Aura Cascade - Feedback and discussion

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the returns you have to live with if you want speed. I tried to double the input speed of the entire system, but did only get down to around 3 seconds, so I settled for my current setup.

The system is much easier than you might think, however it took me a while to reach this point:
(this is the full setup, feel free to scale it down accordingly)

- Put a normal aura node next to each side of the synthesizer and one on top. This is where your power comes in.
- Put red aura in each of those nodes. The one in the middle gets 40000 and the others get 20000.
- Put a capacitor five blocks above the middle node and leave it at a threshold of 1000
- Put a solid block 10 blocks above the synthesizer (so another 4 blocks above the previously placed capacitor)
- Put a capacitor on threshold 1000 to each side of that block, so they connect with exactly one node to the sides of the synthesizer

That is all there is to it concerning aura nodes. You now just have to precisely set off TNT blasts at the rate you want and the system is running. In my setup I have it set so every second all five nodes get powered at the same time, so it uses 5 TNT per second, so pretty hefty price there.

What makes this all work is, that normally the aura capacitors have a short cooldown period where they can't accept any aura. However this seems to not be the case for aura coming from below. For normal aura pumps this isn't a problem because they won't accept aura from above. Also the capcacitor always bursts no matter if it is in cooldown or not, as long as there is enough aura in it. So in this two node system the aura is traveling up and down every second without any cooldown or something like that, producing as much power as you theoretically want.

In total I would consider this an unintended behavior, but for the moment it works if you can give it the amount of TNT required. Later today I can post a few screenshots to show the exact setup of the TNT explosions, this probably took the longest for me to get right because there seems to be a little bit of directional bias happening. The most reliable spot seems to be three blocks away and one block down from every node. For the middle one it's a little bit more complicated, so better to show it later, but you can figure that out by yourself (maximum distance of the blast can be 3 blocks).

pixlepix

Jul 29, 2019
No unintentional behavior there (just a shitload of fuel) though I wonder how much the capacitors are gaining you. Good work1

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, nice to know. I quickly tested a version with a normal aura node above and with the same amount of red aura in the node (20000 for a 10 block elevation) it will generate 40000 power per second (instead of 200000 with the capacitor). If I increase the total amount of red aura from 20000 to 111000 it would also produce the maximum 200000 power for each TNT blast.

And as promised, here is a link to a few screenshots showing how I set up my system. I hope everything is visible and understandable. https://imgur.com/a/yG3F6

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Thats impressive ... I'll probably be mimicking that for my world.
Though the pet project I have been working on is to create a system that can produce angel steel passively. Right now I have a passive violet setup that can produce 1 angel steel every 30 minutes or so.

Question:
Can a flow be induced into orange aura by other aura's?
Like using the tnt trick with red aura to create a flow in orange aura to then move other colors?

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks, I haven't played around with violet aura much, but I'm interested to learn more about it.

The purpose of orange aura is to induce the flow and generating a flow in orange aura itself is pretty easy: Orange Aura Manipulators. Forget that orange aura crystals exist, you don't want orange aura in your energy producing nodes. If you want to induce a flow, set up two orange aura manipulators apart from your normal system and give a redstone signal to the "source" node. It will then generate a lot of orange aura (that is probably useless for the rest of your system) "for free" and send it to the manipulator without a signal, where it gets destroyed. The source aura manipulator simply needs to be within two blocks of the normal aura node that you want to influence, so be careful were to put the node. Also make sure it doesn't connect to any other node, so it doesn't interfere with the aura flow by counting as a connected node. The target aura manipulator of course needs to be in the direction you want to send the other aura. From what I can tell, it doesn't actually matter, where this target aura manipulator is, the only thing that is important is the direction. Here are a few pictures to illustrate what I mean and maybe this is helpful to further optimize your system (and also a few more example systems in there, but they are not optimized at all): https://imgur.com/a/u4BMV

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I was hoping I would be able to make a red aura loop powered with tnt and use that to create a flow of orange to then act as a pump for violet aura. The reason being that other pumps can't keep up with my violet generation in my passive generator. In about an hour of run time I have 4 million + violet aura sitting at the bottom of my passive setup, and it takes too many regular pumps to realistically get all of that back up to the top.

You are using the horizons pack right, if so do you know if a node will keep its aura if picked up with the teleposer sigil from sanguimancy?

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Ah, I understand, however I don't know of any way to get around using pumps in that configuration. Red Aura is the only aura that can travel upwards without pumps (disregarding black aura).

Yes, I'm on Horizons and yes, you can pick them up with the sigil without losing aura. The cardboard boxes from Mekanism work as well ... without the annoying lightning :)

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I might just do that every now and then instead of trying to automate it. Also I have an idea for a tnt factory to fuel your setup, I can post pictures of it later today.

