Ampz + Ultimate = AWESOMENESS

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

gattsuru

May 25, 2013
Does that spreadsheet measure severity of issue? I remember Saice having critical problems for a day or so at his ship, which didn't involve any of those four listed mods (I think BC pipes and MFR?). I applaud you for running such a big pack, but there are consistency and coherency and simple troubleshooting advantages to smaller ones. You bring up Shneeky's pack, and that's a fairly good and robust option, but it's also running only a handful of mods, and even bringing Mekanism has been a rather complicated question.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Not just talking about crashes. Mods that are poorly optimized, or that have persistent bugs that rob processing bandwidth, when used alongside other mods that are poorly optimized or have persistent bugs that rob processing bandwidth, coupled with fringe-case fatal bugs, optimized elements used in excess, and all the other things that come together to undermine stability only become harder to track down and address when you increase the pool of mods to choose from. The Ultimate pack is already subject to issues causing < 5fps performance on robust machines, crashes, and generally irritating things that require a substantial investment of time to identify before the issues can be corrected.

The thing is, man. Most of the most egregious performance hogs I can find are in ultimate. So if anything, this points out that Ultmate could go further. If your machine can run Ultimate, tossing Mekanism on the pile will probably improve performance because you clear out all those crufty IC2 cables. Likewise giving you options for armor other than the crazy-huge packet sizes of MPS actually gives aggregate increases to performance. A similar property happens with Gregtech, which for all its social faults generally is a very efficient mod and replacing IC2 stuff with GT stuff generally improves stability and speed dramatically.

I am not speculating about the above. We can actually tweak the our server's performance by removing IC2 cables, ICBM turrets, and having people remove MPS armor and relog. I use TickProfiler daily. Nothing else comes close except for some outstanding bugs in the way Mekanism and new Buildcraft interact pathologically.

If Factorization machines had an issue that caused memory leaks if placed adjacent to a dirt block, does my experience with pocket crafting tables mean I'm in a credible position to say that Factorization doesn't have any issues? Of course not.

Let's stop speaking in hypotheticals here. Because we actually use a fair sum of Factorization on our server (it's the best gravel generator, and easy to power with steam) and it's never come up. Don't name names randomly, it makes mod authors uncomfortable.

Besides, that's an unworkable definition of "using a mod". Not every part of every mod is useful or meaningful in mixed modpack play. It is expected some content will be difficult to use, or useless because other radically superior options exist. That doesn't mean the mod is not in use.

While you're playing your mod pack, I've been playing Ultimate. I don't care what your spreadsheets say. I don't care about what your anecdotal assumptions say. The Ultimate pack...which is what we're talking about now, notRR...is in rough shape right now, and until they can sort out what they've got, there's no point adding more.

With all respect due to our gracious hosts: the Ultimate pack has issues. These are not issues all modpacks suffer. I cannot tell you how good a job the FTB modpack team does because I've not been using their beta, do not know their process, and only have a vague notion that they're happy waiting for 1.6 for a real release. But I look at their configs for reference and I see longstanding issues.

But there are well-managed 1.5.2 packs out there and many of them have >100 mods and do a good job. ForgeCraft1's modpack is a dev modpack and they still do a pretty good job of it, from all indications. I do not include RR in this because we're not public, by the way.

[DOUBLEPOST=1372804346][/DOUBLEPOST]
Does that spreadsheet measure severity of issue? I remember Saice having critical problems for a day or so at his ship, which didn't involve any of those four listed mods (I think BC pipes and MFR?).

It was the issue I linked above, involving Mekanism generators spamming >5 lighting updates a second up near the skybox. It happens most with Buildcraft pipes, but can happen with any wire.

You bring up Shneeky's pack, and that's a fairly good and robust option, but it's also running only a handful of mods, and even bringing Mekanism has been a rather complicated question.

Shneeky and I talk pretty often about modpack balance, issues and integration. I know he's been playing with Mekanism and had some issues with the post 100 builds on this rev (we have too, actually, our 0.9.0 release was nearly release quality and I'm going to freeze mekanism as we approach public launch to a build in the 80's).

I dunno if I'd play Shneeky's pack on my own, but I like what he's doing. I think his pack would be better off with Mekanism; but people know I carry a lot of water for the UE ecosystem in this forum because they're very much underdogs and weirdly reviled by the mainstream forgecraft fanbase.

