An Eldritch Abomination from Below the World

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
the right way to transport power in rotarycraft is to actually use its shafts, bevel gears, shaft junctions, etc.

DO IT LIKE A MAN.

If my reactor is in a mystcraft age how do I get the power to my base in the overworld with a shaft?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
If my reactor is in a mystcraft age how do I get the power to my base in the overworld with a shaft?
As of v17b, tesseracts are really the only way, though you will need several dynamos (whose power limit is 67MW).

I'm not sure how feasible it would be, can you pathfind to the surface and block off openings with smaller radii?
Not really, no. What about caves that go up, down, sideways, loop, widen, tighten...

iiowyn

Jul 29, 2019
Heck just something like the dirt creepers from special mobs but does it with stone and only out of sight. Would really mess with cavers.
Just fun brainstorming.

MoosyDoosy

Jul 29, 2019
Heck just something like the dirt creepers from special mobs but does it with stone and only out of sight. Would really mess with cavers.
Just fun brainstorming.
Explosive, hostile bats with decent health would be more fun. "Hey, a bat! I want morph! Free flight! Heheheh!....*Boom* Player died. Wtf?"

Reactions: Padfoote

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
As of v17b, tesseracts are really the only way, though you will need several dynamos (whose power limit is 67MW).

Okay. I am still on v15 or so (whatever is in Horizons) and I am at work, so I don't have access to this information, but I believe that magnetostatic engines are limited to 4MW now? If so, you will need MANY magnetostatics on the other side of the tesseract to convert back. Wouldn't it be better if they were symmetrical? (Magnetostatics and rotational dynamos). Maybe they are.....

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, after reading through all the above posts, am I correct to assume that the power generated by the reactor is created by steam running through the turbines? If so, can the steam produced this way be transported using TE3's tesseracts?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
Hmm, after reading through all the above posts, am I correct to assume that the power generated by the reactor is created by steam running through the turbines? If so, can the steam produced this way be transported using TE3's tesseracts?

yep, was just going to suggest this. this is how i transfer rc power interdimensionally.

it's using a cheaty magic block which i dislike, but it works.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
To me the big issue with pumping the steam back to your base is that the turbines themselves are a major source of lag (mainly of the gpu type). Also I highly doubt that Reika will allow the steam to be used with other mods like railcrafts steam.

How about industry coil minecarts that can be sent through portals?

As for the Eldritch AbominationI I look forward to that being "accidentally" slipped into a pack update with out being in the change log.

Last edited:

midi_sec

Jul 29, 2019
right, but if you transfer your power as a liquid...

i guess it depends on what is more lossy. converting twice, from and to rotarycraft energy and losing power. or transfer the power as a liquid and convert with a RC block once.

edit: guess i should mention that i use the power converters mod due to circumstances. i do not convert rotary steam into railcraft, because obviously... i'll do some testing sometime to see if it's more efficient than converting with rotarycraft natively. i was spending too much time trying to figure out how to get the rotary power where i need it to be without as bad tesseract loss, so i went back to old faithful steam.

Last edited:

PierceSG

Jul 29, 2019
Well, could always power some lava/oil fabricators from MFR on site and transport the products instead?

NJM1564

Jul 29, 2019
I will leave that to another mod.

How would you implement that? It is not like the monster AI knows where caves are.

Have the monster randomly fill all air blocks a x distance from the player with stone. You go forward all you will see is a normal dead end. Go back though and your path is suddenly cut off. With some work to make the aria blend in with the existing wall it could do well.
But the basic point is that you can code for effecting specific blocks. And air is technically a block.
You could even have the mob slowly close in the walls around the player. You go afk you come back to find your self berried alive.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Okay. I am still on v15 or so (whatever is in Horizons) and I am at work, so I don't have access to this information, but I believe that magnetostatic engines are limited to 4MW now? If so, you will need MANY magnetostatics on the other side of the tesseract to convert back. Wouldn't it be better if they were symmetrical? (Magnetostatics and rotational dynamos). Maybe they are.....
No, because again, they completely negate the use of shafts, and more importantly, gears.

No. It is not a liquid like RailCraft.

gallowglass

Jul 29, 2019
No, because again, they completely negate the use of shafts, and more importantly, gears.

I get that part, and I think it is actually a great thing. I really didn't get into gears and CVTs and such right away because of the uncapped magnetostatic engines. But I am really having a hard time figuring out how to move RotaryCraft energy over large distances. In real life, rotational energy is turned into electricity for transport. Maybe a super spendy
or otherwise balanced version of the magnetostatic engine designed to be the receiver in an tesseract situation whose cost and/or other properties make it balanced?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I get that part, and I think it is actually a great thing. I really didn't get into gears and CVTs and such right away because of the uncapped magnetostatic engines. But I am really having a hard time figuring out how to move RotaryCraft energy over large distances. In real life, rotational energy is turned into electricity for transport. Maybe a super spendy
or otherwise balanced version of the magnetostatic engine designed to be the receiver in an tesseract situation whose cost and/or other properties make it balanced?
I can think of nothing that follows that and does not violate the realism of RC.

iiowyn

Jul 29, 2019
This has gone way far from Eldritch Abominations, but I think the issue boils down to the purpose of ReactorCraft. RotaryCraft makes perfect sense to me, in use and creation of power. It all fits together nicely. On to ReactorCraft, the amount of power created is so great that using it just to turn shafts and gears just doesn't make sense for me. I mean I know that is how the power is generated from the steam, but I think in reality all of that is used to generate electricity, which is storeable and portable. Which in Minecraft to me invokes the idea of a stationary power generation area that is then used to power things in multiple distant areas.

