Recent Events Discussion (RED) Thread

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.
Maybe I'm really uncreative, but I struggle to find ways to generate power that are not:
  • Renewable power (solar, wind etc.)
  • "Put X in get power out"

Boilers are slightly better.
Though I'd recommend turning buckets off so you can't move 'infinite' water about. (thus relying on remote pumping stations or designing a closed loop)​

But you've basically summed up 95% of modded power. (magic and tech).

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
But you've basically summed up 95% of modded power. (magic and tech).
Magic mods focus less on the power, and more what to do with said power, whereas tech mods are heavily focused and balanced around power generation. Look at Witchery, its entire power system is "have there be natural stuff- get a lot of power", because you are supposed to focus on things you can do with the power (rites, brews, etc.)

Strikingwolf

Jul 29, 2019
Magic mods focus less on the power, and more what to do with said power, whereas tech mods are heavily focused and balanced around power generation. Look at Witchery, its entire power system is "have there be natural stuff- get a lot of power", because you are supposed to focus on things you can do with the power (rites, brews, etc.)
Magic and Tech are two sides of a coin

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
A good example is the ReactorCraft stuff. It is a setup that makes sense, and instead of put X in get power out. It is a complex chain of events
But it is still something you put into a machine to get power. It just takes more steps and more time to produce more power.

squeek502

Jul 29, 2019
Except such a mod, if developed, and I am open to do so, will get a negative response from the community because "RF is supposed to be simple."
That's the entire challenge of game design, though. It's entirely possible to keep something simple while increasing depth (depth meaning the amount of viable choices that the user has). However, if you introduce complex mechanics without increasing depth, you probably will be criticized (deservedly, in my opinion).

A quick example of depth vs complexity: if you're playing an FPS game, and you have two guns that are different enough to not be sure exactly which one to use in which situation, but you know that they are both totally viable, that can be incredibly deep but is also incredibly simple. Now, extrapolate that to having 15 or 20 different weapons, all with different use cases. Now you've introduced a complex system that is certainly more deep (given that more than 2 weapons are viable at a time), but it may not be worth the added complexity (are all weapons really viable? It's doubtful; therefore you're putting the onus on the user to narrow down the choices to the few viable options in any given situation themselves, and at that point you are just raising the barrier to entry for no real benefit).

Arkandos

Jul 29, 2019
This is the big difference to me. The standard dynamo's are to small and very compact. In a good power gen, I would expect piping steam from a dynamo into a turbine or such.
I also like long processing chains. But in the end, it's the same as a standard dynamo.

Celestialphoenix

Too Much Free Time
Nov 9, 2012
Tartarus.. I mean at work. Same thing really.

So tech mods need more machines/stuff to run with said power?

Magic and Tech are two sides of a coin

Tech/magic are exactly the same- except in how its presented/interpreted.
Thaumcraft becomes a tech mod just by renaming the items
Golems=Robots
Wand=Wrench
Nodes=Tesla Coils
Infusion Alter= Workshop
Research Table= Drafting Table
Notes/Theories= Blueprints
Aspects become rivets/screw/bolts/solder ect...​

Last edited:

SatanicSanta

Jul 29, 2019
So tech mods need more machines/stuff to run with said power?
No, that's not what I meant. What I meant was that, generally, magic mods do not focus on the generation side of things, where tech mods do. Tech mods are typically balanced around the production of power, which you can then use to make cool things.

If I'm not being clear enough I apologize; I'm absurdly tired.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
Getting caught back up with the WNIMM thread

BC won't be, at least long-term. It's too old-school and widely used for no one to pick it back up if it gets tossed. Though, I really doubt it will. MJ, on the other hand, I worry about.
agreed. i worry about mj, as i like it quite a lot.

Reactions: Padfoote

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Getting caught back up with the WNIMM thread

BC won't be, at least long-term. It's too old-school and widely used for no one to pick it back up if it gets tossed. Though, I really doubt it will. MJ, on the other hand, I worry about.
My problem is that it seems that over the last few months, BC was on the receiving end of a lot of negative publicity regarding its performance (often used as the 'worse alternative' when performance of other mods was being discussed), much of which is either untrue or from its rock-solid stability, but nonetheless severely cut its userbase.

Qazplm601

Lord of the Tumbleweeds
Sep 21, 2013
Where else?
n1srHET.gif

ShneekeyTheLost

Too Much Free Time
Dec 8, 2012
Lost as always
My problem is that it seems that over the last few months, BC was on the receiving end of a lot of negative publicity regarding its performance (often used as the 'worse alternative' when performance of other mods was being discussed), much of which is either untrue or from its rock-solid stability, but nonetheless severely cut its userbase.
It also has an annoying tendency to drop anything it doesn't know what to do with on the ground which can lag out a whole server if you aren't careful. I much prefer Ducts as a whole. They're just... cleaner.

Pipes were okay back in the day when there were no alternatives. Then RP2 Tubes showed up and they were only used very early game before you had brass up and running. Now we have alternatives that are strictly superior.