add fuel to peat engine

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

zaekeon

Jul 29, 2019
How can you use pipes to add fuel to the peat engine? I'm trying with redpower and it just adds items to ash inventory...do buildcraft pipes work different with it or is there another way?

Spikednate12

Nov 14, 2012
I haven't automated them myself yet. But i would suggest the pipe going into the bottom of the engine with a gate in it, then running pipe wire to your supply and adding another gate in the wooden pipe. Should pull peat automatically when its has none or to whatever specifications you set it to.

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
redpowert tubes are very side dependent when inputting into inventories. just try different sides until they go into the right inventory. i think it is the left side that let's you input into the fuel slot, and the right side that is used for taking the ashes out, but i might be misremembering. genreally speaking the side the inventory is on inside the gui will let you know what side connects to that inventory inventory.

Whovian

Jul 29, 2019
I tried the same thing, don't use RP2 Tubes. They just don't play well with Peat Engines for some reason, and probably a lot of other blocks. (For instance, a lot of blocks which "auto-output" to Pipes won't "auto-output" to tubes.) I know the Diamond Pipe system necessary is a pain to set up. Or maybe you can use GT Electric Translocators for Peat transfer. Then again, you probably aren't playing a pack with GT, so just set up a Diamond Pipe system which is a pain to set up. ;)

Antice

Jul 29, 2019
I tried the same thing, don't use RP2 Tubes. They just don't play well with Peat Engines for some reason, and probably a lot of other blocks. (For instance, a lot of blocks which "auto-output" to Pipes won't "auto-output" to tubes.) I know the Diamond Pipe system necessary is a pain to set up. Or maybe you can use GT Electric Translocators for Peat transfer. Then again, you probably aren't playing a pack with GT, so just set up a Diamond Pipe system which is a pain to set up. ;)

Blocks that auto output to pipes and inventories also output to relays. this was an intended feature of redpower, and is how it is supposed to work.
pipes will only accept inputs from certain redpower blocks and nothing else. the exception being the liquid tube. it will accept liquids from a BC pump and the TE accumulator.

Neirin

Jul 29, 2019
RP tubes connect to the ash inventory from the side opposite from the power output (the flat side). The peat inventory is accessed from the other sides (I've personally used 3 of them and assume the 4th works the same). I haven't messed around much with BC pipes, but from talking with other people my impression is that they should work just fine on any face except the one power gets pushed out of.

EDIT: I'd actually go with ayc's advice, I've always had my engines oriented in the same direction, so I wouldn't know if it's a direction thing instead of an engine orientation thing.

ayc

Jul 29, 2019
RP2 tubes are awesome, for peat engine :
- input on sides
- output on top or bottom

It doesn't matter wich side the engine is facing.

ThemsAllTook

Jul 29, 2019
Buildcraft pipes work fine. I have a setup where a pipe pulls peat out of a chest and into the engine when its fuel is low, and also receives ash from the engine (it gets output automatically to attached pipes without having to pump it out or anything), so the peat in the chest slowly gets replaced by ash. For this to work, you'll want to use an emerald pipe to only pull peat and not ash, or lay out your chest with peat at the top and a buffer of single ash items at the bottom so that it will stack up in those slots and not start getting pulled back into the engine.