How to start RotaryCraft?

Optibane

Jul 29, 2019
What do you think of using higher power levels to produce increasingly fine ore dusts? Finer dusts could be combined at more specific ratios to create stronger alloys or something. I'm thinking of the various grades of steel depending on the carbon content and other additives. It's realistic, but would have to be made simple enough that it's not just a bunch of busy work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Truga

Jul 29, 2019
This thread and others like it show a worrying trend - the first machine people often try to run is either the bedrock breaker, the extractor, or the gas turbine. All three of these are further into the techtree than the combustion engine is into BC or the tesseract is into TE3.

Well, I started with just 9 steam engines. Coupled with netherrack, they're very easy for "infinite" power. 1 engine for the water pump, for the 9 engines and a crapton of sprinklers, 4 engines for the grinder to make lube, and the last 4 engines to produce the 64kW needed to run the extractor. The actual main issue I encountered was a lack of gunpowder for the blast furnace, because couldn't find any sulfur, and had terrible luck with creepers dropping any, and the first two gunpowders I got both got used up after a dozen or so runs.

The extractor IS slow at this point, but then again, I have tons of stuff to do while it's grinding away at this early stage (making a decent food supply, digging rooms for other stuff, trying to find gunpowder :argh:, etc). Every now and then when I went past it, I'd hit the gearbox with a screwdriver to change between 1+4 and 2+3, and eventually it spat out 10 or so stacks of iron, among other things. This is, of course, before any kind of automated mining or anything.

After I extracted a bunch of iron, and ground a couple reservoirs worth of lube, I made a hydrostatic engine to power the bedrock breaker, which opened up "free" mob farming (bedrock sword+armour = easy mode), giving me access to large amounts of jet fuel to run the micro and gas turbines, giving ludicrous amount of energy, considering my actual "tech level" at that point.

TL;DR, starting on rotarycraft is fairly easy. You need some gunpowder to run the blast furnace for steel and a couple of steam engines and netherracks for never ending power requiring only some water. Could probably get away with just 4 steams and a DC engine+pump or an aqueous accumulator, switching between extractor and grinder as necessary until you have a bunch of buckets of spare lube and a hydrostatic, to run the bedrock breaker. The only "fuel" needed being water. Then again, isn't rotarycraft endgame pretty much reactorcraft at this point? That takes a lot more planning and investment than anything in rotarycraft anyway.

All that being said, I do exactly the same thing with all the other mods. I take the least resource intensive way to get to the best ore reprocessing machines, make them run, often for hours on end due to inappropriate power generation used, while building other stuff, sleeping, being at work, etc., and when I come back to actually requiring the heavy machinery I already have tons of the metals I need.

Last edited:

null123

Mar 27, 2014
Well, I started with just 9 steam engines. Coupled with netherrack, they're very easy for "infinite" power. 1 engine for the water pump, for the 9 engines and a crapton of sprinklers, 4 engines for the grinder to make lube, and the last 4 engines to produce the 64kW needed to run the extractor. The actual main issue I encountered was a lack of gunpowder for the blast furnace, because couldn't find any sulfur, and had terrible luck with creepers dropping any, and the first two gunpowders I both got used up after a dozen or so runs.

The extractor IS slow at this point, but then again, I have tons of stuff to do while it's grinding away at this early stage (making a decent food supply, digging rooms for other stuff, trying to find gunpowder :argh:, etc). Every now and then when I went past it, I'd hit the gearbox with a screwdriver to change between 1+4 and 2+3, and eventually it spat out 10 or so stacks of iron, among other things. This is, of course, before any kind of automated mining or anything.

After I extracted a bunch of iron, and ground a couple reservoirs worth of lube, I made a hydrostatic engine to power the bedrock breaker, which opened up "free" mob farming (bedrock sword+armour = easy mode), giving me access to large amounts of jet fuel to run the micro and gas turbines, giving ludicrous amount of energy, considering my actual "tech level" at that point.

TL;DR, starting on rotarycraft is fairly easy. You need some gunpowder to run the blast furnace for steel and a couple of steam engines and netherracks for never ending power requiring only some water. Could probably get away with just 4 steams and a DC engine+pump or an aqueous accumulator, switching between extractor and grinder as necessary until you have a bunch of buckets of spare lube and a hydrostatic, to run the bedrock breaker. The only "fuel" needed being water. Then again, isn't rotarycraft endgame pretty much reactorcraft at this point? That takes a lot more planning and investment than anything in rotarycraft anyway.

All that being said, I do exactly the same thing with all the other mods. I take the least resource intensive way to get to the best ore reprocessing machines, make them run, often for hours on end due to inappropriate power generation used, while building other stuff, sleeping, being at work, etc., and when I come back to actually requiring the heavy machinery I already have tons of the metals I need.
All this REALLY makes me wish that rotarycraft was in Resonant Rise :(

Reactions: NegaNote

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
I've seen this posted already, but @Reika if we're all skipping earlier things and going straight to high end stuff, maybe it's because the lower tier stuff is boring/useless? I mean, the automatic farming via fans and sprinklers, for example. Why bother? I mean, sure, if I only have RoC and no dedicated automatic farming mods, sure, I'd check it out. But this is not the case.
The first "useful" machine I've seen looking through the guide book was the ore processor. Everything before that was Meh. Sure, some of it was needed for running some engines or using gear boxes or whatever; doesn't matter since everything at those earlier tiers were honestly just stepping stones to useful things.
Unless you count the Boring Machine. But that's still weak a hell at 0 W.

