Guild Wars 2).

"Weird House" == Winchester Mystery House in the San Jose area, Ca. Yes, the firearms Winchesters.

Reactions: DanteGalileo

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I like the idea of a chunk fort, it seems like a 3x3 would be really nice for wiring in the middle, but I prefer wiring through the sides of the walls I would most likely use elevator blocks to get up/down, I will probably try that idea once I get a quarry

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
I've always been partial to a 2chunk x 2 chunk (or 3x3 if I'm feeling crazy) hole, dug down to bedrock, and then filled in layer by later. I usually put multifarms on the bottom layer, my power plant right above that (unless I'm using primarily solar), then a layer of alvearies, followed by a layer or two of automated machines/production lines that basically are either "set and forget" or are hooked up for ME crafting. Above that, it depends on what I'm focusing on (whether there's a missile command center or a thaum room, etc.) but ultimately, I like to finish off by paving over the top to make it look like the surrounding land (effectively "hiding" the bulk of my base), and then just have a narrow access shaft or elevator rail or teleporter that hooks up to my surface structure, which is then the wizard tower or castle or mansion or village that I want for aesthetic purposes.
You have any screenshots btw so I can get a better idea of how you traveled between floors and stuff?

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
If I use the whole building for different stuff idea I would probably try to make a big dome to house my trees and another dome like structure to hold my bees, having different buildings would require a lot of cables and item/fluidducts, very resource intrnsive

Larmonade

Jul 29, 2019
You have any screenshots btw so I can get a better idea of how you traveled between floors and stuff?

Unfortunately, I do not have any screenshots or any worlds with that build - I had a corrupted HD that caused me to lose a lot of stuff. I'm working on something like it now though, so perhaps in a week or so I'll have something to show you? :/ Sorry I can't be of any more help visually, but I can still describe what I had going in perhaps a bit more detail:

I generally leave an open square in the very center of the base - on a 2x2 (chunks) fort, it might be just 6x6 (blocks), but in a 3x3 (chunk) fort, I've gone so far as to leave the entire center chunk unfilled with anything. This allows pretty open access to all floors, assuming you have a means of flight. As a backup, I also (in my most lavish fort) used a bank of IC2 teleporters that sat on the edge of each level of the hole, so that if I had no power-suit power, or if I had somehow died int he overworld and didn't have a means of flight, I could use that. As an even further precaution, I had a mostly hidden "emergency stairs" stairwell that ran down one of the sides of the fort that I could use to travel manually in the event of a complete power blackout (it never happened, but I like to be prepared). I also kept a chest in that stairwell that contained, among other "emergency" things, a basic jetpack.

BreezyTaco

Jul 29, 2019
Unfortunately, I do not have any screenshots or any worlds with that build - I had a corrupted HD that caused me to lose a lot of stuff. I'm working on something like it now though, so perhaps in a week or so I'll have something to show you? :/ Sorry I can't be of any more help visually, but I can still describe what I had going in perhaps a bit more detail:

I generally leave an open square in the very center of the base - on a 2x2 (chunks) fort, it might be just 6x6 (blocks), but in a 3x3 (chunk) fort, I've gone so far as to leave the entire center chunk unfilled with anything. This allows pretty open access to all floors, assuming you have a means of flight. As a backup, I also (in my most lavish fort) used a bank of IC2 teleporters that sat on the edge of each level of the hole, so that if I had no power-suit power, or if I had somehow died int he overworld and didn't have a means of flight, I could use that. As an even further precaution, I had a mostly hidden "emergency stairs" stairwell that ran down one of the sides of the fort that I could use to travel manually in the event of a complete power blackout (it never happened, but I like to be prepared). I also kept a chest in that stairwell that contained, among other "emergency" things, a basic jetpack.
Ok that's cool, not sure if I want to do something like that or a different building for different things, the 3x3 chunk base would need at least one tall space between two floors for tree farms