Automating quest ram...

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Dreossk

Jul 29, 2019
Get 16 sheeps, color them one of each color and shear them with turtles. It doesn't take long to full a chest of colored wool.

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, that's the problem, but i need to use one wool of each color every 30 seconds, so the system will have to keep up.

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Going with the add more sheep route. Still balancing out the numbers for each color. It's going to be a lag monster, but it'll work.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
Could you post some screenshots when you're done? I really want to see this thing in action.

Edit: If you had a dye factory then you'd just need to supply wool, but that's even harder to set up.

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Screenshots: will do. The trouble with a dye factory is that the inputs aren't easily renewable. Finished the sheep portion, working on the ram farming bit now...

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
Some "proof of concept" screenshots. Still need to fix some things, but... it works.

Attachments

• 2013-05-05_15.12.08.png
    2013-05-05_15.12.08.png
    575.6 KB · Views: 403
  • 2013-05-05_15.12.19.png
    2013-05-05_15.12.19.png
    298 KB · Views: 378
  • 2013-05-05_15.17.09.png
    2013-05-05_15.17.09.png
    134.3 KB · Views: 371

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Oh for the love of...

Transposer with Shears over every different colored sheep, running through redstone tubing to a chest. Pulse pulls precisely one of each colored wool out via Filters plus shears the sheep again, give yourself a one-minute pulse timer and you should be good to go.

Besides, you're now cranking out everything valuable by the block every minute... do you really need anything more? Congratulations, you've beaten MassFab for infinite supplies. Have a nice day.

Chaosoul

Jul 29, 2019
Oh for the love of...

Transposer with Shears over every different colored sheep, running through redstone tubing to a chest. Pulse pulls precisely one of each colored wool out via Filters plus shears the sheep again, give yourself a one-minute pulse timer and you should be good to go.

Besides, you're now cranking out everything valuable by the block every minute... do you really need anything more? Congratulations, you've beaten MassFab for infinite supplies. Have a nice day.
Firstly, transposers with shears? Do you mean deployers? Secondly, I don't think it'll shear every sheep. Just one. You would have to pulse 16 times. Also he has said he wants enough for feeding one every 30 seconds.

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Firstly, transposers with shears? Do you mean deployers? Secondly, I don't think it'll shear every sheep. Just one. You would have to pulse 16 times. Also he has said he wants enough for feeding one every 30 seconds.
Sixteen deployers with sixteen shears shearing sixteen sheep, one each of a different color. Run a redstone tube down the middle, and every single deployer pulses on the same tic.

Half a minute might work, but it might not. A minute pulse will work. Ask any engineer about the decision between what should work and what will work, and which plan to put in action. Besides, half of an infinite amount of resources is still an infinite amount of resources. It'll still crank out anything important faster than any half dozen mining operations currently developed.

You want better? Go play Creative.

Martok

Jul 29, 2019
Why not use the coloured bees from ExtraBees mod? Much easier to automate a 16 apiaries or alvearies, I think, than 1 bunch of shear stations. Use string from a cattail farm to make wool, then distribute it to some autocrafting tables containing the dyes.

Easy to automate using BC pipes, and I'm sure other methods as well, and less entities to worry about.

Reactions: jpbirdsgong

Chaosoul

Jul 29, 2019
Sixteen deployers with sixteen shears shearing sixteen sheep, one each of a different color. Run a redstone tube down the middle, and every single deployer pulses on the same tic.

Half a minute might work, but it might not. A minute pulse will work. Ask any engineer about the decision between what should work and what will work, and which plan to put in action. Besides, half of an infinite amount of resources is still an infinite amount of resources. It'll still crank out anything important faster than any half dozen mining operations currently developed.

You want better? Go play Creative.
Ah sorry I read that first part incorrectly. As for the second part no need to get so aggressive. Also why would you not want maximize your profit? That's like saying you should only get resources manually. Well if you want better play creative. Really that doesn't really make sense. Why make more than one solar panel? A 1/infinity of infinite energy is still infinite. You want better play creative. That's basically what you're saying.

Silent_007

Jul 29, 2019
Shears in deployers would work great too - you'll just have to replace the shears eventually I believe. Meh.

As for the usefulness of the system overall:
Is it overkill? Yeah.
Is that a reason not to do it? I don't understand the question...

Reactions: jpbirdsgong

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
Ah sorry I read that first part incorrectly. As for the second part no need to get so aggressive. Also why would you not want maximize your profit? That's like saying you should only get resources manually. Well if you want better play creative. Really that doesn't really make sense. Why make more than one solar panel? A 1/infinity of infinite energy is still infinite. You want better play creative. That's basically what you're saying.
Strawmen... nope, not interested in fighting them. Also, disparalell symbolism.

You are talking about getting a block of diamond, gold, lapis, and other sundries. PER MINUTE. That's a diamond every 6-2/3's a second. Do you really NEED more than that?

This isn't 'one solar panel', this is a battery of HV Solar Arrays. Without GregTech.

Jess887cp

Jul 29, 2019
*attempts to hide iron golem to diamonds farm*

Heh...hey guys!

For me (and probably OP) the game isn't about what's needed, it's about what's possible. So if he can pump out the blocks of stuff and make a castle out of it, good for him.

jpbirdsgong

Jul 29, 2019
People seem to be forgetting that wool has to regrow, which requires grass. Anyway, the MFR breeding works fine. Finished the collection mechanism and set up level emitters and AND gates to turn off the Q-Ram spawner if a single color of wool drops below a threshold (to allow the system to get caught up without wasting wool).

It's been running for about an hour and it's made 25 of each of the reward blocks. Slower than I'd hoped. But, it should be easy to scale: I'll just need to have more than one pair of parents of each wool color.

The lag from the baby sheep is the biggest problem; MFR has a machine to grow them up quickly using growth syringes, the recipe for which requires golden carrots. Doable, because my source of wheat--a kobold spawner--is also a source of gold nuggets.

Soon I'll have enough diamond and emerald blocks to use them exclusively for building. More screenshots soon.