Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here
V

Viperion

In the Mage Quest HQM pack, I can't drop Ender Pearls into a Botania mana pool to make Mana Pearls (I want to make the Alchemy Catalyst). There is a ton of mana in the pool. I can make Manasteel by dropping Iron Ingots in as usual. Anyone got a clue what's going on?

Ashendale

Jul 29, 2019
So with all the 1.8.9 hype, I read a bit of information over the time and I'm a bit confused.
Is 1.8.9 faster/more stable than 1.7.10 (just considering vanilla)?
Were the mod devs not reluctant to start modding on 1.8? I think (pretty sure) I read somewhere that devs wanted to skip 1.8 and go directly to 1.9 because of the hassle that modding on 1.8 was considered to be. What changed?

Thanks for any insight

V

Viperion

In the Mage Quest HQM pack, I can't drop Ender Pearls into a Botania mana pool to make Mana Pearls (I want to make the Alchemy Catalyst). There is a ton of mana in the pool. I can make Manasteel by dropping Iron Ingots in as usual. Anyone got a clue what's going on?
Quoting myself for fun and profit :p

So the Ender Pearls I have, have an NBT tag on them (they are 368:1, where an ender pearl I give myself in creative is 368 with no tag).
  1. How did it get a different NBT tag?
  2. How do I get rid of it?
Cheers

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
So with all the 1.8.9 hype, I read a bit of information over the time and I'm a bit confused.
Were the mod devs not reluctant to start modding on 1.8? I think (pretty sure) I read somewhere that devs wanted to skip 1.8 and go directly to 1.9 because of the hassle that modding on 1.8 was considered to be. What changed?

Thanks for any insight

So when forge for 1.8 came out, most modders weren't interested in updating for two reasons (imo)
1. They had just gotten a stable 1.7 version
2. 1.8 lacked good tessellation code for rendering, among other things

Now, as lexmanos and other forge contributors have worked very hard on 1.8.8 and 1.8.9, people are beginning to move. Another big part imo is Thaumcraft moving to 1.8

Performance wise, it depends on your computer. Some people have a big boost in frame rate, others have terrible performance, some like me haven't noticed a huge difference.

I'm pretty if mojang had released 1.9 a little earlier we would be skipping 1.8, but that's my opinion again.

Reactions: Ashendale

Cptqrk

Popular Member
Aug 24, 2013
Okay folks, how about this.

I've gotten to end game Thaumcraft, and almost end game Botania (server folk aren't ready for the end yet).

Tell me, what do you use Blood Magic, and or Witchery for? What cool gadgets/things can you do with these mods?

boondockArtist

Jul 29, 2019
Personally, I use Blood Magic for the whole deal. The tools are neat, the cross-mod shenanigans I've used in my systems are handy, and the whole semi-customizable potions and completely customizable late game spells looked rather neat as well. I don't have much to say about Bound Armor considering I've never really touched it.
Meanwhile, Witchery is neat, but I've always found myself too distracted by other things to dive into it. From what I've seen, however, it has it's perks. Especially PvP (You're playing on a server, right Cpt.?). The focus isn't PvP, though. The rituals could help out, you can pretty much make custom potions with this mod, and if you're looking for a challenge, there are a handful of bosses that you can fight if you're interested in such.

K

Kasey89878

I was wondering what is going on with Applied energistics 2. I heard that AlgorithmX2 was no longer developing the mod and it is one of my favorite mods. Does anybody know if someone else has taken over? Or if they plan to update to 1.8? And information would be much appreciated!

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
I was wondering what is going on with Applied energistics 2. I heard that AlgorithmX2 was no longer developing the mod and it is one of my favorite mods. Does anybody know if someone else has taken over? Or if they plan to update to 1.8? And information would be much appreciated!
Where did you hear that?

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam

Thanks for any insight
This might explain things better than I did

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/42w60t/18x_megathread/

K

Kasey89878

Thanks for the info about 1.8 mods and the .json models, but I have done some research about 1.8 mods myself. I was wondering specifically about AE2 and if it is going to continue developing or not.

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
So with all the 1.8.9 hype... Were the mod devs not reluctant to start modding on 1.8? ... What changed?
Modders are not a borg collective, there isn't some "Cobblestonecutters" secret council of modders that rule the modded world. 1.8 is faster than 1.7, there are a lot of optimizations to cut out unnecessary processing. 1.9 has taken a long time to appear, maybe if it was quicker like 1.7 was after 1.6 then the many modders might have skipped 1.8. Looks to me like they got fed up waiting for 1.9 and decided to bite the bullet. Just speculation though, and like I said, they're all making up their own minds.

Reactions: Ashendale

erindalc

Popular Member
Mar 3, 2015
Steam
Any particular part of that pertinent? It seems like an awful lot to parse for some information that may not mean anything. IMO, Reddit is less reliable a source than Wikipedia, and that has to be taken with a grain of salt in and of itself.
The post itself is mostly factual as far as I can tell. Not sure about the comments I didn't look at those

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013
The post itself is mostly factual as far as I can tell. Not sure about the comments I didn't look at those

I like reading replies, both in forums and on news stories (real world) where provided. You can get a sense for who has a bit of an idea what is involved in the subject and who seems to only have misconceptions about it.

In this case my favorite (most entertaining) argument is for skipping 1.8 and waiting for 1.9. To me this is like skipping second year [2nd language] and expecting to continue with the 3rd year without a hitch. You'll still have to learn the 2nd year stuff, but now struggle harder with it while trying to learn 3rd year at the same time.

This same argument popped up when static block IDs were a thing and Mojang added dynamic IDs assigned by blockname in the next version (1.7, if I remember correctly). Many mods said they were going to skip versions... They either had to adapt to the new method, which many did at the last minute, or be dropped from new packs.

Reactions: erindalc