Open 1.0.3: Carpenter's Blocks with Glow stone dust are not improving light levels

BobertThe3rd

Jul 29, 2019
Version:

What is the bug:
Version is actually 1.2.0, though this has been a problem since 1.0.3 Problem is that when you place a carpenter's block and shift click it with glowstone dust it DOES increase brightness, but it DOES NOT improve light levels for the purpose of mob spawning or crop growth.

I noticed this first when I had a mob spawning issue in my well-lit base, I ultimately just placed magnum torches and ignored it. Later I built and underground farm, which was also well-lit, but the wheat only grew in the center, kept thinking it was related to the water sources and some mod messing with farming until I decided to light the entire place up with vanilla torches. Turns out the only reason the center was growing was because one of the carpenter's blocks was perfectly aligned with all of the carpenter's blocks above it, allowing daylight to reach that one spot due to transparency, however the blocks themselves were not emitting light other than for visual purposes

Mod & Version:
Carpenter's Blocks

Paste.feed-the-beast.com log:

Can it be repeated:
build an entirely enclosed space. place carpenter's blocks and shift-click them with Glowstone dust to light the enclosed space. If you replace walls or ceilings with the carpenter's block make sure it is covered on the outside with a solid block. step back and watch the mobs spawn. Alternatively plant wheat in the enclosed space and watch it NOT grow.

Known Fix:
Not really a fix, but use other light sources.

Ghazlawl

Jul 29, 2019
Confirmed. This is happening to me as well. I've eliminated all other light sources, using only Carpenter's Blocks + Glowstone Dust and while it does increase the light levels to above normal, I still get mobs in my base. Thanks for posting this! I had been suspicious after a few surprise creeper explosions and this helped to confirm my suspicions.

Thanks!