Reactions: Pyure

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I've seen this posted already, but @Reika if we're all skipping earlier things and going straight to high end stuff, maybe it's because the lower tier stuff is boring/useless? I mean, the automatic farming via fans and sprinklers, for example. Why bother? I mean, sure, if I only have RoC and no dedicated automatic farming mods, sure, I'd check it out. But this is not the case.
The first "useful" machine I've seen looking through the guide book was the ore processor. Everything before that was Meh. Sure, some of it was needed for running some engines or using gear boxes or whatever; doesn't matter since everything at those earlier tiers were honestly just stepping stones to useful things.
Unless you count the Boring Machine. But that's still weak a hell at 0 W.
A lot of them are things that make your life much easier in the early game:
  • Autobreeder (Automated animal breeding) @ 16kW
  • Mob Radar @ 8kW
  • Scaleable Chest (large storage chest) @ 4kW
  • Woodcutter (Automated tree farming) @ 16kW
  • Friction Heater (Fuel-free and often accelerated smelting) @ 8 kW
  • Arrow Gun (Automatic Arrow Dispenser + additional damage) @ 1kW
  • Fertilizer (Plant growth acceleration) @ 1kW
  • Water Aggregator (Out-of-thin-air water production) @ 8kW
  • Lava Smeltery (Smelting 18 items at once) @ 2kW + some lava
  • Fluid Crystallizer (Making stone, ender pearls, ice, et cetera from their molten forms) @2kW
  • Grindstone (tool repair) @ 16kW
  • Pneumatic Item Pump (high speed item transport) @ 1kW
Then again, isn't rotarycraft endgame pretty much reactorcraft at this point? That takes a lot more planning and investment than anything in rotarycraft anyway.
ReactorCraft is designed so that you need to keep going back to RotaryCraft in order to use it.

eric167

Jul 29, 2019
well ive been continuing on my little journey into the mod.

separate, I have a small TE setup with a culinary generator, hardened energy cell, and the pulverizer/furnace/smelter.

I have an aqueous accumulator feeding water to the steam engines and extractor.
5 steam engines right now, 4 for the grinder, 1 for running two fermenters.
gasoline engine running through a multi-clutch and two 16x gear units. slow as molasses on a cold day, but it works. may stick a 30-second(ish) timer on the clutch.

next up: auto farming trees and sugarcane. and an ME network.

how would you recommend I set up an early-game decent-output sugarcane farm? don't care what mods I use here.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
well ive been continuing on my little journey into the mod.

separate, I have a small TE setup with a culinary generator, hardened energy cell, and the pulverizer/furnace/smelter.

I have an aqueous accumulator feeding water to the steam engines and extractor.
5 steam engines right now, 4 for the grinder, 1 for running two fermenters.
gasoline engine running through a multi-clutch and two 16x gear units. slow as molasses on a cold day, but it works. may stick a 30-second(ish) timer on the clutch.

next up: auto farming trees and sugarcane. and an ME network.

how would you recommend I set up an early-game decent-output sugarcane farm? don't care what mods I use here.
The easiest way I know of is with Expanded Redstone and the block breaker, especially if you are willing to spend a diamond pick or two (for a 16-block range). Even if not, however, they run on redstone alone.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
A lot of them are things that make your life much easier in the early game:
  • Autobreeder (Automated animal breeding) @ 16kW
  • Mob Radar @ 8kW
  • Scaleable Chest (large storage chest) @ 4kW
  • Woodcutter (Automated tree farming) @ 16kW
  • Friction Heater (Fuel-free and often accelerated smelting) @ 8 kW
  • Arrow Gun (Automatic Arrow Dispenser + additional damage) @ 1kW
  • Fertilizer (Plant growth acceleration) @ 1kW
  • Water Aggregator (Out-of-thin-air water production) @ 8kW
  • Lava Smeltery (Smelting 18 items at once) @ 2kW + some lava
  • Fluid Crystallizer (Making stone, ender pearls, ice, et cetera from their molten forms) @2kW
  • Grindstone (tool repair) @ 16kW
  • Pneumatic Item Pump (high speed item transport) @ 1kW

ReactorCraft is designed so that you need to keep going back to RotaryCraft in order to use it.
With the exception of the Fluid Crystalizer and the Mob Radar, though, I have plenty of other options for all of those. And the Grindstone, but seriously, not many people use tools that can be damaged or even stay damaged for long since TiC exists.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
With the exception of the Fluid Crystalizer and the Mob Radar, though, I have plenty of other options for all of those. And the Grindstone, but seriously, not many people use tools that can be damaged or even stay damaged for long since TiC exists.
I personally prefer the auto feeder from rotary craft then any other item that does that, simply because it is much cheaper. Only 5 base plates? I'll take that. Especially when the rotary craft blast furnace is much more efficient then any other method of making steel in the mods.

