Automatic Hardened Glass with Tinker Smeltery

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Sourivore

Jul 29, 2019
Hello,

Is there a way to automate Hardened Glass with Tinker Smeltery ?
Hardened Glass is crafted with an obsidian in a casting bassin and 1/2 ingot of lead in a smeltery.
I have no problem on how to put or get liquid/items in the smeltery/casting bassin but my problem is that when I ask my AE2 system to craft a Hardened Glass,it exports Obsidian and Lead in a chest that is after inserted into smeltery with EnderIO conducts BUT lead is inserted in my casting bassing even if my Obsidian is not in my casting bassin yet.
What I want is that liquids in the smeltery are exported only if there is an item in my casting bassin.
Comparator from Vanilla or RedPower don't detect there is an item in the casting bassin.
A solution may be SFM but I don't want to see all that inventory cables and I want it discreet.

Typically with Hardened Glass my pattern is 1 Lead with 2 Obsidian gives 2 Hardened Glass.
Lead is smelted in the smeltery. In the same time Obsidian is inserted in my casting bassin.
Then liquid lead is poured in the casting bassin. Hardened Glass is imported in my AE2 system.
Then liquid lead is poured in my casting bassin before the second Obsidian is inserted. Then my system is stuck.
It is worse when my obsidian needs to be crafted or is missing. Lead go to the casting bassin before the first obsidian is.

Thanks a lot if you have an idea.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Pretty easily :)
Have an interface going into a chest with the crafting pattern using 1 lead + 2 obsidian = 2 hardened glass
Then have 2 filtered conduits (of your choice) pulling out of the chest, 1 that pulls lead, the other pulls obsidian.
The obsidian conduit leading to the basin, the lead leading to the smeltery.

Then we are on to automating the smeltery... Now this I am less sure on, but if I am correct SHOULD work.
Steves factory manager, redstone emitter next to the faucet, and inventory cable next to the basin.
Have SFM check if the basin contains obsidian, if true, pour activate the redstone emitter. If false, no redstone signal. When a faucet recieves a redstone pulse it will pour... and if the signal stays on it will keep pouring until it is done. And won't pour again until the redstone signal is activated again.

Reactions: pizzawolf14

malicious_bloke

Over-Achiever
Jul 28, 2013
My usual answer to this would revolve around the usual "stick a comparator on the thingy and use the redstone signal to tell the other thingy to do the thing" method, but I don't think casting basins give a signal like a normal inventory.

I could be wrong though...

Sourivore

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the answer jordsta95.
But as I said, I want to avoid SFM because there is no way to hide this horrible inventory cables that need to be close to the casting bassin/smeltery controller/smeltery drain and I hate to see cables.
AE2 cables can be hide by facades with the assembly tables, enderio conduits by facades with the painting machine but the inventory cables it is very difficult and ugly.

Typically, I can't have an enderio conduit under the drain to pour the liquid and an inventory cable. So I have to place it next that is not nice.

And to answer to malicious_bloke, tested in creative mode, casting bassin don't give a signal even with comparator in RedPower2.

All other solutions are welcome.

PS : I don't hate SFM, I use it for my AE2 inscribers and charger but I don't like how hard it is to hide the cables.

ThTs

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a specific reason you want to do that using a smeltery? Automation of Hardened Glass production using an Induction Smelter is pretty easy.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
AE2 level emitters might help here if you are willing to make a rube goldberg machine. Principally you need to have an AE2 subnetwork that is attached to an interface that tries to export obsidian into the hardened glass network. A level emitter configured to detect obsidian will emit a redstone signal that you will use to disable the importing of obsidian. So you should have exactly ONE piece of obsidian in your AE sub network. An export bus will then be configured to export obsidian into the casting basin. The level emitter will go low, so a timer will be needed to continue inhibiting obsidian for a while. The level emitter going low also detects that the obsidian that WAS in the network MUST be in the casting basin, so another latch will then turn on the flow of lead.
An import bus will extract the glass when finished, and another level emitter can detect the presence of that in the AE network and reset all the latches to their ready to craft state (with the flow of lead turned off). There might be a quantity of lead accidentally poured into the basin, so you'll need to have a duct set up to extract that.
hmmm.
Rube will be proud.

Sourivore

Jul 29, 2019
Nice Chris Becke but it is huge and cause frequent update. Furthermore, I don't want to craft only hardened glass but other items with casting bassin too (tesseract, energy cells...). So one level emitter for each item it is huge.
Thanks a lot Eldiwoodio I will see for that camouflage.
And I don't use induction smelter because it needs obsidian dusts then an addiitional operation. Furthermore, the problem is the same with tesseracts which have to be created this way.

Bad news , I just try in creative mode with SFM and when obsidian is in the casting bassin the condition in the manager is false. When I switch with a chest it is true...
I will try with Create Liquid Input/output so operations are sequential, maybe it will works.

Edit : Second test : storage bus don't work with casting bassin

Precision : My ModPack is FTB Infinity :)

Last edited:

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
I would try computercraft. Have it push obsidian from the chest, wait a moment, then trigger the spout. I'd also tap it into the controller so it could run only when the smeltery has fluid lead in it.

Sourivore

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't think about Computercraft. I will try this :)
And hoppers don't guarantee that lead is not poured after obsidian :)

Daniel_USA

Jul 29, 2019
Try using a buildcraft cobble structure pipe with a "Gate" on it. When placed next to any object it will automatically detect if it has an inventory. You can then specify if you want it to send a redstone signal when the container has an item, when it is half full, or when it is full.

With this you can automate the placing of obsidian and pulsing of the faucet.
1: Place pipe and gate adjacent to basin
2: Set settings on gate to give off a redstone signal on inventory full
3: Use Rednet cables or redstone conduits to send a signal from the gate to the faucet (if it doesn't work set signal to "Strong")

You will have to automate lead into the smelter but it will stop pouring fluids once there is no obsidian.

KingTriaxx

Forum Addict
Jul 27, 2013
Michigan
Forgot about BC Gates. I don't know that they can detect the inventory status of the basin. However, you could use an autarchic and a basic gate with a timer, to run the system. Have a wooden pipe between a chest and the basin, with an autarchic gate on it. Set it pulse once if there's obsidian in the inventory of the chest, and send a red pipe signal up to the gate on the structure pipe. That gate takes the red pipe signal and starts the timer. Work out how long the Obsidian takes to move from the chest to the basin, and then set the timer for that long. At the end of the timer, it gives a redstone signal to pour in the lead.

If there's going to be something besides obsidian in the chest, use an emerald pipe instead of a wooden one so you can filter the output.

rouge_bare

Oct 4, 2014
If you do use BC gates, Gold and higher Gates can specify specific items to look for in an inventory.

Cpt_gloval

Oct 20, 2013
You can build a 1x1 internal smeltery put an export bus on the controller to insert lead 1 ingot at a time. Then export obsidian to the casting Basin and import glass with a level emitter to keep say 20 or 50 on hand and walk away.

Should be small enough to sink in a wall somewhere with a lava source to the tank and forget about it.

Sourivore

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks a lot for all the answer.
BC gates does not recognize casting bassin as an inventory.
But I just found a solution !
With SFM for each trigger I :
- Put an obsidian in the CB
- Pour 72ml of Lead in the CB (with the Input/Output liquid)
- Export Hardened Glass to the chest with an import bus
- Empty casting bassin to the smeltery (with the Input/Output liquid) because sometime some liquid go to the bassin before the next trigger step

Hope this could help somebody. There would be no problem if casting bassin was considered like a normal inventory though...