Aura and You: All About Thaumcraft 3 Aura Mechanics

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
Plopped my workshop in a green hills biome between two silverwoods with around 200/300 aura each. It's like a dream, no flux problems or aura problems. Definitely suggest settling next to a natural silverwood.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
I often don't have time to micro manage the server I run. Hence, over the last month or so all the aura was drained from the area around spawn. I built this to keep everything replenished. We get a few bad weather affects, but all the spawning is contained in the "barrow" I built.

Credit to one of our users bereborm for the vid.

Reactions: MFINN23

MFINN23

Jul 29, 2019
I often don't have time to micro manage the server I run. Hence, over the last month or so all the aura was drained from the area around spawn. I built this to keep everything replenished. We get a few bad weather affects, but all the spawning is contained in the "barrow" I built.

badass

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
It was in creative mode. Only about an hour.

I built the chamber below first with the clusters to regen the aura. Then I planted some silverwood's on top of the hill and got a 200-300 aura node. From there I planted silverwoods around the top of the hill, gave em a whack with the hoe of growth then use world edit to delete the trees. Rinse and repeat leaving enough time for the node to regenerate so it doesn't downsize.

Without spawning in the silverwood saplings it would take ages to find enough, but it should be possible.

khorozm

Jul 29, 2019
just a quick question, i just added Thaumcraft back to my pack
But I won't dig straight into it now because I am doing my fusion reactor project
will the world collapse or something if I leave Thaumcraft there? I heard that it would if it was Thaumcraft 2

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
It will not. And you are correct, there was a chance the world would collapse in TC2.
There are some places where the aura might be 'tainted'(unstable and dark nodes) so if you happen to live by one of them you might get some hostile wisps spawning, but it won't spread.

nethervvoid

Jul 29, 2019

My god. It's full of stars.

Reactions: ApSciLiara

Someguy123

Jul 29, 2019
Quick update on my project:

We have 24 of the planned 100-120 ring nodes in place with 3 clusters on each of them (they will each have 5 when done) and, based on my tests in a superflat test world, producing 82 infusion events per hour. Or put another way, producing 820 new vis per hour. No idea if this is linear, but I will try to keep you guys updated as I continue to test and we continue to build towards our goal (assuming anyone is even interested in this info).

Anyways, if it is linear we are at 24% of our minimum node target and 14.4% of our clusters target. So theoretically we should be creating something like 5700 vis an hour (assuming there is dull stone available to infuse) once we are done with our setup. But this number is HIGHLY speculative as I am not even sure how much additional clusters impact the vis production rate on a given node yet.

Anyways, that's it for now.

Evil Hamster

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah that'll work for the first tree. But after the first try the node will move till half way between its old position and the tree, which invalidates the position of the other three saplings. So you may want to babysit it and take down the other three saplings once the first grows.

Killing wisps doesn't actually lower flux, spawning wisps does. What happens after spawning is irrelevant. Though killing them is a good way to get aspects ;)
Overcharging constantly increases flux, you may want to put those crystals away until after you're done growing the trees.

Actually, all 4 trees grew and created new nodes, but none of them combined or moved. I updated thaumcraft to the version in the current mindcrack pack (and forge and MC 1.4.7) and on next game load, they all merged. I've gotten the node up to 488 currently, almost halfway! Now that it's bigger in size, I can see it taking/giving vis to the natural nodes at the bottom of my void age. I'll have to build a few more crystal clusters to charge it up faster though as there's no infused stone for it to take from.[DOUBLEPOST=1360979579][/DOUBLEPOST]

I was aiming for 1000, but seeing this, I think I'll keep going beyond that!

Damn, that means more silverwood sapling hunting..

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You know, once your node is big enough it might make sense to start yanking other nodes to yours rather than using more saplings. The trait of the biggest maximum node wins; I've successfully merged a small (150ish vis max) node into my pure node (at the time at 200ish) and kept the pure trait.

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
You know, once your node is big enough it might make sense to start yanking other nodes to yours rather than using more saplings. The trait of the biggest maximum node wins; I've successfully merged a small (150ish vis max) node into my pure node (at the time at 200ish) and kept the pure trait.
If you were doing this in survival I would completely agree. Dragging regular nodes would be more effective than hunting down more silverwoods. However, if your doing it in creative, the sapling approach works much faster.

demchrome

Jul 29, 2019
anyone know why would a 700+ vis pure node disappear? i merged 2 naturally spawned pure nodes together (moved them with silver tree sapplings). and then after merging i planted another silverwood tree and the big node disappeared. The small one stayed in the tree so they did not merged. That took quite some time and i was about to merge a near by normal node of 500+ vis :/

Watchful11

Forum Addict
Team Member
Third Party Pack Admin
Nov 6, 2012
There are often visual glitches with nodes merging. Try reloging.

demchrome

Jul 29, 2019
nope it's gone, probably a bug of sorts. Restarted the server, unloaded the area, planted more silverwood sapplings and just the small one grows :(

Korenn

Jul 29, 2019
nope it's gone, probably a bug of sorts. Restarted the server, unloaded the area, planted more silverwood sapplings and just the small one grows :(
how quickly after merging your two big ones did you grow the silverwood? if it was immediately or you had otherwise drained your node, you could have had a reverse merge instead.

demchrome

Jul 29, 2019
I'm sure it was full but it had a moderate flux level. The thing is that the the new small node was not moved at all it spawned in the treetrunk and i found it right there. Sappling was planted 6 or 8 blocks away from the big node.

Keridos

Jul 29, 2019
Does a overcharged aura (ours is currently on 3012) generate new infused ore out of normal stone? And where does the stone need to be, does it need to be under y level 64?

MilConDoin

Jul 29, 2019
IIRC your nodes can be overcharged by a maximum of 10% and new infused ore will be gained if the overcharge is at least at 100, so your node needs to be charged at minimum to 1100/1000. Don't know about the y-level.

Noiro

Jul 29, 2019
I'm going to have to disagree with you when you say vis requests are based on max size, not actual size. I have seen on many occasions that my supernode (1014) will request from smaller nodes if its level is below their current level. Also, since you mentioned to 10 vis drain to recharge ore, that explains where I'm at currently. I've had my node chunkloaded a few days and it rechraged the entire area with 8 clusters and 3 capacitators in about 1 night of sleeping. But when it gets about 10-20 over, that 10-20 just disappears. I assume it is still refilling dull shards somewhere. I just want it to start infusing. :D

Another benefit to supernodes is that they have a RIDICULOUS reach from other nodes. My aura's radius of effect in terms of requesting vis or giving vis is so large I have to move a bit in one direction to load the chunks that far out. Considering that they can request from smaller nodes, I know that if I have drained my capacitators (and I've seen it happen), it will pull from 8 different nodes at one time (I will see massive streams of vis coming in), to charge it back. Basically, the node is 1014, but with the combined amount of all those nodes, I have a 3000 vis battery if I'm willing to pay for the flux (and the node is encased so it's not that big of a deal).