Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
Question, though I know the answer is probably no. Anyway to make slimes stop spawning in my base?

http://i.imgur.com/Yt0MXzt.jpg

Its party night as you can see by the screenshot. Ive gotten about 3000 slimes balls just from farming down in my tree farm when Im not trying to build stuff upstairs. Its not hard, just mildly annoying. Ill need to invest in an aoe weapon if one exists in tinkers otherwise. Cause one sword is really slow vs allllllllll of those slimes.

You are correct. The slimes will spawn in any light level. So the best answer is to move and fill in the slime chunk.

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
I don't think I understand your question... An industrial steam engine produces max 8mj/t, a REC has a max input of 100 mj/t (or 12.5 industrial steam engines). It stores 100k mj, so with one industrial steam engine you'll fill it up in ten and a half minute. With the max input of 12.5 industrial steam engines, it would fill up in 50 seconds.

Thanks for the answer! I realized that i cannot possibly be the intake of the box after I took a closer look at the description. Apparently, Industrial Steam Engines build up about 10000 MJ of "heat" and then stay there.

Another question: Can I increase the size of a boiler while it's running?

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Will one industrial Steam engine produce more than the maximum Input for a Redstone energy Cell? I have one hooked up to my cell, and it's building up energy quite significantly.

Yes, it will attempt to burst out more than 100 MJ per stroke while in blue or green status, while the maximum input of the REC is 100 MJ per tick.

However, as energy builds up, the engine will also stroke faster (Railcraft engines do so gradually, not just with color changes) and thereby output smaller bursts more often. The question is just: can the engine stroke fast enough to bring the burst size low enough? At 8 MJ/t, it would need to have a stroke length of 12 ticks or lower (AKA roughly two strokes per second).

Railcraft engines don't explode when the internal buffer fills up, they just stall. So try watching it and see how it develops. If it stabilizes somewhere, you're good to go, even if it's in the red zone. It won't hurt the engine or the REC in any way.

Alternatively, hook the engine up to a conduit leading to the REC. The conduit can accept bursts of up to 1000 MJ each tick, so the engine won't have any issues outputting all its energy there.

Scetath

Jul 29, 2019
i am playin ftb unleashed now and made my first linked book
so i went out and found a village i made a linked book there and wanted to port back to my base but it does not work
do i need 2 anable porting in a config?
yes? then what config? i dont want to mess it up XD

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Thanks for the answer! I realized that i cannot possibly be the intake of the box after I took a closer look at the description. Apparently, Industrial Steam Engines build up about 10000 MJ of "heat" and then stay there.

I _think_ (note think) that you can increase the vertical size without any issues (that is, not adding or removing fireboxes). So if you have an 4HP boiler you can increase it to a 8HP or 12HP boiler with no issues. I'm entirely unsure when it comes to increasing from to 4 or 9 fireboxes, I recommend testing in creative first. But I think that might be impossible as it might be possible to abuse it otherwise.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
i am playin ftb unleashed now and made my first linked book
so i went out and found a village i made a linked book there and wanted to port back to my base but it does not work
do i need 2 anable porting in a config?
yes? then what config? i dont want to mess it up XD
Books can only link from one dimension to another. You can make an "intralinking" book by messing around with the inkwell when you create the link panel, but other than that, you have to travel to another dimenson and back again. Most people set up "nexus" rooms either in the Nether or in a Mystcraft age. All your link books go to the nexus, and the nexus contains link books to all the places.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I _think_ (note think) that you can increase the vertical size without any issues (that is, not adding or removing fireboxes). So if you have an 4HP boiler you can increase it to a 8HP or 12HP boiler with no issues. I'm entirely unsure when it comes to increasing from to 4 or 9 fireboxes, I recommend testing in creative first. But I think that might be impossible as it might be possible to abuse it otherwise.

You can change any boiler into any other boiler while it's running. The new boiler however won't be running :p

Basically: no, you do not get to worm your way around heatup.

Cronos988

Jul 29, 2019
You can change any boiler into any other boiler while it's running. The new boiler however won't be running :p

Basically: no, you do not get to worm your way around heatup.

Well, it's only a LP Boiler, so I guess Heatup wouldn't be that much of an issue.

The Boilder is currently receiving a hefty surplus of fuel, and I am mainly worried about loosing the steam/fuel currently stored, as that would disrupt my Network.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Well, it's only a LP Boiler, so I guess Heatup wouldn't be that much of an issue.

