Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Guys: can I have two resource packs running simultaneously? Like if I wanted soartex and then some sorta gregtech specific one making all his machines look pretty?

If so, how does priority work?

If not, how can I combine resource packs? Is it as simple as unzipping them, copying one over the other, and re-zipping it?

SinisterBro :3

Jul 29, 2019
Simplest question of me to-date.

Is there a mod that makes normal torches burn out for 1.7.10? My google-fu has failed me once again.

NinjaPig31

Jul 29, 2019
I had a (simple) question about the deep dark ore gen mechanics. Is it doubling the ore density for the vanilla ore gen ore does it double the ore density for the ore gen in the pack. I am playing in the dw20 pack and it does have custom ore gen, so will it double the ore density which found in the overworld or double the vanilla ore density? I want to know if it is worth making the portal. Honestly I am scared to make all those unstable ingots :p.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Guys: can I have two resource packs running simultaneously? Like if I wanted soartex and then some sorta gregtech specific one making all his machines look pretty?

If so, how does priority work?

If not, how can I combine resource packs? Is it as simple as unzipping them, copying one over the other, and re-zipping it?
You can only run one at the time. But it is as simple as copy pasting them together(I dont you even have to unzip, I don't when I do it with winrar as it just recompile when I copy past into the old zip).
Most mods textures use some rather logical folder trees as well so it is rather easy to figure out. And the texture themselves are just .png if you want to edit them.

BarbasTheDog

Jul 29, 2019
Is there a mod that makes normal torches burn out for 1.7.10? My google-fu has failed me once again
Enviromine has that feature IIRC

I had a (simple) question about the deep dark ore gen mechanics. Is it doubling the ore density for the vanilla ore gen ore does it double the ore density for the ore gen in the pack. I am playing in the dw20 pack and it does have custom ore gen, so will it double the ore density which found in the overworld or double the vanilla ore density? I want to know if it is worth making the portal. Honestly I am scared to make all those unstable ingots :p.
I'm pretty sure it's just buffed vanilla generation with support for common materials such as copper and tin. Don't quite me on that though.

Source: I remember at some point someone on a server I played wanted to mine yellorite and the DeepDark was of no use. That was in 1.6 though.

Reactions: SinisterBro :3

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
You can only run one at the time. But it is as simple as copy pasting them together(I dont you even have to unzip, I don't when I do it with winrar as it just recompile when I copy past into the old zip).
Most mods textures use some rather logical folder trees as well so it is rather easy to figure out. And the texture themselves are just .png if you want to edit them.
Honestly I thought the folder structures had to be identical so that the application could find the resources it needs. So a texture for a GT Thermal Centrifuge should always be in the same location. No?

BarbasTheDog

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I thought the folder structures had to be identical so that the application could find the resources it needs. So a texture for a GT Thermal Centrifuge should always be in the same location. No?
Actually, since 1.7, you can have multiple of them.
Just install both of them, open the resourcepack menu and select the priority.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah, I took a very brief look at the interface last night and I thought that might be the case but I didn't see any way to adjust priority. Of course I didn't have two resourcepacks available at the time so that's probably why. I'll play with it tonight, thanks sir.

BarbasTheDog

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah, I took a very brief look at the interface last night and I thought that might be the case but I didn't see any way to adjust priority. Of course I didn't have two resourcepacks available at the time so that's probably why. I'll play with it tonight, thanks sir.
Yeah, If you have more than one resource pack active, when you hover a RP's icon, you'll see a little arrow head pointing up or down - that'll adjust priority.

Reactions: Pyure

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Yeah ofc. But if you take files from one texture pack and copy into another, one would overwrite the other(and thereby have priority) and everything would be ok(Since both texturepacks would be using the proper file locations for the textures to work).

Did not know that, that is cool. Hope it doesn't take extra time to load both texturepacks though. If so I would probably still prefer to manually merge them.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Yeah ofc. But if you take files from one texture pack and copy into another, one would overwrite the other(and thereby have priority) and everything would be ok(Since both texturepacks would be using the proper file locations for the textures to work).
I misunderstood your comment to imply that I'd have to manually ensure files were where they should go. My plan was exactly yours I think, to simply over-write "large, good " pack with "tiny, focused, awesome" pack.

I imagine it will definitely slowdown the startup time somewhat, but I can live with that if it means I don't have to fiddle (quite) as much when resource packs update.

BarbasTheDog

Jul 29, 2019
Did not know that, that is cool. Hope it doesn't take extra time to load both texturepacks though. If so I would probably still prefer to manually merge them
I think it doesn't. When you load a small pack it takes far less time to load than, say, a full vanilla retexture.

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019
It takes the same amount of time if your using a "full retexture" as barbas called it. The way it works is the first RP has priority and any textures that it doesn't change the second one changes those. Same for the third, forth, fifth, etc.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
It takes the same amount of time if your using a "full retexture" as barbas called it. The way it works is the first RP has priority and any textures that it doesn't change the second one changes those. Same for the third, forth, fifth, etc.
Took me a sec to wrap my head around that, but, good, that's what I want. Thanks guys. I asked a simple question and got a bunch of great simple answers :)

Nekojin

Jul 29, 2019
I haven't played modded Minecraft for more than brief stints over the past year. The last time I messed around with Big Reactors, turbines didn't exist. The simple question: Are turbines necessary in current Big Reactors, or is it possible to run a reactor that doesn't use turbines? If it's possible, what are the advantages and disadvantages of turbines?

Reactions: GamerwithnoGame

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
I haven't played modded Minecraft for more than brief stints over the past year. The last time I messed around with Big Reactors, turbines didn't exist. The simple question: Are turbines necessary in current Big Reactors, or is it possible to run a reactor that doesn't use turbines? If it's possible, what are the advantages and disadvantages of turbines?
Nope you can still run normal passive reactors.

The benefit of running turbines is that your power output/efficiency is something like 5-10x with the same size reactor/amount of fuel.

Disadvantages is that you cannot toggle it on and off at a whim. The turbines have a long spinup time to get to the proper RPM ranges(900 or 1800RPM), so you want to keep them running constantly. Therefore use them as your backbone power solution and then perhaps passive reactor(s) or other power solutions to toggle on and off during peak power needs.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Can anyone help me with something? I don't understand how to make an intra-linking book from mystcraft, seeing as the link modifier has no crafting recipe.

rhn

Too Much Free Time
Nov 11, 2013
Excellent, that perfectly answers my question. Thanks! =^_^=
Made a small example on how you can automate the setup of toggling different power solutions on and off when the turbine is not enough using EnderIO in case that would be of interest:
http://forum.feed-the-beast.com/thr...uide-collection-etc.42664/page-11#post-686258

Can anyone help me with something? I don't understand how to make an intra-linking book from mystcraft, seeing as the link modifier has no crafting recipe.
Dunno if this have changed, but you used to have to do it in the Ink Mixer by adding certain materials(I usually use gold dust, 12 is usually enough to make it certain of getting it).

Reactions: Nekojin