Aside: Calclavia is killing it with MFFS3. He has inchoworm drives working with MFFS, and can now move multiblocks with force fields. He's successfully moved a variety of tanks. It's totally awesome. I am glad I bet on his branch, even though I (and others in RR) are unhappy with his license decisions.[/quote]

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
The thing is, man. Most of the most egregious performance hogs I can find are in ultimate. So if anything, this points out that Ultmate could go further. If your machine can run Ultimate, tossing Mekanism on the pile will probably improve performance because you clear out all those crufty IC2 cables. Likewise giving you options for armor other than the crazy-huge packet sizes of MPS actually gives aggregate increases to performance. A similar property happens with Gregtech, which for all its social faults generally is a very efficient mod and replacing IC2 stuff with GT stuff generally improves stability and speed dramatically.

It's pretty clear that you're not responding to the topic specifically and instead defending bloated mod packs because you have an investment in the topic, and I'm not interested in that discussion. From the sounds of things, what the FTB team does or does not do with the Ultimate pack will have no impact on you because you don't use it. I do or, more specifically, I did until a few days ago when I got tired of the relentless stream of issues I was encountering and decided to shelve it until I see what the 1.6 changes bring. And my point is and will remain that until the pack improves in the stability and reliability category, nothing new should be added to the pack "just because". If people want additional mods they can add them on their own and deal with the associated headaches...on their own.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
It's pretty clear that you're not responding to the topic specifically and instead defending bloated mod packs because you have an investment in the topic, and I'm not interested in that discussion.

You just keep making points like, "Oh man it's so bad more mods will cause more problems." But the problematic mods are already in there. Most mods have only medium overhead related to use. It's sorta shocking, I know, but... most mods just never enter onto my radar as performance hogs, and I probably profile more mods than anyone but a mod developer. What's more, prevailing wisdom about what mods are slow are often wrong.

So while it's true that adding more mods can introduce new issues, as a general rule I just don't find my issues count is proportional to my mod count. Call this "biased", but this means you find all such data inadmissible because you'd need a big modpack to call it. What more mods tend to introduce is more trouble sorting dependencies (like right now, updating Modular Powersuits is really hard because it breaks 4 mods). But these are things that users seldom see, because generally what we do is find the most bugless intersection and hold there until we can jump to another well tested configuration.

I'm happy to talk in specifics if you have any. I think I even have! Accusing me of being vague and invasive seems a tad unfair.

Nice job sliding the pejorative in there, btw. There's that contempt I know and love!

IAnd my point is and will remain that until the pack improves in the stability and reliability category, nothing new should be added to the pack "just because". If people want additional mods they can add them on their own and deal with the associated headaches...on their own.

I am actually advocating you find a new modpack entirely until FTB Ultimate has a real 1.6 release. I know this sucks for you because of your youtube work. And no, I do not think RR will meet your needs. Good luck finding one.

Reactions: dgdas9 and samSTR

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
I am actually advocating you find a new modpack entirely until FTB Ultimate has a real 1.6 release. I know this sucks for you because of your youtube work. And no, I do not think RR will meet your needs. Good luck finding one.

I've already assembled my own mods and started a new world, and I already told you I had shelved Ultimate until 1.6. You're not testing with people who push mods to their limit. If you were, you'd have a much more accurate view of how problematic bloated packs really can be.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
You're not testing with people who push mods to their limit. If you were, you'd have a much more accurate view of how problematic bloated packs really can be.

Yeah. DoctorOr, Poppycocks, WayOfFlowingTime, Saice, natnif36, EternalDensity, and ApSciMorgs (and Freakscar and everyone else I forgot, sorry!) are notorious scrubs well known for tiny and wimpy little builds. o_O

You're calling about half the forum's well-known members scrubs, buddy. If you're using my tactically modest youtube channel as reference then know that I get to play about 2 hours a week. People with more time do better.

Seriously. Enigmius1. I can deal with your distaste. But insulting the fine people that I play Minecraft with is intolerable. Especially when your assertion is just laughable. Those posts were from just June, and I didn't even bother to link to the threads on this forum. To say we are somehow all not good enough to find bugs is absurd. It's special pleading.

