[1.7.10][LISTED] InfiTech 2 Modpack v3.2.21 [HQM][GregTech balanced hard-mode modpack]

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
That's one stack of redstone ore. Not that much, like I said from one stack of ore you would get about 2.11 dust. And Cadmium certainly isn't economical to produce, but if you don't have much lithium then it's not *that* unreasonable.

At low tech level its still grunt work, which means if you wanna sit around and spoon-feed machines for 25k extra storage per battery (@ LV), instead of shore up your power grid / generation capacity you're pretty daft - the time wasted spoon feeding those machines can be spent making steel for turbines, or even mining to get hold of better ores.
Besides, salt veins are pretty common in my experience and those stack up with mixed lithium ores (spodumene and lepidolite).
Like i said, Cadmium is simply not worth it for the time and energy (EU) you would spend getting hold of those extra few storage points, you're much better off searching for lithium / lithium by-productable ores and advancing to MV to make use of them.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
During my play I have found out that Iron, Gold and Copper Coils from ProjectRed aren't craftable. It is getting fixed in v2.0.9 (or if you want you can grab the fixed script for projectred on the github - on your own risk)

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Cool boss. Can't wait to see what's in store for the new season.
One big change... and that is i will not be alone. Although it will feel like I am or will not have a lot done in episodes, because my friend don't know jack sh*t about GT :) But I guess it will be interesting to see if my "explanations" will be of some use to him and maybe my viewers...But primary i am getting him to my LP world because he knows how to build nice looking things... which is something I lack (well... i am capable of making nice builds, but its taking me far too long, because I am never satisfied. Tried once to make a lets build video for the 1.5 (i think it was 1.5) Yogscast modpack, and it was just horrible :D

Earhbound

Jul 29, 2019
guys, i need your help!

my NEI behaves like being in cheat mode all the time even if recipe mode is turned on
i looked up the config and googled around but i cant find a solution
level.dat is in survival, no cheats

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
guys, i need your help!

my NEI behaves like being in cheat mode all the time even if recipe mode is turned on
i looked up the config and googled around but i cant find a solution
level.dat is in survival, no cheats

1. Try re download the pack (backing up your saves, waypoints, etc)

2. Does it still spawn stuff in even though no cheats are enabled in your SP world?

3. Start a new world, set cheats to disabled, test again.

If no 3. Still spawns stuff in something is seriously wrong with your instance :p

Sent from my iPhone

Earhbound

Jul 29, 2019
its not the pack, its NEI. a new created survival world works fine.

history:
created a new world in creative
edited level.dat to survival, no cheats
everything is fine but NEI

Earhbound

Jul 29, 2019
doublepost:

nevermind, i found it. just if anyone finds this thread:
NEI got its own folder in the SAVES file. open it and in there delete the folder with the worldname you got problems with.

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
I've entered the MV and am wondering if there is any particular reason I'd want to build high voltage generators. I can see how they'd save space and not require a transformer. But the fuel efficiency goes down as the voltage increases. Are the benefits of higher tier generators entirely material and space saving or is there something else I'm missing? Because at this stage I don't mind building 4 more LV generators to save on fuel rather than a single MV one.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I've entered the MV and am wondering if there is any particular reason I'd want to build high voltage generators. I can see how they'd save space and not require a transformer. But the fuel efficiency goes down as the voltage increases. Are the benefits of higher tier generators entirely material and space saving or is there something else I'm missing? Because at this stage I don't mind building 4 more LV generators to save on fuel rather than a single MV one.
You've basically successfully touched on every angle of the topic. I've harassed greg about this for months now; I think I've convinced him he's not 100% correct, but I don't see any changes coming on the horizon. His argument has been that many low-voltage machines incur losses through wires and transformers, which they do, but not nearly enough to offset that inefficiency.

In short, you're right, its usually best to construct "old, crappy technology" instead of "modern technology", especially if you build very compactly. 4 LV generators pointing directly into a transformer is always better than an MV generator.

Congrats on entering MV :)

Edit: I've used your post to harass him yet again on the IC2/Gregtech forum :p

Last edited:

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
His argument has been that many low-voltage machines incur losses through wires and transformers, which they do, but not nearly enough to offset that inefficiency.
Okay. I think the problem is that he sees a need to offset the efficiency loss. The inefficiency of low-voltage generators should be the drive to upgrade.
I kind of get the increased power cost of over clocking machines (though I think it's too high), as automating and managing a series of them is probably more than it's worth unless it's something that will be running all the time like basic low level ore processing. Also some recipies do require higher voltage so there's that...

However with the generators it makes no sense. Even when I was in LV I always bumped my power up to MV straight anyways for transport.

Haha hopefully this can be sorted out.

