Alveary - Which setup is the best for mutation?

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

Loufmier

Jul 29, 2019
since all untreated, impregnated and proven has same production bonus, it doesnt matter what to use for automation

Milaha

Jul 29, 2019
Ahh thanks.
Also does the chance increase the further you go above the limit?
So if I really don't want to deal with purifying resolute bees I can take a gamble and go for a 100x mutation chance via nether star/5 uranium for glittering? Or would this also give me a 100% chance of a swarmer?

I just took a look back at the code snipet segnir provided and it looks like it does scale with how much you are over, so that sounds like a bad call.

https://twitter.com/sirsengir/status/322699952759386112

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
Also, something I've always wondered, around how many drones will a swarmer output, in comparison to the chance if getting the species when isolating?
So if I do go 100%, and it becomes a swarmer, then I inoculate that swarmer glittering with 4x offspring from wintry bees, and then I auto loop the princess back into to continually build up more drones, and then try taking the glittering trait off the drones, should that help me circumvent this? As I can then innoculate that isolated species into a rocky princess or something, and rinse and repeat for valuable etc? It will cost around 1 peoncess per mutation,that would be worth it for the 100% chance of mutation.

In fact, I could even try using the swarmer alveary block, with that ThaumBees stuff in it, how often/how many cycles will this produce?

What's more, swarmers got a huge lifespan bonus in that update, so my tactic should work even better.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I just took a look back at the code snipet segnir provided and it looks like it does scale with how much you are over, so that sounds like a bad call.

https://twitter.com/sirsengir/status/322699952759386112
Can you still pull traits off of a swarmer bee? If so, I have a interesting idea which is totally off topic here...[DOUBLEPOST=1368810172][/DOUBLEPOST]
Also, something I've always wondered, around how many drones will a swarmer output, in comparison to the chance if getting the species when isolating?
So if I do go 100%, and it becomes a swarmer, then I inoculate that swarmer glittering with 4x offspring from wintry bees, and then I auto loop the princess back into to continually build up more drones, and then try taking the glittering trait off the drones, should that help me circumvent this? As I can then innoculate that isolated species into a rocky princess or something, and rinse and repeat for valuable etc? It will cost around 1 peoncess per mutation,that would be worth it for the 100% chance of mutation.

In fact, I could even try using the swarmer alveary block, with that ThaumBees stuff in it, how often/how many cycles will this produce?

What's more, swarmers got a huge lifespan bonus in that update, so my tactic should work even better.
Oh, I guess you were thinking along the same lines as me. I was just thinking of swarmer breeding to get better traits quickly. Specifically I'd get some swarmer blocks and a breeding pair and use a mutator with the offspring of the two swarmer hives and try to rush end game bees that way.

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
Just a note, all the people saying they're using 18 chocolate frames and whatnot for breeding, I use six chocolate frames in my breeder, and that gets all but the doctoral (Longest lifespan) to one tick, and doctoral is two bee ticks with six, You can cut back on resources with this, because if there's 18 frames, all 18 get damaged each bee tick.

brujon

Jul 29, 2019
What is a swarmer good for anyway? Can't think of a situation where you would be willing to sacrifice a healthy princess to get Swarmers. Sure, you can then use multiple of the same queen and get more of a product quickly. BUT... If you already have few of the type you want, won't sacrificing one make the situation worse?

Adonis0

Jul 29, 2019
What is a swarmer good for anyway? Can't think of a situation where you would be willing to sacrifice a healthy princess to get Swarmers. Sure, you can then use multiple of the same queen and get more of a product quickly. BUT... If you already have few of the type you want, won't sacrificing one make the situation worse?
The swarmer block keeps the princess, and produces additional swarmer princesses. The swarmer block makes new hives appear around the alveary, while inside, the queen -> princess is unaffected. If you scoop out the new hives produced, you get the swarmer princesses which eventually die.

But, via mutation or overworking, it turns a princess into a swarmer princess, which you don't want.

TL;DR Swarmer block beneficial, mutation and overworking bad.

Chesham

Jul 29, 2019

I was just coming to post pretty much the same thing. In my experience you usually get the species serum within the first 5 bees, so this probably will work.

natnif36

Jul 29, 2019
5 bees? Well if we have injected the bee with 4x drones (from wintry) then that's theroretically coming off in 2 cycles, which with the new much longer lives of swarmer, should be more than enough to get the trait.

Another question, if I put a swarmer princess into an alveary, however have a swarmer block in that alveary, will that work to produce more swarmers?

And another, how frequently does a swarmer block produce hives?
And does it increas if you have more swarmer blocks?
And does that thaumatic bees stuff make them spawn more freqently, or does it just give you more per royal jelly?

Chesham

Jul 29, 2019
I'm doing some testing in my 1.4.7 setup, and it's definitely possible to do this in 1.4.7, so it should be easier in the newer versions. Swarmers appear to stack, I set up one automated alveary with 3 swarmers full of jelly and as of ~12 hours later I already have ~30 princesses. I don't know if the swarmer princess in your swarmer alveary would work, I don't think it would be worth it anyway, I think you're better off running a swarmer with a regular princess and injecting them with serums for mutating.