Last edited:

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
That is a very interesting idea you had there ... I quickly tested it out and it seems to work perfectly fine ... Teleposers from Blood Magic ... instead of a pump you put a normal node there, put a teleposer under that node and the one you would pump the aura into and activate them every once in a while and I can see a very powerful system there. The only thing to test out would be the reconnect time of the nodes (if that even matters) ... I think it's worth more testing :)

A high power TNT farm would be interesting, so far I have been to lazy to build one and instead simply use the Simple Condensers and EE3 to convert all the drops I collect from my farms. I also needed to add in a few compressed cobblestone generators just to keep up, so a TNT farm would need to be really high powered.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
My plan is to use soul shards for spawning creepers, sanguimancy drill of the dead to kill them, vanilla sand generator, 1+ autocrafters to make the tnt depending on speed.
Basic summary:

Tnt Factory:
need 5 tnt per second
20 sand
25 gunpowder per second

50 gunpowder two seconds / 1 drop per creeper
50 creepers every 2 seconds / 6 creepers every 2 seconds per max shard
9 max shards
1 drill of the dead ritual with an altar
1 advanced item collector set to gunpowder
ender chest
1 advanced item collector set to notGunpowder
trashcan

1 advanced item collector set to sand
ender chest

ender chest
auto crafter set to tnt

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Okay, interesting to see the math, 9 soul shards is a lot, I currently have 2 creeper shards and it didn't keep up at all, so I switched to the EE3 route. I wanted to try the Mekanism way of generating the gunpowder, but haven't started yet. It seems like a nice way to actually use some of the power the fusion reactor is giving me.

The idea with transposing the nodes or picking them up with the sigil or cardboard box is not working, it seems there is a safety mechanism so that you can't set them down at a higher y-level. Previously I only tested it on the same y-level and it works there. So, back to the pumps it is, but nice to know.

I played around a bit more and looked at the grower, this thing has become very cool. I have it powered by two projectile pumps for a constant 2000 power per second and am growing the ender lily seed on top of an ender core. It gets harvested and replanted by a planter from Progressive Automation and produces an ender pearl around every 2 seconds, as well as additional ender lily seeds. This is a very cheap way of getting a lot of ender pearls fairly early on in the game, I like it. And the ender lily seeds have a pretty high EMC value as well in Horizons, so that is always a nice bonus.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
We have done a decent amount with soul shards already and I have the enchantment that gives more souls per kill along with a cursed earth summoning area, so it isn't too hard to get a lot of creeper souls. But that is kind of disappointing that the transposers wont work.

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the soul shards are not too hard to get (if you don't know, the drill of the dead on a cursed earth spawner does all that for you, as long as your online and the shard is in your hotbar), I was thinking more about lag. Maybe it's no problem, I don't know, definitely worth a try, can't be more laggy than mekanism would be :)

I don't know about the transposers, that would have been a little too easy for my taste, so I'm somehow glad it doesn't work.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't know about the drill doing it for you, but I tested out with 9 soul shard spawners in creative and I think it might need 10 to be reliable. But the drill kills them all in 1 tick so there isn't much time for lag, especially with the collector because that doesn't have a time delay to pick things up.

As for the transposers I kind of agree. But it would be nice for early things if you could move a node and it would keep at most 2000 aura or something.

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Guess that sand exploit got fixed, do you know of any decent way to generate sand, hopefully more reliably than botania?

UberAffe

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, the soul shards are not too hard to get (if you don't know, the drill of the dead on a cursed earth spawner does all that for you, as long as your online and the shard is in your hotbar), I was thinking more about lag. Maybe it's no problem, I don't know, definitely worth a try, can't be more laggy than mekanism would be :)

I don't know about the transposers, that would have been a little too easy for my taste, so I'm somehow glad it doesn't work.

so I got the tnt factory to work. it makes about 7 tnt every second. My friend and I will be doing a world tour sometime soon and we will be showing off the tnt factory along with your aura cascade design.

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Very cool, let me know further details. For sand generation there are not too many options. Immersive Engineering maybe, but I haven't played around with it, I would guess the machines are not that fast. So in the end, elite factories from mekanism is probably the fastet way.

I watched a the newest video from nonsanity and his violet aura system is very interesting. I switched around a few things and with a long enough warm up phase, it will get to a point where it generates one angel steel ingot per second. It uses a lot of nodes, but nothing to fuel it. I have to test a few more things to see how powerful this can get, but I like the idea behind the concept.

tommyTT

Jul 29, 2019
Status update on the angel steel production: I reached the point where I had a completely full storage drawer upgraded with the maximum amount of emerald upgrades, so I decided to craft the higher tier ingots. In the end I now have almost 9 stacks of angel steel of the eleventh degree! The system ran for about 6 days in total. Unfortunately there isn't too much use for it (yet), I hope there will be armor in the future.

Lethosos

Jul 29, 2019
I decided to test something with Aura Cascade and Thaumic Infusion's Permutaio effect to swap a pair of nodes--I kinda half-expected it to not work, but was an explosion intended in the first place?