[1.6.4] InfiTech Modpack [GregTech/Galacticraft hard-mode modpack] - DISCONTINUED

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Well its true that BR is making a lot of power, but there aren't many machines that needs RF/MJ... You have Quarries, AE, Forestry and Galacticraft. What I am thinking in doing for 2.1.5 update is lowering the power output of BRs. That actually seems like better solution than making it that much expensive. Even classic IC2 nuclear reactor is not "that" expensive.
I noticed that there weren't many opportunities to use RF. You missed Ender IO, which has some useful machines.

One obvious exploit is to use my RF to create EU. I'd be pretty tempted to run my stills and fermenters (which seem to have expensive energy costs now) from nuclear RF. I believe that's possible...?

As a positive, I don't see any way to create lava from RF. That would completely doom cheap-BR.

But if you want to stick with this idea, here is something to think about. You can make the casing to use combination of Steel and Meteoric Iron from Moon. So that will force you to go to moon, for which you need rocket and making rocket in InfiTech is post-mid tier. Tungstensteel is kinda end-tier which can make BRs kinda useless at that point.
[/quote]
Getting to the moon isn't end-tier? (I actually have no idea)
You're probably right about t-steel. Maybe stainless-steel instead would be more appropriate. Getting chrome dust plus the incredible eu-cost of cooking the s-steel dust makes it still fairly expensive.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Forestry machines needs 4x times more energy than normal, but yea you can "make EU from RF" only not directly. You need some infrastructure to make that happen. I was actually doing the same in alpha testing of the pack. Had tree farm, fermenter, squeezer and Diesel Generators to make EU.

To get to moon you "only" need iGrinder and Implossion Compressor. And well quite a lots of gunpowder for iTnTs.
But Stainless is also not bad idea.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Ok thanks, good input. I haven't needed an indudstrial compressor yet for anything, so I'll look into that.

I like where this is going. I'll push BR back a bit so its not intruding in the steam age, but you're right, making it end-tier isn't the right answer either.

In fact, going by the "official" tiers, my tech is currently in the early stages of Tier 3: Chrometanium Age. IIRC, right now you can almost build a BR in Tier 1 (after you make enough steel and find enough yellorium). My changes should gently nudge it into the end of Tier 3 as a potential gate into Tier 4: Fission Age.

Joe

Jul 29, 2019
Man, I didn't know someone made a modpack that combined galaticraft and gregtech. I might not have started on my modpack if I had known.

rxiv

Jul 29, 2019
I like where this is going. I'll push BR back a bit so its not intruding in the steam age, but you're right, making it end-tier isn't the right answer either.

In fact, going by the "official" tiers, my tech is currently in the early stages of Tier 3: Chrometanium Age. IIRC, right now you can almost build a BR in Tier 1 (after you make enough steel and find enough yellorium). My changes should gently nudge it into the end of Tier 3 as a potential gate into Tier 4: Fission Age.

Bevo set the Fuel usage to 14x in his TechPack - which is a good tradeoff between it being almost too easy to make and the cost to run it.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Bevo set the Fuel usage to 14x in his TechPack - which is a good tradeoff between it being almost too easy to make and the cost to run it.
Yeah; I have so much yellorium now, I'm tempted to do the same thing. Even with my revised "expensive" graphite solution, I'm still creating (relatively) large amounts of power very easily, and my quarry is digging up more yellorium all the time.

My only problem with jacking up the fuel consumption is that...nuclear power is supposed to be really buff. I hesitate to make the progression be coal->fission->treefarm, because it makes little sense (although environmentalists might disagree)

I'll need to revisit this if I want to avoid abusing the easy power. I'm thinking of maybe requiring yellorium to be centrifuged. Early centrifuges would give 1 tiny yellorium dust for an ingot. The Thermal Centrifuge would give 1 full dust. Wish there was a "better" centrifuge that would give 2 dusts as per the SAG Mill.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Someone mentioned that you could drive a BR turbine with railcraft steam. Is that true?

