Gregtech recipes = ridiculous?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kells117

Jul 29, 2019
Are geothermal generators more expensive? Cause if not they would be a good power source

Mikey_R

Jul 29, 2019
On default settings, Geothermals are left alone (I don't even know if Gregtech has a harder recipe for them).

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Are geothermal generators more expensive? Cause if not they would be a good power source
Nah, they're are still the super cheap recipe. I prefer to use them as I'm keeping empty cells to fill with lava with me and that's enough for my energy needs right now. Solar panels are the only generator that are changed by default in FTB. Water and wind mills would have more expensive recipes in Gregtech but that's disabled for now.

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
water mills are near useless with out RP anyway, there power output is way to low unless you make tones of them then you need glass fiber as the loss from copper would make the whole build moot, windmills are only a stop gap on the way to a better power network again requiring a lot of glass fiber to get to the 9 or more blocks of clear sky, for me I pass over both as it seems a waste of resources.

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
water mills are near useless with out RP anyway, there power output is way to low unless you make tones of them then you need glass fiber as the loss from copper would make the whole build moot, windmills are only a stop gap on the way to a better power network again requiring a lot of glass fiber to get to the 9 or more blocks of clear sky, for me I pass over both as it seems a waste of resources.
Tin (Ultra Low Voltage) works well for low output generators. (same loss distance as Glass fiber but much cheaper)

egor66

Jul 29, 2019
true tin can work I stand corrected, for my self I prefer steves carts & foresty for near the same mats you get a system that can out put far more power (BC & IC2) & can be extended with ease, plus has secondary mats that are excess from the system that can be used to start making scrap with out the need for cobble gen or quarry run off.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
Yeah tin cable for water mills, wind mills and solars (basic). But if the cable is longer than 40 blocks it will lose 1 EU per packet so all the EU is lost.

diggerjohn99

Jul 29, 2019
The centrifuge isn't hard to use, just put tin cans in the top left slot and what you want to centrifuge in the middle, bearing in mind you generally need more than one of the item (NEI tells you all of this including the time it takes to centrifuge the items).
That's not what I am saying at all, it takes an INSANE amount of power to run.

Enigmius1

Jul 29, 2019
Just for those who are complaining about the (admittedly unintuitive) "official" wiki page on the IC2 wiki, there is a community-driven one that is much clearer and more up-to-date, here: http://gregtech-addon.wikispaces.com.

Thanks for the link. I did a bit of digging around. Some things represented an improvement. Many were still cut and paste from the mod author. Probably best that I withhold additional comment ;D

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
true tin can work I stand corrected, for my self I prefer steves carts & foresty for near the same mats you get a system that can out put far more power (BC & IC2) & can be extended with ease, plus has secondary mats that are excess from the system that can be used to start making scrap with out the need for cobble gen or quarry run off.
So do I, haven't built a watermill since 1.2.5 when they were nice and abusable with RP2, I only ever build one solar panel (hybrid currently, with compact solars it was the first compact one) as well and that is just to provide the standby power for the machines so my other generators aren't constantly going, when sounds were in the noise of various gens running up and down drove me nuts.

Daemonblue

Jul 29, 2019
So do I, haven't built a watermill since 1.2.5 when they were nice and abusable with RP2, I only ever build one solar panel (hybrid currently, with compact solars it was the first compact one) as well and that is just to provide the standby power for the machines so my other generators aren't constantly going, when sounds were in the noise of various gens running up and down drove me nuts.

You can still do the whole auto-bucket thing with Thermal Expansion and Buildcraft, though after testing it it's really a complete and total hassle considering all that you have to put into the system to get it to work (autarchic gate, diamond pipe, aqeuous accumulator, and a liquid transposer with power). So yea, possible, but definitely not worth it.

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
I'm testing 1.4.5 here and oh boy is this is so "fun". The much spoken about industrial blast furnace is even harder to get than the railcraft version. You need to make two induction furnaces for its recipe and industrial centrifuge to get nickel for cupronickel heating coils which have a recipe that makes 3 but the blast furnace needs 4 and that's the only use for it. That's just being an asshole. And then you make a casing for it with the railcraft blast furnace style using circuits and refined iron making it pretty goddamn expensive. And when you get the steel you can improve it by making casings out of steel instead effectively wasting the previously made casing as you can't reclaim its materials. You can even make even more advanced casing again wasting the previous one.

Industrial grinder also needs 3 diamond grinders when their recipe makes 2 and again it is the only use for them. And what you do with that machine is get tiny amounts of extra resourcers for ludicrous energy costs of 12800 EU per ore processed at the speed of 5 seconds for operation so it uses 128EU/t. It has 82 different recipes, talk about redundancy. For the most part it makes fortune obsolete if you can handle the energy hog, slowly killing the need for experience for anything, looting sword is the only thing that would be "needed".