Thanks for the clarification! Time to build 12 more LV diesel gennies :p.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
You've basically successfully touched on every angle of the topic. I've harassed greg about this for months now; I think I've convinced him he's not 100% correct, but I don't see any changes coming on the horizon. His argument has been that many low-voltage machines incur losses through wires and transformers, which they do, but not nearly enough to offset that inefficiency.

In short, you're right, its usually best to construct "old, crappy technology" instead of "modern technology", especially if you build very compactly. 4 LV generators pointing directly into a transformer is always better than an MV generator.

Congrats on entering MV :)

I'm glad someone's harassing him about this because I can't see how it makes sense, with better technology comes more efficient power generation and machines.

Machines he's got sorted, more bi-products for example, and things that require MV, HV for example.

But for power generation, the better machines and materials you can create/craft should mean the more efficient and powerful this generation is.

You can understand the need to nerf it a bit though, the power requirement of the machines needing increase voltage/EU is a good trade off IMHO.

I'm hoping you got through to him @Pyure but I don't know how hard it would be to change the power generation stats. Would it break different mechanics he's already implemented? Or would it be quite simple, just change the efficiency of the EU generating blocks? Would require a lot of testing but I do hope it's in the works!

Sent from my iPhone

Reactions: MigukNamja

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I'm hoping you got through to him @Pyure but I don't know how hard it would be to change the power generation stats. Would it break different mechanics he's already implemented? Or would it be quite simple, just change the efficiency of the EU generating blocks? Would require a lot of testing but I do hope it's in the works!
Sent from my iPhone
How hard it would be for him to do? Removing the inefficiency would be a matter of altering a single line of code per generating block. Non-issue.

Grove

Jul 29, 2019
How hard it would be for him to do? Removing the inefficiency would be a matter of altering a single line of code per generating block. Non-issue.
Ahh see I don't know Java at all really, I've messed about with it but I've forgotten it by now!

If it's just one line of code I'll keep my hopes up high!

Sent from my iPhone

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019

After removing the variable you'd still have to go through and remove all the code that depends on it. Interface display, energy calculations. Then he'd likely need to recalculate the base energy gain (Nothing starts at 100%). Coding's always more work than you expect. But even with all that it's a rather trivial modification.

Personally I'd just scrap the higher tier generators entirely. I was never a fan of these simple blocks that produce gobs of energy (like the HV solar arrays), but that's personal preference...
It would be really cool if instead you'd stack the LV generators as a 2x2x2 (MV) or 4x4x4 (HV) add a multiblock controller block and get the higher tier power generator from it. But that WOULD be much more work and I think I have to keep dreaming.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
After removing the variable you'd still have to go through and remove all the code that depends on it. Interface display, energy calculations. Then he'd likely need to recalculate the base energy gain (Nothing starts at 100%). Coding's always more work than you expect. But even with all that it's a rather trivial modification.

Personally I'd just scrap the higher tier generators entirely. I was never a fan of these simple blocks that produce gobs of energy (like the HV solar arrays), but that's personal preference...
It would be really cool if instead you'd stack the LV generators as a 2x2x2 (MV) or 4x4x4 (HV) add a multiblock controller block and get the higher tier power generator from it. But that WOULD be much more work and I think I have to keep dreaming.
If I were programming the generators, I'd have a single definition for the energy output that gets referenced where required. I might even streamline enough that all generators depend on a single formula. So all the mechanisms that depend on it would already been fetching the revised calculation.

(fwiw, I'm developing stuff right now, web services in C# to be specific. Or I should be, except that I keep flipping back to forums because I distract easily...)

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
If I were programming the generators, I'd have a single definition for the energy output that gets referenced where required. I might even streamline enough that all generators depend on a single formula. So all the mechanisms that depend on it would already been fetching the revised calculation.

(fwiw, I'm developing stuff right now, web services in C# to be specific. Or I should be, except that I keep flipping back to forums because I distract easily...)

True enough. He probably has the value pre-calculated anyways as it doesn't change and just needs to chance it and delete the line from the tooltip.

Last edited:

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019

I think that would be better, would also shoot people in the foot who had been depending on RC turbines though :p

Reactions: Grove

Batch2

Jul 29, 2019
Quick question. If send power from a single MV transformer to a single LV transformer is it okay to use a 1amp cable? Usually I use 4amp cables because transformers output lower voltage at 4amps. However I just notice in one setup I'm using a 1amp cable and it's working fine... I'm guessing this is because the transformer only accepts 1 amp so that's all the gets sent eventhough the up stream one is capable of sending more.

Tyriael_Soban

Jul 29, 2019
I dont like to chance it personally, though you probably can do it that way.
As long as you neither try to exceed that 1 amp tolerance, or draw more eu/t than the cable can handle in one go, then you should be golden.
You can place the transformers flush against each other though and avoid needing/risking with that single cable :p

Edit: GT's wrench can be used to reorient IC2 transformers to facilitate in placing them flush against a GT transformer to create an interface.