The Boilder is currently receiving a hefty surplus of fuel, and I am mainly worried about loosing the steam/fuel currently stored, as that would disrupt my Network.

Yes, you will practically be losing that. (Technically it will still be there if you ever convert the boiler back to what it was before making changes to it)

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Basically, you should build a shiny new big boiler next to the crappy old little one and run both in parallel, then tear down or upgrade the old one when the new one has taken the strain. Personally I just made enough steel to build a 36HP as my first boiler.

AlanEsh

Jul 29, 2019
Question, though I know the answer is probably no. Anyway to make slimes stop spawning in my base?

http://i.imgur.com/Yt0MXzt.jpg

Its party night as you can see by the screenshot. Ive gotten about 3000 slimes balls just from farming down in my tree farm when Im not trying to build stuff upstairs. Its not hard, just mildly annoying. Ill need to invest in an aoe weapon if one exists in tinkers otherwise. Cause one sword is really slow vs allllllllll of those slimes.
As suggested, try a magnum torch. If that doesn't work and you don't want to move, can't you replace your floor material with some block that doesn't allow mobs to spawn on it?[DOUBLEPOST=1377183844][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks for the answer! I realized that i cannot possibly be the intake of the box after I took a closer look at the description. Apparently, Industrial Steam Engines build
No but you can pipe steam into an rc tank and use that as a buffer while you upgrade and heat up your boiler again.

Siro

Jul 29, 2019
Books can only link from one dimension to another. You can make an "intralinking" book by messing around with the inkwell when you create the link panel, but other than that, you have to travel to another dimenson and back again. Most people set up "nexus" rooms either in the Nether or in a Mystcraft age. All your link books go to the nexus, and the nexus contains link books to all the places.

More specifically, if one wants intralinking books one needs only
3-4 gold dust in the ink well
to make an intralinking panel. It's easy enough to do that nexus's in other dimensions can be avoided if one might otherwise have performance issues with transiting dimensions repeatedly.

schyman

Jul 29, 2019
Yes, you will practically be losing that. (Technically it will still be there if you ever convert the boiler back to what it was before making changes to it)
I tested right now; changing height of the boiler resets heat and steam, but you get to keep fuel and water. This works both if you add and remove height. Changing width resets everything.

tobi1449

Jul 29, 2019
How does the buffer of force pipes and crafting cards work?
I used them to craft 8 saplings to plantballs and it just put a few into the chest next to the pipe.
Instead it filled up the internal buffer (that 3x3 grid on the right side of the pipe's gui) and after it was full it just
pumped the saplings through.

zorn

Jul 29, 2019
Sounds like your brain is full of XP. Try turning your spawner off, collecting all of the XP on the ground, and then clicking the jar.

It doesnt seem to be. It appears the xp was being sucked out by my Coin of Fortune. I shut it off and now i get NO xp at all. Normally the turtles would leave xp that i would get when i got close, now nothing happens at all. Right clicking or even breaking the jar gives me no xp. Turn on the coin of fortune again, and I get xp. Does the jar have to be within a certain number of blocks to the xp to get it? Its two blocks from the kill point, the wikis say 'nearby mob deaths' but maybe it will only get the xp if there is nothing in the way? Im using 4 turtles ill try removing one and putting the jar in the 4th slot instead.

EDIT: that was the problem between turtles and blocks, there was no open block for the xp to travel to the jar through, so the xp would just sit in the kill box area. The coin of fortune apparently breaks this mechanic. once i got rid of one turtle and moved the jar, it works normally.

Reactions: AlanEsh

Airship

Jul 29, 2019
Can someone explain to me the difference in using a managed or manual peat multifarm, other than being able to place down the peat and water yourself? Doing some testing, it seems like having more waterblocks around peat actually makes the peat grow faster, so there doesn't seem to be much of an advantage in using the manual farm. What other differences are there? Speed? Power/Fertilizer consumption?

Henry Link

Popular Member
Dec 23, 2012
USA - East Coast
What are the items that they are using on Forgecraft 2 to prevent mob spawning? They are scattered all around on the floor, especially around the little refuge room in The End.

They are a form of light. I don't know what mod it is but they also use them on Forgecraft 1. So they should be in the Direwolf20 1.5 pack.