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I'm testing 1.4.5 here and oh boy is this is so "fun". The much spoken about industrial blast furnace is even harder to get than the railcraft version. You need to make two induction furnaces for its recipe and industrial centrifuge to get nickel for cupronickel heating coils which have a recipe that makes 3 but the blast furnace needs 4 and that's the only use for it. That's just being an asshole. And then you make a casing for it with the railcraft blast furnace style using circuits and refined iron making it pretty goddamn expensive. And when you get the steel you can improve it by making casings out of steel instead effectively wasting the previously made casing as you can't reclaim its materials. You can even make even more advanced casing again wasting the previous one.

Industrial grinder also needs 3 diamond grinders when their recipe makes 2 and again it is the only use for them. And what you do with that machine is get tiny amounts of extra resourcers for ludicrous energy costs of 12800 EU per ore processed at the speed of 5 seconds for operation so it uses 128EU/t. It has 82 different recipes, talk about redundancy. For the most part it makes fortune obsolete if you can handle the energy hog, slowly killing the need for experience for anything, looting sword is the only thing that would be "needed".

You can always make the 2nd and 3rd Industrial blast furnace/grinders controller box, that multiblock casings can support 4 (four).. 12800 eu is a lot? lol..

Hint: use it along with Advanced Solar Panel (turn on the expensive recipe)..After you have your FIRST Advanced Solar Panel, now you can start storing your free EU and make spam of it, I made 18 of it after playing for around 20 hours (from zero) in a SSP..and by that time 128 EU/t is really nothing..

Not really, I only end up with additional 10 casings or so.. The unused casings from upgrading the blast furnace can be used to build the grinder and implosion compressor.. and who knows what he will implement later, he updates it nearly everyday..

Fortune is always better for diamonds and gems, since you can only get.. less than 2 diamonds after using the Grinder and Implosion Compressor, and fyi you can't turn Gem dust into Gem anymore..

Zelfana

Jul 29, 2019
You can always make the second and third industrial blast furnace/grinders controller box, that multiblock casings can support 4, my suggestion: use it along with advanced solar panel..
I didn't even want to go into how it actually works in the end. Kind of got frustrated with the thing even in creative. My point is, people were complaining about needing magma cream to get steel but this thing doesn't fix that the correct way at all. I'd rather "risk" my life getting a few blazes than wasting all that iron to make steel.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
I didn't even want to go into how it actually works in the end. Kind of got frustrated with the thing even in creative. My point is, people were complaining about needing magma cream to get steel but this thing doesn't fix that the correct way at all. I'd rather "risk" my life getting a few blazes than wasting all that iron to make steel.

Only around 90 Irons for the casings and 40 Irons for the box (.. usually get it within 1-2 hours mining in a cave), and I believe finding a cave is a lot easier than finding a nether fortress (at least for me)..

If there's something I'd like to say, the thing makes Railcraft Blast Furnace obsolete.. and btw after you upgrading it to 34 reinforced casings, you can use 16 of the unused standard to make the grinder, and 8 to make the implosion comp (to turn diamond dusts to diamond)..

WTFFFS

Jul 29, 2019
Only around 90 Irons for the casings and 40 Irons for the box (.. usually get it within 1-2 hours mining in a cave), and I believe finding a cave is a lot easier than finding a nether fortress (at least for me)..

If there's something I'd like to say, the thing makes Railcraft Blast Furnace obsolete.. and btw after you upgrading it to 34 reinforced casings, you can use 16 of the unused standard to make the grinder, and 8 to make the implosion comp (to turn diamond dusts to diamond)..
It's actually even cheaper if you do build a RC blast furnace first, aluminium which is a byproduct of getting Titanium for your drill (later version of Gregtech where you need titanium for the diamond drill) makes casings as well and can be processed in the RC blast furnace.

noskk

Jul 29, 2019
It's actually even cheaper if you do build a RC blast furnace first, aluminium which is a byproduct of getting Titanium for your drill (later version of Gregtech where you need titanium for the diamond drill) makes casings as well and can be processed in the RC blast furnace.

nah, I usually have bad luck finding nether fortress.. haha..

Kuges

Jul 29, 2019
(later version of Gregtech where you need titanium for the diamond drill)

Don't forget that the quarry no longer uses a diamond Pick, but a diamond drill.

And the basic Solar Panel now needs the industrial blast furnace and centrifuge to make. IT's almost like he keeps moving the goal posts. I'm beginning to think he is doing it for the lulz.

Status
Not open for further replies.