Azanor presents Thaumcraft 4.1 Research

Succubism

Jul 29, 2019
OH GOD NEW THREAD

GIIIIIIIIIF

funny-gif-sheep-Favim.com-230715.gif

it scares me

Now with that out of the way, Azanor himself has made a video describing the Research changes in Thaumcraft 4.1 as well as other little related changes.

MigukNamja

Jul 29, 2019
"Instead of my usual cryptic and silent teaser videos" - LOL

The aspect scanning cap @ 8 and the diminishing returns *probably* aren't a big deal. I only start getting absurd research points late-game, after I've researched most everything in TC4.

I *do* like being able to pick what you're doing to research next. Very nice.

I also like the easy, "tertiary" research in default mode and the ability toggle to easier for all tertiary and hardmode for all table-based stuff.

As for the mini-game, wow. That's a major overhaul. Not sure if I'll like it better or not than 4.0.5, but it's different, so at least it's something new.

Last edited:

Revemohl

Jul 29, 2019
It seems harder, other than being able to choose what to research or "buy" researches. Hah.
Maybe he wasn't too happy with all the people complaining about how hard moving runes around was.

Reactions: Padfoote

Tristam Izumi

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, so far of watching that video, I like the 4.0 method over the 4.1 method, though I do like the idea of just outright buying the "tertiary" researches.

Reactions: Padfoote

DrowElf

Jul 29, 2019
Interesting but ultimately making things harder. The one thing that will annoy me the most will be the 50 point cap. I like to do all my scanning in the beginning and then never have to do it again. The only reason people complained about research in the past is that they liked instant gratification and wanted to get their items immediately.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
I think it will make repeat run-throughs a lot saner. I like the fact that you don't have to research everything in the mini game each and every time. And being able to copy research allows you to help out a friend without selling every research server wide. I can't wait until it comes out of alpha.

Kik

Jul 29, 2019
I too found the 50 points a bit restrictive. I like to take my thaumcraft in stages. Doing a long bout of scanning as I set up my base before I take up any of the research point spending activities. Thankfully he did include the option to change the cap in the configs ^_^.

darkeshrine

Jul 29, 2019
Just when i was getting sick of doing thaumcraft research over and over again. Suddenly, it's worth doing again.

That easy mode will make it a lot better after i've already done the research. I really hated doing the research on every new world or update.

netmc

Jul 29, 2019
thank god he made it direct research. the ingame still looks like tedium to me. but I'll wait for someones cheat sheet.

By the looks of it, there are no more specific aspects you need to research items. If you have discovered the aspect, it will appear on the research notes. Then, you only have to chain the related aspects from one to the other to tie them all together. There shouldn't be a need for any new cheat sheets, other than what aspects combine for what, and what research is required to unlock other items.

Someone will probably create a related aspect "cheat" sheet, but it won't be any different than what you can gather directly from the thauminomicon. Just in a slightly different format so it is easier to use.

Dodge34

Jul 29, 2019
Somewhere over the rainbow.
I didn't touch any part of Thaumcraft 4 in my current game, since we can't follow tutorials and guides to get all the research I'm done with that awesome mod, hell I can't even scan a grass block or wood with that stupid thing, it was fun in Thaumcraft 3 but not anymore, having to solve puzzles and use logic isn't my cup of tea, I've done all the Thaumcraft 3 Research once and not being able to cheat them back in Thaumcraft 4 is killing me, I miss all the cool tools and awesomeness offered by them and I saw DW20 do awesome stuff, but if I have to do all the research to get the stuff, I'm done with that mod, its starting to become like the Gregtech mod of Magic...

