Ask a simple question, get a simple answer

• Please make sure you are posting in the correct place. Server ads go here and modpack bugs go here

MortalDanger

Jul 29, 2019
What's your best RF generating method? Using Magmatic Dynamos right now but would rather have something self sustaining and with better output. Need too many magmatic engines.

efr44738

Jul 29, 2019
What's your best RF generating method? Using Magmatic Dynamos right now but would rather have something self sustaining and with better output. Need too many magmatic engines.
I typically see up a tree farm and dump the charcoal into exutil generators. I typically make 2 banks, 8 long and when consumption exceeds production I upgrade em to 8x, then 64x. This is in 1.7 so your version/mod pack matters.

Someone Else 37

Forum Addict
Feb 10, 2013
If you have late-game Rotarycraft technology, the only thing that beats gas turbines and rotational dynamoes (a single turbine w/ dynamo produces a little more than 10k RF/t, last I checked) is ReactorCraft.

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
(a single turbine w/ dynamo produces a little more than 10k RF/t, last I checked)

11,950 RF/t, to be precise. The only way to even receive this kind of output is to point the dynamo directly at a tesseract - neither conduits nor resonant cells have enough throughput (though who knows, maybe some of the other mods capable of transferring RF have uncapped cables).

DriftinFool

Jul 29, 2019
How are people chunk loading in 1.7.10? Seems chicken chunks isn't out for it. I don't really want Railcraft or MFR just to have a chunkloader. Playing a semi lite pack based around Reika's mods with a few goodies added in and those giant mods just don't fit.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
How are people chunk loading in 1.7.10? Seems chicken chunks isn't out for it. I don't really want Railcraft or MFR just to have a chunkloader. Playing a semi lite pack based around Reika's mods with a few goodies added in and those giant mods just don't fit.
If you have buildcraft installed you could always plop down a quarry in the chunk(s) you want to keep loaded, as you said there is the chunkloaders from MFR and Railcraft, or I believe that there is a way to do it with witchery, DQMOT though as I haven't really used the mod

pc_assassin

Jul 29, 2019

Chickens Chunks By Chickenbones has finally updated to 1.7.10

http://chickenbones.net/Pages/links.html

Sent From Something That You Won't Care About Using Tapatalk 2

RavynousHunter

Jul 29, 2019
Tree farm, Big Reactors, a pair of MFR Laser Drills (one tuned for yellorite, the other for coal), Ender IO, a lot of water, and a lot of HSLA steel, and you can get yourself a basic pebble bed reactor from ReactorCraft that can crank out, if memory serves, around 100,000RF/t. Oh, and if you want the best in RF transport, ElectriCraft. Seriously, those RF cables are incredible and you can set their throughput, and they have no cap outside that which Java can handle itself.

Reactions: Wagon153

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
Is there like some magical way to get 1.7.10 to run better? I get a max of 25fps with my i5 3350p + 6870 + 8gb of ram.

I already have fastcraft installed, playing with some outdated mods, if anyone knows any mods that have been updated recently to increase there performance please let me know.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Is there like some magical way to get 1.7.10 to run better? I get a max of 25fps with my i5 3350p + 6870 + 8gb of ram.

I already have fastcraft installed, playing with some outdated mods, if anyone knows any mods that have been updated recently to increase there performance please let me know.
1.7.10 is really buggy at the best of times, fastcraft is the only mod, I know of, which makes it a little more playable, but other than that, nope :/

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019

As a rule you should always keep your mods updated. Even if they don't say it in the changelogs, performance optimizations could have been done. Also try lowering your graphics settings and making sure VSync is off. And never more then 4 gigs of RAM dedicated.

Hambeau

Over-Achiever
Jul 24, 2013

The best results I've seen is to try and pre-gen any chunks you may want to visit, or put up with poor operation while in new areas. My system (AMD FX-8350, nVidia 9600, 8GB ram) starts and stops lik a car with water in the gas tank in new lands, but if I stick to places I've already been it runs at 80+ fps.

[Edit] Also, what Wagon153 said, particularly about Vsync and client ram allocation... Java seems to be particularly brain-dead when it comes to cleaning up unused memory beyond a 4GB limit. I do run my video at top graphics settings, though.

Last edited:

Omicron

Jul 29, 2019
Graphics settings are irrelevant in 1.7.10 with that kind of video card (see link in signature). The only thing you can reduce for better performance is view distance. Set it to "9 chunks" to get the same performance as 1.6.4 had on "Far", because 1.6.4 was bugged and never actually loaded chunks beyond "Normal". 1.7 fixed that bug, which is mainly why your framerate suddenly took a nosedive. It's not a bug, it's a bugfix! (Though 1.7 has its own, different issues)

I'll echo the bit about RAM, and I'll go further: so long as it doesn't crash, do not go above 2GB heap space and 160MB permgen space. That's already excessive for a mere client. On a big server you can justify 3-4 GB heap and 256MB permgen, but a client alone has no means to use it and will just create suffer from extra management overhead.

Vanilla 1.8 on 32 chunks view distance was actually the only time I've ever seen Minecraft crash with a heap space error (on its default 1 GB allocation), but then I don't usually run the truly ginormous packs because I prefer more focused experiences.

hisagishi

Jul 29, 2019
How does node combining work? They are just feeding off each other, I wanted one bigger node not two meh ones.

jordsta95

Jul 29, 2019
Node bullying. If you have 2 nodes, lets say for this example you have a ignis 40 and an ignis 20... If my understanding is correct, over time the ignis 40 will take aspects from the ignis 20, making your ignis 20 smaller, but your ignis 40 bigger.
Just remember, they need to be close to eachother

PhilHibbs

Forum Addict
Trusted User
Jan 15, 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
I'm using a Bibliocraft printing press for the first time. I made a typesetting table and a printing press, placed a chase and an enchanted book on the typesetting table, and applied a redstone signal. That got me a Print Press Plate that says "Select a book" and the original enchanted book is still on the table. What do I do next? *Edit* I figured out what I did wrong, I used a new chase and did it right, but now is there anything I can do with the useless plate?

Also, is there a faster way to turn Mob Essence into levels than a straw?

Last edited: