1.7 Flagship pack and your guys thoughts, My question for the community.

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
There was another one, forgot the name but it was less buggy than RiM and looked close to redpower. Had all the functionality and similar texturing style.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
There won't be a Flagship pack. And we won't be making an "all the things pack"

You realize you are shouting against a hurricane here? Players *want* an all-the-things pack. And whichever pack you release with the most number of things, will become the defacto "all-the-things" pack with the additional burden that, now that it is perceived to be the all-the-things pack, the FTB team will be criticized for the exclusions.

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
You realize you are shouting against a hurricane here? Players *want* an all-the-things pack. And whichever pack you release with the most number of things, will become the defacto "all-the-things" pack with the additional burden that, now that it is perceived to be the all-the-things pack, the FTB team will be criticized for the exclusions.
Actually it seems the majority prefers the specialized packs... May be wrong though.
Of course, we have to factr in some people like some specialized packs and not others vs. One all the things pack.

Skullywag

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone ever take into account the people who play more than 1 pack?

Personally I dont see any of this being an issue really FTB can do what they want as a pack creation service. In 1.7 any old someone can make a pack now with little effort. Hence FTB not wanting to be the "any old someone" so will likely make highly customised focused packs or die in the sea of "all the things" packs.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Anyone ever take into account the people who play more than 1 pack?

Personally I dont see any of this being an issue really FTB can do what they want as a pack creation service. In 1.7 any old someone can make a pack now with little effort. Hence FTB not wanting to be the "any old someone" so will likely make highly customised focused packs or die in the sea of "all the things" packs.

I think a *lot* of people actually play FTB via a server. And on a server it is VERY VERY convenient to run a standard FTB pack as forge does not (yet) have a dynamic mod-on-demand downloading system. Users are stupid stupid people, and can not successfully add mods to their own install correctly, no matter how nicely you explain things. As such, server operators would much rather be able to say "Download FTB. Install pack <X>, and you can join the server".

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
I think a *lot* of people actually play FTB via a server. And on a server it is VERY VERY convenient to run a standard FTB pack as forge does not (yet) have a dynamic mod-on-demand downloading system. Users are stupid stupid people, and can not successfully add mods to their own install correctly, no matter how nicely you explain things. As such, server operators would much rather be able to say "Download FTB. Install pack <X>, and you can join the server".
I am pretty sure half the user-base plays multiple packs, but there is no way to tell how many. So we take each statistic as unrelated. Not only that, i am pretty sure half the user-base knows how to install mods... Wait no, this is why I am sad.

Reactions: Mevansuto

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Answering the OP:

Personally, I'm very much in favor of an "all the things" pack. At the very least, I find it extremely desirable to keep the configs unified over all mods used in any of the packs, so that I can create an "all the things" pack myself without having to put overmuch effort into adjusting configs.

Specifically, I do not like being limited to either technology or magic, or to one power system (though in the latter case, I see some demand for mod creators to make their mods support RF import/export).

Skullywag

Jul 29, 2019
I am pretty sure half the user-base plays multiple packs, but there is no way to tell how many. So we take each statistic as unrelated. Not only that, i am pretty sure half the user-base knows how to install mods... Wait no, this is why I am sad.
My point was that a lot of people will be making packs and therefore I expect a launcher to be adopted/created to handle this influx. FTB will not want to align with "the rabble"and I believe will change its offering to specialty modpacks. AAAAnd ive just backed up the thing I hate most about minecraft and modding and thats money. Its now a business that needs to make money so the business will change its offerings to appeal to its customers. Now the question of WHO those customers are cannot be answered by us, only FTB can square that one away.

GreenZombie

Jul 29, 2019
Answering the OP:
Personally, I'm very much in favor of an "all the things" pack. At the very least, I find it extremely desirable to keep the configs unified over all mods used in any of the packs, so that I can create an "all the things" pack myself without having to put overmuch effort into adjusting configs.

Specifically, I do not like being limited to either technology or magic, or to one power system (though in the latter case, I see some demand for mod creators to make their mods support RF import/export).

Pre 1.7, that purpose for the all-the-things pack was desirable. being able to mix and match mods without worrying about item id conflicts as something 'taken care of'.