If so, is the flip also possible: Can I drive the railcraft steam turbine from a BR reactor? That would provide simple BR->EU power conversion.
Self: yes you can.

A 3x3 reactor will produce about 45% of a railcraft steam turbine's output.

A 5x5 easily gives you 100%. Takes 8 ender-io reservoirs to keep it watered tho.

Yay, easy BigReactors/EU power :)

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Just little heads up for 2.1.5 update:
Trying to find appropriate BR tweaks without changing recipes - Fuel usage: 14x and power production 1.5x (if someone can change it now in BigReactors.cfg and do some testing that would be awesome :) )
Big change for galacticraft: You will be able to use Alu Wires to transfer EU (also convert EU<>RF/MJ/kW) - this was needed because of little Infinite power exploit :( the ratio of conversion EU:RF will be "universal" 4RF = 1EU since every mod which can run on both energy types uses this ratio
And one more BIG change to galacticraft: If you will use Alu Wires to power GT machines they can explode if you will push more EU/t than the machine can handle - Example 1: MFE(512 OUT) > alu wire > macerator (MAX 32 IN) = BOOM; Example 2: RF power (more than 128RF/t > alu wire > macerator = also BOOM because 128RF/t = 32EU/t after conversion)

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Just little heads up for 2.1.5 update:
Trying to find appropriate BR tweaks without changing recipes - Fuel usage: 14x and power production 1.5x (if someone can change it now in BigReactors.cfg and do some testing that would be awesome :) )

If you tweak recipes instead, you'll ensure that fission power is still "awesome" but not "early game".

tangent: I was able to power a GT "large steam turbine" with a 5x5 reactor, once I used the control-rods enough to ensure I wasn't simply vapourizing water or something.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
I took the time to work on BR recipe tweaks. Big Reactors will be pushed to Tier3 - Chrometanium Age. I hope that will be last BR stuff and I will be able to work on something else :D

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
How would you guys feel about removing RC Steam Turbines and forcing ppl to go for the GT Steam Turbines?

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
I took the time to work on BR recipe tweaks. Big Reactors will be pushed to Tier3 - Chrometanium Age. I hope that will be last BR stuff and I will be able to work on something else :D
Sorry you had to sidetrack there. I don't think you really wanted fission in Tier1-2, so thanks for taking the time :)

How would you guys feel about removing RC Steam Turbines and forcing ppl to go for the GT Steam Turbines?
Believe it or not, I'm not sure its necessary at all with the tiering change in addition to the fuel consumption change ( I did change to 14x/1.5x btw). The problem really isn't so much the output of the reactor as the buffness of the reactor itself. Any changes should probably be to the tiering of the BR so that its still "as good as fission" but not too early.

Regarding the turbine: Its expensive as hell in steel when you're just getting into chrometanium; I had to create three more bronze blast furnaces to move things along (4 total + ind. blast furnace).

Its also freaking expensive as hell in nether quartz trying to keep the reactor watered. I currently have a 5x5 BR*. The control rods(4) are 90% closed. I have 16 RC water tanks + 7 EnderIO reservoirs barely keeping up with it.

To meet my water demands I'll have to start quarrying the nether or see if there's another water-creation block that I'm not familiar with.

* I also know next to nothing about BigReactors, so its possibly my setup is incredibly stupid.

Jason McRay

Jul 29, 2019
Main reason i asked about removal of RC steam turbines is how much you will be upset, because if you built them (like one of my dev team) it might make you without power :D

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Main reason i asked about removal of RC steam turbines is how much you will be upset, because if you built them (like one of my dev team) it might make you without power :D
I'd definitely be without power, since I just tore down my semi-fluid and thermal generators to make room for it :p

Don't stress my upset level. Just let us know in advance if you decide to pull the trigger.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
Follow up: what a disappointment. Both the GT and railcraft steam turbines seem to return like 0.5% of the water. No idea why.