Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
I bet RichardG will happily add it to MiscPeripherals up if you suggest it together with a cool prank they could be used for... ;)

Dan4220

Jul 29, 2019
I want to write a mining turtle program where it places blocks from the filled slots. How do I make it so that when there are no items in slot 1 it will use the items in slot 2?

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I bet RichardG will happily add it to MiscPeripherals up if you suggest it together with a cool prank they could be used for... ;)
Hehehe, you can kill people's computers and lag people's servers with a simple line! :D

But it would be cool, they'd have to be monitored on servers.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
I want to write a mining turtle program where it places blocks from the filled slots. How do I make it so that when there are no items in slot 1 it will use the items in slot 2?

Ok to be honest you probably want to ask over in the CC forums.

But the two commands you are looking for are

turtle.select(slotNum)
and
turtle.getItemCount(slotNum)

You can use the count to check to see if the number of items is zero and then the select to pick a new slot.

EDIT: also you can see a complete list of turtle commands over here. http://computercraft.info/wiki/Turtle_(API)[DOUBLEPOST=1365014736][/DOUBLEPOST]
Are there any mods that add remote viewing capability like CCTV cameras or scrying? I know portals used to render at one point, like in Grumpy's mod spotlight.

Not CCTV but there is a camera mod out there that lets you take pictures.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
Not CCTV but there is a camera mod out there that lets you take pictures.
I had just been thinking about that, actually- Wouldn't it be cool to load a digital camera into a turtle, and have the (wirelessly-controlled) turtle deposit memory cards in an enderchest, or even stream footage (well... send photos, at least) over Rednet? You could spy on people without risking much more than a stone and iron box!

But anyway...
Are there any mods that add remote viewing capability like CCTV cameras or scrying? I know portals used to render at one point, like in Grumpy's mod spotlight.
The only mods I know with capability even close to that are see-through PortalGun portals (before the current rewrite of the mod- those haven't been re-added yet), and CameraCraft, which only allows low-resolution still photos.
I think iChun mentioned on the PortalGun thread somewhere that he doesn't use the same technology as [something else that I don't remember] for the see-through portals.

However, I have heard that Mystcraft will eventually be adding a Crystal Viewer (as per Myst lore), which could be used for transdimensional chunkloading and spying. Maybe- I don't know if you'll need to program the viewer with a linkbook first.

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
It's a LOT of steel for something that can be automated with a powered furnace.
Now, if it gave "Steamed Beef" and "Steamed Potato" that had better saturation and hunger points, I can see me investing in it.

Saice

Jul 29, 2019
It's a LOT of steel for something that can be automated with a powered furnace.
Now, if it gave "Steamed Beef" and "Steamed Potato" that had better saturation and hunger points, I can see me investing in it.

I want to able able to push a whole cow into it and steam the whole thing. Getting leather, bones, and cooked beef out the other end.

tabs

Jul 29, 2019
The condition you wish to check is the result of calling turtle.place(), which returns true if it was able to place the block and false if not.

To do specifically what you asked for this code will do it:
Code:
if not turtle.place() then turtle.select(2) end
...but you'll likely want something a bit more generic that checks all slots:
Code:
local slot = 1
while slot < 17 do
if turtle.place() then break end
slot = slot + 1
turtle.select(slot)
end

Bear in mind this will fail if the turtle is attempting to place a block where there already is one. You should be able to work out how to solve that problem.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I had just been thinking about that, actually- Wouldn't it be cool to load a digital camera into a turtle, and have the (wirelessly-controlled) turtle deposit memory cards in an enderchest, or even stream footage (well... send photos, at least) over Rednet? You could spy on people without risking much more than a stone and iron box!
Make it a wireless turtle, streaming video to a CC monitor. Give it the ability to give commands to other wireless turtles. Create turtle army. Command it from your couch:D

jumpfight5

Jul 29, 2019
I want to able able to push a whole cow into it and steam the whole thing. Getting leather, bones, and cooked beef out the other end.
Using MFR conveyor belts?
OR RAILS with cages on them? That'd be awesome. You should be able to get, like, triple the meat, lots of leather, and a good amount of bones.

Reactions: EternalDensity

Coolkrieger3

Jul 29, 2019
I have a modular power tool that I have put crafting, plasma cannon and pickax on but I don't know how to switch between the 3 tools. How do I do that?

Coolkrieger3

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: In computercraft how do you get use command line arguments? For example there is a turtle program "go" that accepts 1 or 2 arguments (direction and distance) How do implement that in my program?

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
Another question: In computercraft how do you get use command line arguments? For example there is a turtle program "go" that accepts 1 or 2 arguments (direction and distance) How do implement that in my program?

I don't know, but I suggest you use rectangular coordinates instead of polar ones.

Poppycocks

Jul 29, 2019

local arg = {...}

Would say more, but I'm kinda in work atm :D.

Moezso

Jul 29, 2019
I need a bit help, i can't think of a way of doing it :/

I want to automate Industrial Electrolyzer with Applied Energistics. I have a big load of every Kind of Dust that dont have a good use except being electolyzed.
But i can not just put a Export Bus on it, it would stuck and other Dusts would store up.

The only way i know is with RP2 Sorting machines and tell it the exact Amount that it need. But then i would have to export all the Dust out of the AE System and into a chest.

Somebody know another way to do it, that is Fail safe?
I've been thinking about this. Structure pipe with gate on the electrolyzer, set to emit redstone signal when machine isn't working. Invert the signal, send it to a router set to extract from the top. Import bus on the router. When the machine has the incorrect amount of dusts, and stops, the router will stop getting redstone signal, and send the dusts back into the system. Just an idea I had. Going to have to test this soon.