Any good ideas on how to make AE auto "upgrade" itself on demand?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
First off turtles are not an option as Threadticking and CC don't work well together so that's out of the way, Any bright ideas on how to make AE auto make a 64k drive every time Only when all the rest of the drives are filling up on types or bytes? Cause well it's could work with auto crafting but I want it only make a drive when needed. Say like a 90 to 95% full of types or bytes. Of course I'll have to setup the drives and import buses myself but who's care just don't want my quarry to "blow" up AE again. So does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I was thinking of a setting up gates but if the system is full to the brim it's won't craft as it's would be "struck".

PeggleFrank

Jul 29, 2019
AE doesn't have very redstone mechanics that I can find, so it would be very hard to detect anything in the system, if even possible at all.

Gates are the only suggestion I can think of.

Cutler Pain

Jul 29, 2019
How much stuff are you constantly throwing into your system that you need to auto craft disks? Maybe you might just want to think about better disk management instead.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
No I'm not even autocrafting them yet just don't want to ever worry about the thing filling up as long as I have BC quarries going (with those DSUs they should find more than enough quartz and dusts to keep them going) and if I'm going to have 2 to 4 quarries going a drive can fills up probably in about 2 days or something even when your mixing in DSUs and incarcerating craps. So that's would be one less thing to worry about. Yes I will still have to craft a drive every so often but hey I could spam like 4 or 10 of them and they'll lasts for at least weeks of heavy loads and those buses I can tear them down once a couple of dives are full and transfers them to an array of fresh drives.

Cutler Pain

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I would just dump excess material, I try to make use of everything that goes into my system but sometimes you just gotta throw cobble in the recycler. I let my cobble levels hover around 2 million (who knows why), dirt is centerfuged, sand is turned into lava and gravel is rock crushed. Unless you purposely want to accumulate 40 disks full of cobble go ahead. I think you just need overflow protection

Reactions: PeggleFrank

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Honestly I would just dump excess material, I try to make use of everything that goes into my system but sometimes you just gotta throw cobble in the recycler. I let my cobble levels hover around 2 million (who knows why), dirt is centerfuged, sand is turned into lava and gravel is rock crushed. Unless you purposely want to accumulate 40 disks full of cobble go ahead. I think you just need overflow protection
DSUs is holding all my cobble and dirt and other craps. I'm burning away marble and Xycraft quartz crystals.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
First off turtles are not an option as Threadticking and CC don't work well together so that's out of the way, Any bright ideas on how to make AE auto make a 64k drive every time Only when all the rest of the drives are filling up on types or bytes? Cause well it's could work with auto crafting but I want it only make a drive when needed. Say like a 90 to 95% full of types or bytes. Of course I'll have to setup the drives and import buses myself but who's care just don't want my quarry to "blow" up AE again. So does anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I was thinking of a setting up gates but if the system is full to the brim it's won't craft as it's would be "struck".

For one, if your system is dropping stuff when your AE drives are full you need to consider installing overflow valves and pre-filtering input BEFORE you send it to your AE system. For real.

Secondly, a combination of OpenPeripherals, vanilla 1.5 mechanics, ME Storage busses and turtles would let you detect things. Here's how it'd work.

1. Have a chests set up with ME storage bus. Make its storage priority VERY VERY low so that it is the LAST place things will show up.
  2. Use a redstone comparator to detect when items enter the chest. When this happens it means that you're full on types or data.
  3. Have that redstone pulse trigger a turtle to withdraw materials for a 64k cell and try and place it in the drive. If that fails, it'll need to craft a new drive and place it adjacent to the existing drive.
OpenPeripherals has native support for peering into ME drives, although it doesn't support looking for the state of cells.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
thanks for your suggestion will take in mind when Threadticking works with CC. I know gates on the Tessact will stop any overflow and stop the quarry before things start to blow! That's way I'm not like those idiots that have void pipes and just voiding everything that can't fit.

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
...Secondly, a combination of OpenPeripherals, vanilla 1.5 mechanics, ME Storage busses and turtles would let you detect things. Here's how it'd work....

Great idea, but won't you also need a way to clear the final chest after the new cell is in the system?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Great idea, but won't you also need a way to clear the final chest after the new cell is in the system?

I think all you need to do is have the turtle trigger something to suck the items out. That part of the reset is trivial.[DOUBLEPOST=1370997415][/DOUBLEPOST]
I know gates on the Tessact will stop any overflow and stop the quarry before things start to blow!

AFAIK, this is false.

That's way I'm not like those idiots that have void pipes and just voiding everything that can't fit.

Yeah you should be throwing away most of what you get from a quarry.

Cutler Pain

Jul 29, 2019
So if quartz and marble are your problems then make a DSU for them too. I just feel like there are simpler solutions to this then auto installing new disks.

arentol

Jul 29, 2019
No I'm not even autocrafting them yet just don't want to ever worry about the thing filling up as long as I have BC quarries going (with those DSUs they should find more than enough quartz and dusts to keep them going) and if I'm going to have 2 to 4 quarries going a drive can fills up probably in about 2 days or something even when your mixing in DSUs and incarcerating craps. So that's would be one less thing to worry about. Yes I will still have to craft a drive every so often but hey I could spam like 4 or 10 of them and they'll lasts for at least weeks of heavy loads and those buses I can tear them down once a couple of dives are full and transfers them to an array of fresh drives.

How are you moving your quarries automatically?