However, the other aspect was less desirable. The all-the-things config carried along with it a lot of assumptions: if you use the monster / uiversal config, and disable TE, you will be in for a world of hurt as a lot of mods have their world gen disabled, and supplanted with CoFHWorld based custom generation. Many other mods have had some default's changed to some FTB team preference, you might install OpenBlocks and expect the (documented) gravestone functionality to work. It won't with default configs.

1.7 however, means that universal config is no longer required for item id's. Its beneficial to us to run without FTBs config - so we can actually run the mods at the authors default settings, or our own.

Ieldra

Popular Member
Apr 25, 2014
Pre 1.7, that purpose for the all-the-things pack was desirable. being able to mix and match mods without worrying about item id conflicts as something 'taken care of'.

However, the other aspect was less desirable. The all-the-things config carried along with it a lot of assumptions: if you use the monster / uiversal config, and disable TE, you will be in for a world of hurt as a lot of mods have their world gen disabled, and supplanted with CoFHWorld based custom generation. Many other mods have had some default's changed to some FTB team preference, you might install OpenBlocks and expect the (documented) gravestone functionality to work. It won't with default configs.

1.7 however, means that universal config is no longer required for item id's. Its beneficial to us to run without FTBs config - so we can actually run the mods at the authors default settings, or our own.
I don't know the specifics of 1.7 but.....ok, I trust this will not longer be a problem. However, what about mods that add variants of the same ore to world gen? I actually like the unified worldgen in the FTB packs, as imperfect as it is. I just wish I had an easier time of making adjustments to it.

And - to go back to the original question: I think preconfigured big modpacks that cover a variety of different styles rather than being more narrowly themed are still desirable for servers. The packs with a variety of styles tend to be more popular, and apart from that it's an issue of being easily identifiable. "I'm running FTB Monster with some adjustments you'll find in the FAQ" is a far easier answer to "What mods are you running on your server?" than a list with 150 individual mods.

Jadedcat

Jul 29, 2019

Nope.

1. Download numbers say people prefer themed packs.
2. If each and every pack has different mods.... how exactly are people going to pick the one with the most?[DOUBLEPOST=1401959763][/DOUBLEPOST]

Again, you are making odd assumptions. Current most installed pack on Servers in 1.6: Ag Skies. Which is definetly NOT an all the things pack.

ThorinNL

Jul 29, 2019
It really depends for me, I'm a single player and therefore have multiple packs to play with.

Themed packs are nice but, but can be an hassle to add mods to it (fighting id-conflicts and such for the lesser experienced ones of us) or even tossing mods out since it could break the pack.

An 'All included pack' would be nice, since everything is configured already.
You only need to toss out those mods you don't like (and personally I do have a few of those).

Kirameki

Jul 29, 2019
Nope.

1. Download numbers say people prefer themed packs.
2. If each and every pack has different mods.... how exactly are people going to pick the one with the most?[DOUBLEPOST=1401959763][/DOUBLEPOST]

Again, you are making odd assumptions. Current most installed pack on Servers in 1.6: Ag Skies. Which is definetly NOT an all the things pack.

I'm curious, are you also able to track actual user numbers? Downloads don't necessarily mean people are playing them, they may have downloaded, tried, and abandoned various packs to see what they prefer. Serverwise, while AS may be the most installed, are you also able to see if the majority of players are populating these servers or not?

ThatOneSlowking

Jul 29, 2019
It really depends for me, I'm a single player and therefore have multiple packs to play with.

Themed packs are nice but, but can be an hassle to add mods to it (fighting id-conflicts and such for the lesser experienced ones of us) or even tossing mods out since it could break the pack.

An 'All included pack' would be nice, since everything is configured already.
You only need to toss out those mods you don't like (and personally I do have a few of those).
Well 1.7 will fix IDConflicts
And we already have universal configs
So really your point has no evidence, even the lesser experienced of us can open up google, download a file, and drop it into a folder.

Reactions: Padfoote

HireAMercenary

Jul 29, 2019
anyone know if a list of mods has been made that list what mods are working on updating and what mods that have been abandon between 1.6 > 1.7