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
I personally prefer the auto feeder from rotary craft then any other item that does that, simply because it is much cheaper. Only 5 base plates? I'll take that. Especially when the rotary craft blast furnace is much more efficient then any other method of making steel in the mods.
Also, these machines (like all of RC) are designed with vanilla+RC in mind.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure I agree with it being "much more efficient" at making steel, honestly. I mean, for one, RC takes two iron for one steel, which sucks, but whatever. GT? 1 Ingot plus some carbon = Steel.
And Tinkerers Steelworks? Same deal(except needs sand as well), and still outputs at equal rates to iron input.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Not sure I agree with it being "much more efficient" at making steel, honestly. I mean, for one, RC takes two iron for one steel, which sucks, but whatever. GT? 1 Ingot plus some carbon = Steel.
And Tinkerers Steelworks? Same deal(except needs sand as well), and still outputs at equal rates to iron input.
The rotary craft blast furnace gives the chance for extra steel, as well as being able to do nine ingots for one coal/charcoal. And it doesn't use the sand and gunpowder a whole lot to be honest. Faster too.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
Also, these machines (like all of RC) are designed with vanilla+RC in mind.
Ah, that explains why they all are useless to me and seemingly most other people here; they aren't balanced for a modpack enviroment. Well, I mean, they aren't gonna be used in a modpack with other options since they aren't much better then the alternatives at a glance(even if they may be, they sure as hell don't look it).[DOUBLEPOST=1396534223][/DOUBLEPOST]
The rotary craft blast furnace gives the chance for extra steel, as well as being able to do nine ingots for one coal/charcoal. And it doesn't use the sand and gunpowder a whole lot to be honest. Faster too.
So it's cheaper on totally renewable resources and uses less sand overall then other options(and sand is still renewable), has a chance to output more of it's steel, and still isn't really making steel unless you change a config line to make it usable as RC steel.
...What's so groundbreaking here again?

Reika

RotaryCraft Dev
FTB Mod Dev
Sep 3, 2013
Toronto, Canada
sites.google.com
Ah, that explains why they all are useless to me and seemingly most other people here; they aren't balanced for a modpack enviroment. Well, I mean, they aren't gonna be used in a modpack with other options since they aren't much better then the alternatives at a glance(even if they may be, they sure as hell don't look it)
A quick purview of my thread, or this forum, or YouTube begs to differ.

Wagon153

Jul 29, 2019
Makes some rotary craft machines and items preferrable due to them being cheaper in the end.

YX33A

Jul 29, 2019
A quick purview of my thread, or this forum, or YouTube begs to differ.
We have a automated farming system that relies on water and fans but doesn't work on everything, a "fuel-free" furnace heating system that was done ages ago by Industrialization, a way to generate water from air(main benefit: works in the nether), a chest that can hold more stuff if you give it more power(and if power drops below a cutoff value all "extra slots" are locked off until one gets it more power), and the item transfer system sends 1 item per kW you give it, meaning one has to give to 64 kW to match some baseline systems, and while it has no upper limit, it still takes a kW per item, woodcutting that is cool and all but is hardly a selling point here... need I go on? They are all great if you have no other options; but if you do, well, those other options still are usually preferable since they are well known systems. Even I'm somewhat stuck in my ways. I just realize that if the early game things were a bit more diverse then just automated farming and assorted stuff like that, chances are more people would see early game RoC as just as useful.

Pyure

Not Totally Useless
Aug 14, 2013
Waterloo, Ontario
We have a automated farming system that relies on water and fans but doesn't work on everything, a "fuel-free" furnace heating system that was done ages ago by Industrialization, a way to generate water from air(main benefit: works in the nether), a chest that can hold more stuff if you give it more power(and if power drops below a cutoff value all "extra slots" are locked off until one gets it more power), and the item transfer system sends 1 item per kW you give it, meaning one has to give to 64 kW to match some baseline systems, and while it has no upper limit, it still takes a kW per item, woodcutting that is cool and all but is hardly a selling point here... need I go on? They are all great if you have no other options; but if you do, well, those other options still are usually preferable since they are well known systems. Even I'm somewhat stuck in my ways. I just realize that if the early game things were a bit more diverse then just automated farming and assorted stuff like that, chances are more people would see early game RoC as just as useful.
Mod-value-inflation ftl :) Nobody wants anything that isn't at least as good as what was there before. As a result, we have, well, BigReactors etc. The best pulverizer in the house is now x5 (Extractor), but tomorrow it has to be *7 or its garbage.

The best solution is for modders to make things as configurable as possible. My gripe with, say, the woodcutter, is that its still less effective than an MFR harvester for range.* But that's something that could be easily added as a config item (I'm assuming it isn't already; I've never looked at the RotaryCraft configs). Ditto the Fans: allow me to configure that if a plantIDX is hit with a fan, it automatically replants seedIDY and produces produceIDZ.

* As of a test done weeks ago.

Reactions: abculatter_2