Freakscar

Jul 29, 2019
You're not testing with people who push mods to their limit. If you were, you'd have a much more accurate view of how problematic bloated packs really can be.
I'm not on Daves' list, but I still wanted to comment that:

Just because we don't make a new thread in extenso whenever BossRedRanger manages to bend the server over or Poppycocks creates a machinemonstrosity that breaks the tickrate to hell and back or even yours truly manages to crash the nether with some stupid thing I managed to stitch together, does not mean it does not happen. Nor does it say anything about how often it happens. Over the course of the playtime on RR1 we had more rollbacks, resets, player.dats deleted, chunks resets and whatelsenot than I or any other participant could possibly count. Don't judge via your outside view.
All that crap happened. Several hours of downtime over the course of a week are a thing every member of RR1 is pretty used to by now. Why do we still continue to log in afterwards (maybe to find all the work of the last two days gone - again)? Because in 95% of those cases, the problem is solveable. And more important, it gets solved. If that means that the RR pack has to throw Ars Magica out of the window because of reasons, so be it. If that means we cannot use Logistics Wire because wtfcrashreason until further notice, we don't. But even weighing in all this stuff, the experience to play the RR pack is still awesomebbqsauce. And that is 50% because of configs and backstage work - but the other 50% comes from a fine selection of mods.

I played the Ultimate Pack 1.4.7 for weeks in SSP - and I had a heck of a good time. So while I read about bugs and crashes, I usually told myself "avoid item X until it gets fixed and don't connect machine y to cable z until that gets fixed also!" and hey, that worked like a charm. What you are requesting sounds more like "If you dare to offer a pack with 100+ mods, you better make sure its perfectly bugfree, or else..." - and that is laughable at best. Bugfree code is a thing that is not suddenly appearing. Bugfree code intertwined with other code managing to stay bugfree is a thing that is likely to never actually happen. I tend to think modauthors do their best in order to avoid bugs from mod-interaction before releasing a "stable" version. But even then there always can be one cogwheel that does not work according to the plan and the whole thing goes bust. As they say: "Shit happens". You either deal with it, or you don't. Nobody holds a gun to your head forcing you to play any given modpack at any given time. As you said, you created your own modpack already. Well done - only problem is going to be: Who are you going to blame when somethingsomething corrupts your world file all of a sudden? The FTB 1.4.7 Ultimate is an impressive piece of Minecraft, offering tons of fun to be had. The closer we get to the up2date version of MC with modpack X, aka the less bugfixing time has gone by, it does not take heavy thinking to come to the conclusion that shtuff most probably is going to break.

Pearls and piglets, I'll stop this just cause now.

KirinDave

Jul 29, 2019
Sorry, Freakscar. I sort of penned that in anger and I always forget your MC handle because it's almost unspellable.

Remember the week when DimDoors's spawning code for monoliths was mad broken and about 2000 spawned all over RedBossRanger's base. And unless you were an op in vanilla creative mode they just teleported you to Limbo like haters? Hilarious week. The screenshots still haunt me.

That said, we haven't had THAT many rollbacks. I could just leave the server on release 0.8.12 forever. That was basically a with-ars release candidate. I host a testing server, so people come prepared for a bit more pain than normal (from what I observe, we're slightly less stable than FC1, which is not bad since you know... I am not a modder). In many cases where we hit a bleeding edge I can do region resets without interrupting other people.

Our collection of bugs is impressive, and most of them I have 0 hope of being fixed. For example, Thaumcraft aura nodes in void ages have been broken basically forever. :(

wow

Jul 29, 2019
In short, no. The Ultimate pack already has nearly 100 mods in it. Nobody uses everything in the Ultimate pack to begin with, and the pack as a whole is already starting to show some of the negative consequences of bloat. It's not a good idea to keep adding and adding and adding to packs. If you want to add Ampz mods to the Ultimate pack, go nuts. I don't want to deal with the headaches that come from that, however, so I'd prefer it not be done as an overall change.
whats wrong with adding more? if they use the new mods, great. if they don't, doesnt hurt anything.