Boils down to the idea of using a nuclear reactor to power rotational devices without some sort of electrical bridge seems really off to me. Not asking you to change things, just some observations.

Reactions: Not_Steve

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
This has gone way far from Eldritch Abominations, but I think the issue boils down to the purpose of ReactorCraft. RotaryCraft makes perfect sense to me, in use and creation of power. It all fits together nicely. On to ReactorCraft, the amount of power created is so great that using it just to turn shafts and gears just doesn't make sense for me. I mean I know that is how the power is generated from the steam, but I think in reality all of that is used to generate electricity, which is storeable and portable. Which in Minecraft to me invokes the idea of a stationary power generation area that is then used to power things in multiple distant areas.

Boils down to the idea of using a nuclear reactor to power rotational devices without some sort of electrical bridge seems really off to me. Not asking you to change things, just some observations.
ReactorCraft is intended to be nothing more than an extremely large source of power for RotaryCraft. In the real world, electricity is used because it is so much easier and cheaper to transmit. These factors do not matter in RotaryCraft.

danidas

Jul 29, 2019
Personally I like the Idea of a industry coil/spring minecart to transport shaft power over long distances and cross dimensionally. It would be even better with Railcraft support for all of its cart/train management capabilities.

The Idea of running a shaft into a portal is also good but you run into issues with all the different portals out their for different mods. Plus the added complexity of handling it while keeping away from magic and staying with in the theme of rotarycraft.

EyeDeck

Apr 16, 2013
There really isn't any efficient way to move all, or even a significant percentage of the power generated by a ReactorCraft fusion reactor. Reika mentioned here that someone managed to produce 58 gigawatts of power - that's 58,000,000,000 W, or 5.8*10^10 W - with a fusion reactor. To convert that to RF to move with a tesseract would require more than 1,000 rotational dynamos*. To convert that back to RoC power would require ~14,000 magnetostatic engines.

*note that while rotational dynamos can produce just shy of 12,000 RF/t each, redstone conduits can only accept 10,000 per face. It's possible to dump that energy directly into a tesseract, which doesn't have a limit, but then, even with the most efficient, incredibly complex setup to get the shaft power to the dynamos, you'd need 1 input tesseract and 1.2 output tesseracts per 6 magnetostatics, or about 367 tesseracts in total.

In short, there is no good way to transmit that much power cross-dimension. Realistically, however, it's unlikely you'll actually be able to use even 0.5% of the total power produced, especially if you only build one to power non RoC machines. It's an excellent end-game goal for low-maintenance, practically infinite power, but don't expect to be anywhere near able to use it all.

Personally I like the Idea of a industry coil/spring minecart to transport shaft power over long distances and cross dimensionally. It would be even better with Railcraft support for all of its cart/train management capabilities.

The Idea of running a shaft into a portal is also good but you run into issues with all the different portals out their for different mods. Plus the added complexity of handling it while keeping away from magic and staying with in the theme of rotarycraft.
The problem with that, in the context of fusion reactors, is that a bedrock coil can only emit 16MW of power... or about 0.03% of the output of a 58 GW reactor.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
There really isn't any efficient way to move all, or even a significant percentage of the power generated by a ReactorCraft fusion reactor. Reika mentioned here that someone managed to produce 58 gigawatts of power - that's 58,000,000,000 W, or 5.8*10^10 W - with a fusion reactor. To convert that to RF to move with a tesseract would require more than 1,000 rotational dynamos*. To convert that back to RoC power would require ~14,000 magnetostatic engines.

*note that while rotational dynamos can produce just shy of 12,000 RF/t each, redstone conduits can only accept 10,000 per face. It's possible to dump that energy directly into a tesseract, which doesn't have a limit, but then, even with the most efficient, incredibly complex setup to get the shaft power to the dynamos, you'd need 1 input tesseract and 1.2 output tesseracts per 6 magnetostatics, or about 367 tesseracts in total.

In short, there is no good way to transmit that much power cross-dimension. Realistically, however, it's unlikely you'll actually be able to use even 0.5% of the total power produced, especially if you only build one to power non RoC machines. It's an excellent end-game goal for low-maintenance, practically infinite power, but don't expect to be anywhere near able to use it all.

Not that you will know the difference.