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't touch any part of Thaumcraft 4 in my current game, since we can't follow tutorials and guides to get all the research I'm done with that awesome mod, hell I can't even scan a grass block or wood with that stupid thing, it was fun in Thaumcraft 3 but not anymore, having to solve puzzles and use logic isn't my cup of tea, I've done all the Thaumcraft 3 Research once and not being able to cheat them back in Thaumcraft 4 is killing me, I miss all the cool tools and awesomeness offered by them and I saw DW20 do awesome stuff, but if I have to do all the research to get the stuff, I'm done with that mod, its starting to become like the Gregtech mod of Magic...
Woah, "we can't follow tutorials and guides"? Succubism has one of THE best guides out there, worthy enough to be sticky'd and which got her into the wiki team. Also, it's really easy to follow her guide and get everything that you want. In the ftbwiki as well, there's a list of what primal aspects make up what compound aspects so it should be easy to build your way up to a grass block or piece of wood. I understand if you hate solving puzzles and logic things, but there are perfectly good guides out there to help you get started. Also, the cheat book of the Thaumonomicon still exists. Just set it to true in the configs, and you can have everything available.

Zenthon_127

Jul 29, 2019
Someone will probably create a related aspect "cheat" sheet, but it won't be any different than what you can gather directly from the thauminomicon. Just in a slightly different format so it is easier to use.
I bet it's the same as current or extremely similar so Succubism won't have nearly as much work to do. My thoughts:
-The new advanced one is going to be annoying as hell. But...
-Selectable research, so no more mass filler. BEST BUFF 2014. I am now starting Thaumcraft when this comes out. There are literally no words to describe how good this is.
-Quick research on easy or non-key items. Also reduces filler, so even better.
-The point nerfs are certainly "Ew" Tier. I can understand the point limit (20 Alienis on ANYTHING is silly) but a point cap is stupid. Just no to that.
-Configs are nice, but the default seems fine.

Overall there's only one thing I can say is really bad (point cap) and even that isn't bad enough to muffle the selectable research buff.

Hoff

Tech Support
Oct 30, 2012
Woah, "we can't follow tutorials and guides"? Succubism has one of THE best guides out there, worthy enough to be sticky'd and which got her into the wiki team. Also, it's really easy to follow her guide and get everything that you want. In the ftbwiki as well, there's a list of what primal aspects make up what compound aspects so it should be easy to build your way up to a grass block or piece of wood. I understand if you hate solving puzzles and logic things, but there are perfectly good guides out there to help you get started. Also, the cheat book of the Thaumonomicon still exists. Just set it to true in the configs, and you can have everything available.

I think he meant that you can't just follow a guide directly as basically easy mode since some of us think research is stupid and should die.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
My 2c is I quite like how less random guessing it is

It's actually a mental problem rather than just guessing, then shifting things about.

I Like this change

Reactions: MigukNamja

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Woah.
The aspect caps do seem harsh, but in the context of the current minigame where research cannot be directed. I suspect that the caps are actually exceedingly generous, allowing you to complete research "in the field".

The previous research game was annoying as there was no real puzzle aspect to it, just massive ink consumption moving runes out the way. Without advanced research you would use 3 points of each involved aspect, and with advanced research, 2 or even 1. (did people really activate and deactivate aspects multiple times per research?).

Anyway - this feels more like a real minigame as there is an actual thought component. My only problem with it is, as many have commented, I have the memory of a goldfish so I would (a) really like it if know aspects that have a zero count were greyed out, and (b) aspects had a tooltip that showed their composition - or quick access to the a+b=c page(s) from the thaumanomicon needs to be added TO the research table for reference.

The ability to copy a completed is nice but means I need to *know* i want a copy at original research time. If a friend later joins a server I would have to have already cached copies "just-in-case".

Reactions: unknown zombie

Skyqula

Jul 29, 2019
Aspect cap bleh, forces you to do research at a certain point instead of when you want to ==> bad design.

The new minigame, if even the creator has problems doing simple research quickly I think its obvious whats going to happen. Back and forth listing of primals/secondary's.

Ill be going with easy research. Get the aspects it needs, combine if needed and be done with it. Most importantly, I could just take my thaumonomicon and spend research points when I reach that drop off point of 50 without needing the run back to my research table. 3 cheers for this option :)