Harvest88

Jul 29, 2019
Well I mean if your computer can handle Ultimate, it could handle more. If it cant, why the hell are you playing FTB
Or at least remove the mods you don't want. TC3 and more biomes are not for me, that's why I want to host my own server with my own private mod pack with tons of "tech" mods but still waiting for people to pre apply. If your interested consider checking the thread on my sig.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
I cannot hear anyone over the sound of the >100 mining lasers currently running on the server. DoctorOr runs like half of them now, right?

He just sort of runs half of everything here.

Reactors that saice pioneered, he refined, thing he touched, he overdid, he has like 80 alvearys, unused becaus done day he had wanted them for a setup but a combination of his own testing and others proved this to be ineffectual or something.

He also owns a third of the IC2 reactor community here on the FTB forums - himself, Omnicrom and Peppe.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah. DoctorOr, Poppycocks, WayOfFlowingTime, Saice, natnif36, EternalDensity, and ApSciMorgs (and Freakscar and everyone else I forgot, sorry!) are notorious scrubs well known for tiny and wimpy little builds. o_O

You're calling about half the forum's well-known members scrubs, buddy. If you're using my tactically modest youtube channel as reference then know that I get to play about 2 hours a week. People with more time do better.

Seriously. Enigmius1. I can deal with your distaste. But insulting the fine people that I play Minecraft with is intolerable. Especially when your assertion is just laughable. Those posts were from just June, and I didn't even bother to link to the threads on this forum. To say we are somehow all not good enough to find bugs is absurd. It's special pleading.

I'm noticing a trend with you. It doesn't matter what is being discussed, for you the world revolves around RR. I'm talking about another mod pack being merged with the FTB Ultimate pack and now it's all about RR and the RR testers and blah blah blah. I've got no patience for the "rah rah dorkrage don't pick on my friends" BS, especially when you're twisting words. I didn't make any mention whatsoever of "good enough". I said you don't have people who push mods to their limit. Finding bugs is not pushing to their limit. Because if you did have people pushing mods to their limit, you'd know that there are a lot more than 4 in the Ultimate pack that are problematic. Oh wait, but you've decided this thread is about RR, not the Ultimate pack. Damn us for having the audacity to discuss an FTB pack in an FTB forum.

I'm about done with you. You've demonstrated time and again you're not up to the task of discussing anything rationally. The second you feel the least bit threatened...which happens fast with thin skinned folks such as yourself...all objectivity goes out the window and you're full-on defensive mode until people get sick of you. I'm not sick of you...I'm just deciding to walk away before I get sick of you. Good luck with your pack..{redacted name-calling}

wow

Jul 29, 2019
I'm noticing a trend with you. It doesn't matter what is being discussed, for you the world revolves around RR. I'm talking about another mod pack being merged with the FTB Ultimate pack and now it's all about RR and the RR testers and blah blah blah. I've got no patience for the "rah rah dorkrage don't pick on my friends" BS, especially when you're twisting words. I didn't make any mention whatsoever of "good enough". I said you don't have people who push mods to their limit. Finding bugs is not pushing to their limit. Because if you did have people pushing mods to their limit, you'd know that there are a lot more than 4 in the Ultimate pack that are problematic. Oh wait, but you've decided this thread is about RR, not the Ultimate pack. Damn us for having the audacity to discuss an FTB pack in an FTB forum.

I'm about done with you. You've demonstrated time and again you're not up to the task of discussing anything rationally. The second you feel the least bit threatened...which happens fast with thin skinned folks such as yourself...all objectivity goes out the window and you're full-on defensive mode until people get sick of you. I'm not sick of you...I'm just deciding to walk away before I get sick of you. Good luck with your pack...someday your balls will drop and you'll be able to discuss with your big boy pants on.
umadbro?

eh i dont wanna get banned again. so ill make this post have some purpose. But could you please tell me what "pushing a mod to the limit" really means? If its not finding bugs, then its really just pushing your own hardware to the limit isnt it?

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
whats wrong with adding more? if they use the new mods, great. if they don't, doesnt hurt anything.

Because the mods don't just sit idle waiting for their turn to play. It's not just a hollow list of mod names until you find a bug. All of the mods are loaded and the more you have, the harder it becomes to find problems when they arise. Which already arise enough with the Ultimate pack.[DOUBLEPOST=1372813582][/DOUBLEPOST]

u older than 9 bro? because if you are, try to act like it. bro